Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Red House

antimatter

I don't know what he used on the recording but I saw Hendrix play live in April 1968 in Troy N.Y. and along with several Strats, he had a black Les Paul which he did use on only one number and that was Redhouse. There were no Flying V's on the stage at that time - I believe he start using occassionally afterwards.

I don't have a problem with other players taking a stab at Redhouse. It is a classic 12/8 slow blues tune which is easily recognizable by most people and a real crowd pleaser. Our band usually plays it at most gigs and it goes over well. I do cop some of the more memorable Jimi licks but mostly use my own (Jimi admittedly borrowed licks from other guitarists, notably Albert King so what's the harm?). I look it as a tribute to Hendrix which also helps to keep his music alive with some younger fans and players.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Lancer:

I don't know what he used on the recording but I saw Hendrix play live in April 1968 in Troy N.Y. and along with several Strats, he had a black Les Paul which he did use on only one number and that was Redhouse. There were no Flying V's on the stage at that time - I believe he start using occassionally afterwards.

I don't have a problem with other players taking a stab at Redhouse. It is a classic 12/8 slow blues tune which is easily recognizable by most people and a real crowd pleaser. Our band usually plays it at most gigs and it goes over well. I do cop some of the more memorable Jimi licks but mostly use my own (Jimi admittedly borrowed licks from other guitarists, notably Albert King so what's the harm?). I look it as a tribute to Hendrix which also helps to keep his music alive with some younger fans and players.

Once again :thu::thu::D:D
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

"Geeeeez i'm wondering

if i'm one of those bad cover band's,and your

out in the crowed ready to puke when i go in

to the opening of a hendrix or srv.I guess i'll

never be the same..........wait look at that sexy

little blonde giving me the eye.......screw the

the other guitar player in the crowed you'll never

be good enough for his liking any way.The blonde

though she will love it to death."

Hey, there ya go! :evil::D

Go for the blonde, I like her brunette friend. They seem to be all into your cover of "Takin' Care of Business"... I'll just grit my teeth and focus on their bump-'n'-grind action... ! :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

"Geeeeez i'm wondering

if i'm one of those bad cover band's,and your

out in the crowed ready to puke when i go in

to the opening of a hendrix or srv.I guess i'll

never be the same..........wait look at that sexy

little blonde giving me the eye.......screw the

the other guitar player in the crowed you'll never

be good enough for his liking any way.The blonde

though she will love it to death."

Hey, there ya go! :evil::D

Go for the blonde, I like her brunette friend. They seem to be all into your cover of "Takin' Care of Business"... I'll just grit my teeth and focus on their bump-'n'-grind action... ! :thu:

Bless you my brother you speak words of wisdom.
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

There have been numerous Hendrix "tribute" type things and huge numbers of bands covering some parts of his material in the years since his demise.

I've seen many of these... some that do "note for note" style rendidtions, others who try to infuse their own take...

Of the latter, an early example is the version of Little Wing on the Layla album... kind of a cool version for sure.

Of the full on tribute guys, one in particular really impressed me...

Randy Hansen.

He did a "Broadway" type show, meaning he took on the whole Hendrix personna, including makeup and wig, (he's a white guy), full on gymnastics, tongue wagging, playing behind his head, humping the amp, all of it...

He was really quite good, and can certainly play many songs with note for note accuracy and passion even long improvizations like Machine Gun...

So he's doing his "gymnastic set"... Fire, Foxy Lady, Purple Haze... then he walks up to the front of the raised stage... sits down, crosses his legs...

And plays Red House. I mean REALLY does a Hendrix version of it... Amazing, passionate, creative...

No humping, no histrionics... just played his ASS off...

Never saw Jimi live... (except in movies)... Randy was the next best thing.

:thu:

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by guitplayer:

There have been numerous Hendrix "tribute" type things and huge numbers of bands covering some parts of his material in the years since his demise.

I've seen many of these... some that do "note for note" style rendidtions, others who try to infuse their own take...

Of the latter, an early example is the version of Little Wing on the Layla album... kind of a cool version for sure.

