Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi Myles,

I play bass and guitar. I would like to have a very versatile rig for the lower volume gigs that I tend to play.

I have been thinking about using the Univalve as my guitar amp through a 2x12 and also as a preamp for my bass rig running it through a power amp into an Acme LowB.

What is your opinion? Would the Uni make a nice bass preamp with the right combo of preamp tubes?

BTW it's really great having your wealth of info to draw from. I really appreciate you helpfulness. Just wanted you to know that.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Hey Myles,

Don't know if this is your area, but i think it just might be. COuld you please run down the differences between the types of watts for me? I know that solid state, class A, and class A/B exist. I think class A is the best (not sure) and am pretty sure its the most powerful. Are there other types? Can you just run the most common down for me? Tnx in advance

Originally posted by sgguitarzz:

I was just curious what the difference was between the KT66HP's and 6L6's in general and if I were to get a set of KT66HP's what should the tubes be rated at (4,5,6, etc).

Also, I had the amp all set and sounding pretty nice. I put in some Svetlana 6L6's I had and biased them at 30mA. I then tried throwing in some Yellowjackets just to see how they would sound and something must have blown because the power tube trouble light stays lit red all the time now even with other power tubes in there and there is extremely low distorted output. Fender was no help so I took it in to a tech to check out. I guess sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous :( . Hopefully it won't be too bad. I have no luck sometimes.

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by sgguitarzz:

Thanks.

This sounds like the JJs are pretty weak.

I prefer GEs or KT66HPs in the amp at 30mA.

V1 I use a 12AX7C or the new 12AX7M, V2 a 12AY7 actually. Matched phase inverter too.

The JJ's are brand new. Maybe I should send them back if possible and exchange them for other power tubes. I just received the 12AX7M and will try it in V1. I also put in a balanced PI as well. I put in a Mullard CV4024 for the reverb driver. Definitely better than the GT 12AT7 that was there before.I put JJ's in V4,V6 and V7.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

You are more than welcome.[/QB][/QB]

I would send back the JJs.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by Clapton_Fan111:

Hey Myles,

Don't know if this is your area, but i think it just might be. COuld you please run down the differences between the types of watts for me? I know that solid state, class A, and class A/B exist. I think class A is the best (not sure) and am pretty sure its the most powerful. Are there other types? Can you just run the most common down for me? Tnx in advance

This is all covered in detail in my Tube Primer 3.02 downloadable off my website.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by exactopposite:

Originally posted by myles111:

hey myles

i got a preamp tube as a part of a trade and i'd like to get some info on it

the wrting on the tube says:

NATIONAL

MADE IN USA

i put it in my amp and it works and sounds great i'm just curious to know more about it. i'd appeciate any info you have on the topic.

This is just a industrial 12AX7 designation. It has no special merit from a high $$$ point and may just be work keeping if you like it sonically.
when i really gave it a listen it had WAY too much treble for my likes even with the treble turned down to about 2. i put it in my v1 slot and an e1 12ax7 in v2. it may have just been a case of 2 bright tubes back to back in the signal, but i went back to my jj 12ax7's. i'll keep them for spare phase inverters i guess.

thanx again for the info

Lots of folks love the new 12AX7M to tone down brightness.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by reachjkh:

Hi Myles,

I play bass and guitar. I would like to have a very versatile rig for the lower volume gigs that I tend to play.

I have been thinking about using the Univalve as my guitar amp through a 2x12 and also as a preamp for my bass rig running it through a power amp into an Acme LowB.

What is your opinion? Would the Uni make a nice bass preamp with the right combo of preamp tubes?

BTW it's really great having your wealth of info to draw from. I really appreciate you helpfulness. Just wanted you to know that.

Just try it I guess. I love the UV as a preamp but I think it would have too much front end gain even in the lower section and the tone stack is not applicable for bass. Still, try it, you may like it. It is all personal taste in the end.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I'm a bass player that normally runs through a SS amp, but I just bought a Digitech BP8 multi-fx, which includes a tube preamp. It uses this for warmth in the clean stages and it also has some distortions. The tube is a generic 12AX7. It's fine clean, but I'd like to have more gain in the saturated distortions, because I sometimes have to fill sound in my band almost like a rhythm guitarist. Is there a tube that might work as a replacement for ranging from just a slight drive to a pretty harsh distortion? I can handle a loss of gain, if that's a necessary tradeoff. I know it's a basic question, but I know very little about tube amps, having never really used one.

edit: never mind. Reading your tube primer now, as I should have done before posting. Great stuff. Thanks.

