Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I saw Pat Metheny last night!

Steevo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metheny is one of my favorites. One of my heros. Of course my current favorite is Nguyen Le, but that changes weekly.

Where was he playing and with what group? That guitar is pretty wack. It must be great being able to have guitar luthiers make stuff for you all the time.

Wait a minute. You mean to say you didn't buy my book too?!! :(:):P:D

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Metheny is one of my all time favorites. I've seen him many times over the last 15 years in several different band formations. He still continues to amaze me !!!!! I try to slip a bit of GR-300 or Lyle's OB flute patch into my pop/R&B productions but my partner always shoots me down :(

Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

I've seen him 3 times here in FL, the last time up close at the House of Blues in Orlando. simply amazing. the caliber of the players and the way they play together is something to be seen. Pat always has a nice visual show as well, nothing super flashy, but interesting to watch considering they are not rock guys running around the stage posing, etc. ANY time you get a chance to see him,i would recommend it. Just Pat alone is worth the price of admission, but the whole band will astound you.
Those who can,do. Those who cannot, usually run the monitor mix.

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Where was he playing and with what group?

I know he's playing Buffalo in November in a solo/trio concert. His trio is now Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez. :eek: I saw Pat play alongside a 19-20 yr. old Christian McBride many years ago, as sidemen for an equally young and talently Joshua Redman. I loved the finesse of the Metheny/Larry Grenadier/Bill Stewart trio. This one would seem to have more muscle and a deep groove. Hope they record.

Cool! I've always loved that "Pikasso" guitar, Linda Manzer built that, right? Could you tell us more about how he played that toboggan, live? As well as other details that you noted throughout his performance.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey Henry ... after reading my post it does indeed seem that I passed on your imaginary book in favor of Metheny's imaginary book ... ooops! :rolleyes: Anyway, Pat was in Paducah, KY of all places. There were only 200-300 people there. He played with his trio ... Christian McBride and Antonio Sanchez. Unbelievable. Off the top he did 4 tunes solo, the 4th tune on the Pikasso. The low end on that thing is incredible. I'm not sure what the tuning is but it goes waaaay low. He plays a lot of the bass lines with his thumb over the top of the neck.

It seemed like on most of the solo acoustic stuff that he had a string section tracking via MIDI ... very subtle, very nice.

Then he picked up the blond Ibanez and did the trio stuff. Last tune he played the Roland with the signature trumpet samples and pinned everyone in their seats!

I got to meet Pat after the show. We do have ONE thing in common in that we both went to the University of Miami. However, Pat was only there for a week and a half and they asked him to teach instead of being a student. I was there a couple of years later, and even though he had moved on, the effect he had on the school was profound.

:wave:

i have a great bootleg of pat's show here in salt lake earlier this year with the whole band. any good trades out there?

knocks my socks off every time. "i can see your house from here" with scofield is one of my fav's. fun and loose. my other fav is "question and answer." roy haynes is sick and wrong :thu:

I had bought Metheny albums for years, including the live ones. However I was totally unprepared for how good his music sounds live. While alot of bands sound muddy and their playing isn't up to snuff in a live situation, PMG was better sounding live and the soloes everyone took were actually sometimes better than on records. I guess since jazz musicians live to improvise, the joy of playing for the moment really shines though where as on a record they may be a little imhibited.

Archived