Of the full on tribute guys, one in particular really impressed me...

Randy Hansen.

He did a "Broadway" type show, meaning he took on the whole Hendrix personna, including makeup and wig, (he's a white guy), full on gymnastics, tongue wagging, playing behind his head, humping the amp, all of it...

He was really quite good, and can certainly play many songs with note for note accuracy and passion even long improvizations like Machine Gun...

So he's doing his "gymnastic set"... Fire, Foxy Lady, Purple Haze... then he walks up to the front of the raised stage... sits down, crosses his legs...

And plays Red House. I mean REALLY does a Hendrix version of it... Amazing, passionate, creative...

No humping, no histrionics... just played his ASS off...

Never saw Jimi live... (except in movies)... Randy was the next best thing.

:thu:

guitplayer

I've never seen or heard

randy but i remember reading about him i'm pretty

sure in the late 70's how he nail's hendrix,and how al hendrix jimi's father liked randy.Way cool

my friend :cool:

Randy Hansen. Yeah, I've seen him too. Here in Vancouver B.C. He is amazing. He threw his Strat so high up in the air and caught it without losing anything. That was a long time ago. :thu:
Don't sell anything. Just keep it all. Let it pile up and see it grow tall. Up thru the roof and into the sky. More is always better so pile it sky high.

as far as playing red house goes, i love to play that song live. i don't try to play like jimi at all tho. i'm a blues player and it's a blues song so like any other blues song that i play, the only thing that is the same is the words. for me it's basically a vehicle for a blues jam. i still use my own style and i have never done it the same way twice. i've never gotten into trying to imitate anyone elses style. i have my own.

Well, Teahead, I DID say "except for a few" when referring to Jimi being filmed on an "off day". Woodstock IS one of those exceptions.

Hope that clears it up.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Sure Whitefang, I wasn't barking back at you or anything. It was kind of one of those 'Posts to yourself' that we all make sometimes.

I read yours and instantly thought, in Jimis defence, of that Woodstock set, as you said, it's one of the exceptions. Next I watched the Isle of White show and it is, admittedly, very poor compared to it.

No bad, I spent most of the afternoon watching Woodstock, and then went and listened to the 2CD set afterwards! Thanks for the reminder, Tea.

Originally posted by Teahead:

Sure Whitefang, I wasn't barking back at you or anything. It was kind of one of those 'Posts to yourself' that we all make sometimes.

I read yours and instantly thought, in Jimis defence, of that Woodstock set, as you said, it's one of the exceptions. Next I watched the Isle of White show and it is, admittedly, very poor compared to it.

No bad, I spent most of the afternoon watching Woodstock, and then went and listened to the 2CD set afterwards! Thanks for the reminder, Tea.

Wait hold the phone:If im not mistaken

didn't james go on about 2:30 in the morning in

the rain?Machine Gun with the flying V was the

most emotional live songs he did.By poor what

are you saying his playing,sound?I guess two

people can look at the same thing and see two

different thing's.I'm a big hendrix fan anything

i can find hear see i'm filled with happy happy

joy joy feelings, so see ya on the next world

and don't be late :wave:Plus Hendrix's family

remasterd it on DVD,and i think eddie kramer

was involved with the project.

Originally posted by DIRTYWATERDOG:

just wanted to point out that at the isle of wright jimi played machine gun with a strat. however red house on the flying v from that show is one of jimi's great moments to me. i have the dvd and the double cd of the performance.

Originally posted by exactopposite:

Originally posted by DIRTYWATERDOG:

just wanted to point out that at the isle of wright jimi played machine gun with a strat. however red house on the flying v from that show is one of jimi's great moments to me. i have the dvd and the double cd of the performance.
:thu:I have the soundtrack recording

where he plays machine gun from isle of wight

on cassette just roars with anger.Seen the movie

once or twice could not remember what guitar

it was.But when i seen the movie years ago,i

remember him killing it on the flying v.No matter

what my point was Under the circumstances he

rocked his ass off thank you very much. :wave:

Archived