Originally posted by myles111: ...Just try it I guess. I love the UV as a preamp but I think it would have too much front end gain even in the lower section and the tone stack is not applicable for bass...
Thanks, unfortunately I don't have one to try it on.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

Hey Myles,

I'm a bass player that normally runs through a SS amp, but I just bought a Digitech BP8 multi-fx, which includes a tube preamp. It uses this for warmth in the clean stages and it also has some distortions. The tube is a generic 12AX7. It's fine clean, but I'd like to have more gain in the saturated distortions, because I sometimes have to fill sound in my band almost like a rhythm guitarist. Is there a tube that might work as a replacement for ranging from just a slight drive to a pretty harsh distortion? I can handle a loss of gain, if that's a necessary tradeoff. I know it's a basic question, but I know very little about tube amps, having never really used one.

edit: never mind. Reading your tube primer now, as I should have done before posting. Great stuff. Thanks.

Thomas,

Grab an ECC83S (JJ) from Bob Pletka at www.eurotubes.com and tell him to find one on his VTV tester that shows over 115 if he can.

You can do the same with Doug Preston at www.dougstubes.com

They are both super guys .... Doug is on the east coast and Bob is on the west coast so take your pick.

If you are in the middle of the country, then it's Mike at www.kcanostubes.com and all three of these guys have the ultra pricy and accurate VTV small signal tube tester:

http://www.vacuumtube.com/tubetester.jpeg1.jpg

and info on this tester is at:

http://www.vacuumtube.com/toppage31.htm if you want to learn a bit more.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

Awesome. I just e-mailed Doug. Thanks a lot.

Thomas .........

You are more than welcome.

Doug Preston is an ultra cool dude. I use him for all my tour support when I have folks I support on the east coast. He has never let me down.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

yeah i've been wanting to try some of those. i'll have to see if i can find a local GT dealer that has them the guitar center near me never has anything other than sovtek and jj in 12ax7's. i wanna try some of the 12ax7c's as well.

btw while on the topic of tubes. does GT carry the EH el84? i have a pair of them in my amp and i really dig them. i'd like to go with the gt tested ones if they are availible.

yeah i've been wanting to try some of those. i'll have to see if i can find a local GT dealer that has them the guitar center near me never has anything other than sovtek and jj in 12ax7's. i wanna try some of the 12ax7c's as well.

btw while on the topic of tubes. does GT carry the EH el84? i have a pair of them in my amp and i really dig them. i'd like to go with the gt tested ones if they are availible.

We do not have the EH EL84 yet for a sale item but they are very nice. I am still testing them:

TUBE CURRENT IN mA

EL-84

Chinese EL84 6/27/03 39.0

EL-84 Sovtek 44.6

EL-84S JJ 45.3

Philips EL-84 46.5

General Electric 6BQ5 48.0

EL-84Y Ei 53.0

Electro Harmonix 56.7

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I left a post a while ago about what you thought would be a great amp for both fusion and bebop. You recommended a Quiana with KT66hp's. Well I still have not pulled the trigger on an amp and have been thinking of going to a rack system instead. Originally you thought that the Groove tubes Soul-O 75 was too much amp. What about the Trio? I could get a smaller power amp like 50 watts a side. I's it midi controlable?

Thanks,

Jeff

Failure is the path of least persistence.

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

Myles,

I left a post a while ago about what you thought would be a great amp for both fusion and bebop. You recommended a Quiana with KT66hp's. Well I still have not pulled the trigger on an amp and have been thinking of going to a rack system instead. Originally you thought that the Groove tubes Soul-O 75 was too much amp. What about the Trio? I could get a smaller power amp like 50 watts a side. I's it midi controlable?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

The trio has a midi control option and is a very versitile preamp:

Lots of info here:

http://www.groovetubes.com/amps_preamps.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=136

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I finally did it and bought a used Quiana Stuio 112. I had left some posts before in my research and you recommended either KT66HP's or the new 6L6GE's for power tubes. I wanted your advice on Preamp tubes. Which preamp tubes should I use in which location? I know there are a lot of vendors. Some guys recommend JJ's in V1 What do you think. Also Do you need to bias preamp tubes? I suppose it all depends on what kind of performance you want. That's why you blue print right?

Thanks for your help. I should have my amp in a week or so it is coming from New York State.

Best,

Jeff

Myles,

I finally did it and bought a used Quiana Stuio 112. I had left some posts before in my research and you recommended either KT66HP's or the new 6L6GE's for power tubes. I wanted your advice on Preamp tubes. Which preamp tubes should I use in which location? I know there are a lot of vendors. Some guys recommend JJ's in V1 What do you think. Also Do you need to bias preamp tubes? I suppose it all depends on what kind of performance you want. That's why you blue print right?

Thanks for your help. I should have my amp in a week or so it is coming from New York State.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff,

No bias needed on preamp tubes.

V1 and V2 are the critical ones.

I use R3's and 12AX7C's most often. I prefer the 12AX7C's the most.

If you want to come up from San Diego one weekend I would be happy to swap a bunch of different ones in and out as you played, and whatever you find you love we'd just leave in there.

No charge .... it would be a favor as I am somewhat close to Paul and the folks at Rivera and have a fondness for their amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

current theoretical* scenario:

I have a Marshall TSL 100. (great amp) I run it thru a 1960 Vintage 4x12 slant cab to help smooth out the sound. It kind of works, but not enough.

Anyone, what would work best to improve the sound? Changing the power amp tubes, or preamp tubes? Perhaps the driver tube? I'd want to achieve some smoothness with little sacrifice in gain, particularly on the super-face-melting third channel.

Ideas?

(* meaning I don't actually own one... yet. :) )

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

current theoretical* scenario:

I have a Marshall TSL 100. (great amp) I run it thru a 1960 Vintage 4x12 slant cab to help smooth out the sound. It kind of works, but not enough.

Anyone, what would work best to improve the sound? Changing the power amp tubes, or preamp tubes? Perhaps the driver tube? I'd want to achieve some smoothness with little sacrifice in gain, particularly on the super-face-melting third channel.

Ideas?

(* meaning I don't actually own one... yet. :) )

What tubes are in the amp now in V1, V2 and the output tubes?

What is the bias set at?

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles.

Thanks! I sould have the amp in a week or so then all I'll have to do is find a free weekend day. But yes definately, I have got to take you up on that offer. I emailed Rivera about doing the Nija Mod on it and they emailed me right back on getting it done, 4 week turn around. I hate to get an amp and then give it up for a month but it might be worth it in the long run.

I'll contact you after I get the amp and know a little more about my schedule and then maybe we can get our schedules to match.

You Dah Man!

Jeff

Hey Myles, im having a bit of a crisis here. i have a show this coming friday(30th) and my 2002 marshall jcm2000 tsl60 head is messing up on me. today towards the end of practice i was playing and all of a sudden the sound faded out on me. the power was still on but there was no sound. when i went to the back two of my preamp tubes were not lit up. i turned the amp on and off but still no sound. so i came back about 10 min later and turned on the amp and everything was fine. all my tubes were lit. it has happened once or twice before but its always come back on within a sec. this time it took a bit too long. we do have alot of stuff plugged in down there so that might be it. what you think it is? do i need new tubes? or do i just need to feed my amp more power? thanks so much for any help

Ryan

Myles.

Thanks! I sould have the amp in a week or so then all I'll have to do is find a free weekend day. But yes definately, I have got to take you up on that offer. I emailed Rivera about doing the Nija Mod on it and they emailed me right back on getting it done, 4 week turn around. I hate to get an amp and then give it up for a month but it might be worth it in the long run.

I'll contact you after I get the amp and know a little more about my schedule and then maybe we can get our schedules to match.

You Dah Man!

Jeff

Jeff....

Keep in touch.

When you are ready just give me a call during the early part of the day at GT.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by TheCuriousOne:

Hey Myles, im having a bit of a crisis here. i have a show this coming friday(30th) and my 2002 marshall jcm2000 tsl60 head is messing up on me. today towards the end of practice i was playing and all of a sudden the sound faded out on me. the power was still on but there was no sound. when i went to the back two of my preamp tubes were not lit up. i turned the amp on and off but still no sound. so i came back about 10 min later and turned on the amp and everything was fine. all my tubes were lit. it has happened once or twice before but its always come back on within a sec. this time it took a bit too long. we do have alot of stuff plugged in down there so that might be it. what you think it is? do i need new tubes? or do i just need to feed my amp more power? thanks so much for any help

Ryan

Ryan,

I'd need to see the amp on a bench.

First, what kind of tubes did you not see lit up? Some 12AX7s have encased heaters that are not easily (or at all) visible.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Myles,

In jzgtrguy's thread asking about preamp tubes (PreAmp Tube suggestions for Quiana), CatBoy mentions audiotubes dot com.

Do you know anything about them?

Dave the Curious

Dave,

I do not know anything about them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Miles,

I just obtained an old piece of gear with the intention of using it as an experimentation platform for guitar amp circuits. Its actually an old PA head but the output section is a push-pull 6V6. The front end consist of three mic inputs with 5879s. Ive never heard of these. What are they and where might I find info on them?

Hey Myles, I'm torn between speaker or tubes replacement. Here's the facts.

I've got a Crate V1512 amp. I like the sound, alot. HC reviews talk about replacing the stock speaker with a Celestion G12H30 to get more tone and versatility. More classic rock sound. That's my sound, in part. Blues and alternative too.

I want it to drip the blues, and crunch up when needed. I don't need a Metallica or an Insane setting. I'd rather have a good clean and blues crunch available. I use a Fuzz, Mystic Blues and Tubescreamer. I do like some gain when I go clean. I RARELY go COMPLETELY clean.

Other V1512 users report the need for more mids. I have to agree. Is that a function of the speaker?

Here's the break down:

Crate V1512 Amp (no mods)

Using a Crate V-Series 12" Speaker

15 Watts - All Tube

Class A Design

Three 12AX7 Preamp Tubes

Two EL84 Power Tubes

Groove Tubes

External Speaker Jack

16 Ohm Operation

Spring Reverb

To get more tone and more mids, would you recommend speaker replacement or would a set of tubes be the way to get this done? Will the sound be noticeably improved, or could I be at the point of diminishing returns?

Thanks!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Truman:

Hey Miles,

I just obtained an old piece of gear with the intention of using it as an experimentation platform for guitar amp circuits. Its actually an old PA head but the output section is a push-pull 6V6. The front end consist of three mic inputs with 5879s. Ive never heard of these. What are they and where might I find info on them?

Truman,

These are small pentodes and there is no replacement. Try www.kcanostubes.com

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

Hey Myles, I'm torn between speaker or tubes replacement. Here's the facts.

I've got a Crate V1512 amp. I like the sound, alot. HC reviews talk about replacing the stock speaker with a Celestion G12H30 to get more tone and versatility. More classic rock sound. That's my sound, in part. Blues and alternative too.

I want it to drip the blues, and crunch up when needed. I don't need a Metallica or an Insane setting. I'd rather have a good clean and blues crunch available. I use a Fuzz, Mystic Blues and Tubescreamer. I do like some gain when I go clean. I RARELY go COMPLETELY clean.

Other V1512 users report the need for more mids. I have to agree. Is that a function of the speaker?

Here's the break down:

Crate V1512 Amp (no mods)

Using a Crate V-Series 12" Speaker

15 Watts - All Tube

Class A Design

Three 12AX7 Preamp Tubes

Two EL84 Power Tubes

Groove Tubes

External Speaker Jack

16 Ohm Operation

Spring Reverb

To get more tone and more mids, would you recommend speaker replacement or would a set of tubes be the way to get this done? Will the sound be noticeably improved, or could I be at the point of diminishing returns?

Thanks!

Mike,

Try tubes first, cheaper and easier.

V1 and V2 12AX7C, not the R's that came in the amp.

Output tubes; EL84S in a #4 rating.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr