Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi Myles,

I think I may have asked you this a good while back, but I don't remember.

I have a MusicMan 212 HD with Peavey Scorpion speakers in it, and quite frankly it sounds bad. The clean is passable, but noticeably flat. It's got no sparkle to it. Overdriven (via Voodoo Lab sparkledrive, Boss SD-1, or Tech21 Double Drive), just doesn't cut it. It's also got Sovtek EL34's. What speakers do you recommend for it, or what do you recommend in general. I'd hate to get rid of it, but rarely use it...

Thanks, lg64strat...

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Myles,

Finally got my PRS Hollowbody II; it's absolutely fantastic. The combination of the pickups and Baggs piezo is stunning, especially when run thru two different systems. The piezo, however, does not sound as good thru my guitar amps as it does thru my powered monitors (as expected).

What are your recommendations for an acoustic guitar amp for the piezo? Also, when recording the piezo direct, do you recommend any type of box/pre-amp/etc. between the guitar and the input to enhance the piezo sound?

Thanks.

On acoustic these days I use a GT DITTO live (and use the house system) and use the same to go direct.

It is small and portable and live, it lets you take advantage of the house EQ and their racks of amps.

Myles,

What about studio situations where I do not want to go direct, but prefer to hear it (or record it) thru a speaker? The Ditto would require a power amp + speaker, I presume. Is there a system or amplifier you recommend that would also have a line out to serve both functions?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by mchen:

Myles,

Thanks so much for the information. I guess I need to find an amp tech. Any ideas for someone in Denver, Grand Junction or Salt Lake?

Thanks for the great service you provide to us!!!!

If you ever need a free irrigation design....

Mark

Mark,

Check on my website in the techs area. I know I have somebody great in Las Vegas, but don't remember if I have somebody in your area.

Maybe call some of the better music stores in your area and see if they can recommend somebody.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by lg64strat:

Hi Myles,

I think I may have asked you this a good while back, but I don't remember.

I have a MusicMan 212 HD with Peavey Scorpion speakers in it, and quite frankly it sounds bad. The clean is passable, but noticeably flat. It's got no sparkle to it. Overdriven (via Voodoo Lab sparkledrive, Boss SD-1, or Tech21 Double Drive), just doesn't cut it. It's also got Sovtek EL34's. What speakers do you recommend for it, or what do you recommend in general. I'd hate to get rid of it, but rarely use it...

Thanks, lg64strat...

In your amp I love the Celestions G-12H-100's if you can find them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Finally got my PRS Hollowbody II; it's absolutely fantastic. The combination of the pickups and Baggs piezo is stunning, especially when run thru two different systems. The piezo, however, does not sound as good thru my guitar amps as it does thru my powered monitors (as expected).

What are your recommendations for an acoustic guitar amp for the piezo? Also, when recording the piezo direct, do you recommend any type of box/pre-amp/etc. between the guitar and the input to enhance the piezo sound?

Thanks.

On acoustic these days I use a GT DITTO live (and use the house system) and use the same to go direct.

It is small and portable and live, it lets you take advantage of the house EQ and their racks of amps.

Myles,

What about studio situations where I do not want to go direct, but prefer to hear it (or record it) thru a speaker? The Ditto would require a power amp + speaker, I presume. Is there a system or amplifier you recommend that would also have a line out to serve both functions?

Thanks again.

WaterMan ..............

A Rivera Sedona....

http://www.rivera.com/prod_sedona.htm

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

quote:

Myles,

Thanks.

Myles,

Thanks again.
WaterMan ..............

A Rivera Sedona....

Wow! Looks like a great amp. It's about $2000, however, and since you've already cost me a few million dollars ;) via equipment recommendations, I'm trying to cut back. Maybe I'll look at the GT and run through my powered monitors -- would that work well?

Also, how's the Fender Acoustasonic?

Hey Myles, you recommended the 5V4 rectifier lately for my AC30 reissue. When I phoned Watford Valves the guy advised against me using it as it would invalidate my warranty.

Is it perfectly safe? Is he just being over cautious?

Also, I heard that a 5Y3GT as a rectifier would be safe as the reissues have a standby switch to protect the tube on power up. Apparently this causes more voltage sag than the 5V4, and exaggerates the effects on tone that it has. Have you tried one of these in an AC30?

With your approval I'm going to get one of each of these to try out. Can I do some damage to my amp?

Thanks for your help, Tea.

quote:

quote:

Myles,

Thanks.

Myles,

Thanks again.
WaterMan ..............

A Rivera Sedona....

Wow! Looks like a great amp. It's about $2000, however, and since you've already cost me a few million dollars
;)
via equipment recommendations, I'm trying to cut back. Maybe I'll look at the GT and run through my powered monitors -- would that work well?

Also, how's the Fender Acoustasonic?

The Fender is very cool. Go play one. It is true 300 stereo and fills a room like you cannot even believe.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Teahead:

Hey Myles, you recommended the 5V4 rectifier lately for my AC30 reissue. When I phoned Watford Valves the guy advised against me using it as it would invalidate my warranty.

Is it perfectly safe? Is he just being over cautious?

Also, I heard that a 5Y3GT as a rectifier would be safe as the reissues have a standby switch to protect the tube on power up. Apparently this causes more voltage sag than the 5V4, and exaggerates the effects on tone that it has. Have you tried one of these in an AC30?

With your approval I'm going to get one of each of these to try out. Can I do some damage to my amp?

Thanks for your help, Tea.

Tea,

I have used both rectifiers in the AC-30 without problems.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles. I was thinking of trying of trying the GT 6L6 GE's in my Ampeg Reverberocket reissue. They will be replacing the JJ's I have in their now which are pretty nice as well. I am not sure of the exact hardness rating of the JJ's but was thinking of ordering something like a 6 as I need decent cleans and reasonable headroom. What do you think? Thanks.

myles

i just brought my first tube amp home today

(been in lay-away for a couple of weeks)

it is a crate bv 60 w/crate 4-12 slant front cab

found it in a local pawn shop for $400

my son (a 20 yr player & hard core tube amp guy)

went with me to check it out

we felt it was in good condition & a good value for the $'s

i had done a lot of "shopping" & tube amp prices are quite high relative to the digital stuff...

still having a couple of kids in school i was quite pleased to find this much amp for the price paid

aside from various guitars my rig consist of:

morley lil alligator volumn pedal

dunlop wah

boss ds-1

boss mt-2

boss rc-20 loop station

an older korg (free from a buddy) multi effects that i sometimes use for the chorus & flanger

i have never owned an amp with an effects loop before

how would you reccomend i arrange my various items going into the amp

it seems to me if i want all of the effects to be captured by the loop station all will need to go in the front with the guitar signal

however i have also read that some feel the distortion should be sent through the effects loop

what's the skinny in your opinion

thanks

happy playn

dr

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

Originally posted by sgguitarzz:

Hey Myles. I was thinking of trying of trying the GT 6L6 GE's in my Ampeg Reverberocket reissue. They will be replacing the JJ's I have in their now which are pretty nice as well. I am not sure of the exact hardness rating of the JJ's but was thinking of ordering something like a 6 as I need decent cleans and reasonable headroom. What do you think? Thanks.

sgguitarzz......

4-7's are the most versitile. 5-6 still have a lot of headroom as they are very strong 6L6 tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by daddy ray:

myles

i just brought my first tube amp home today

(been in lay-away for a couple of weeks)

it is a crate bv 60 w/crate 4-12 slant front cab

found it in a local pawn shop for $400

my son (a 20 yr player & hard core tube amp guy)

went with me to check it out

we felt it was in good condition & a good value for the $'s

i had done a lot of "shopping" & tube amp prices are quite high relative to the digital stuff...

still having a couple of kids in school i was quite pleased to find this much amp for the price paid

aside from various guitars my rig consist of:

morley lil alligator volumn pedal

dunlop wah

boss ds-1

boss mt-2

boss rc-20 loop station

an older korg (free from a buddy) multi effects that i sometimes use for the chorus & flanger

i have never owned an amp with an effects loop before

how would you reccomend i arrange my various items going into the amp

it seems to me if i want all of the effects to be captured by the loop station all will need to go in the front with the guitar signal

however i have also read that some feel the distortion should be sent through the effects loop

what's the skinny in your opinion

thanks

happy playn

dr

dr ....

Look here for many typical setups:

http://guitargeek.com

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

posted 02-26-2004 01:08 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myles,

You were kink enough to make some suggestions which amp might best serve my purposes and you suggested a Quiana with KT66HP's in it. I just revisited your website (nice update BTW) and read what you had to say about the GT6L6 GE Tubes. Would you still recommend the KT66's or the GT6L6GE's. To refresh your memory I play Jazz mostly currently using and Evans Custom amp JE200 and I have a Les Paul 72 gold top with Duncans when I want to play loud which I am doing more and more (can you say 'midlife cirsis treatment center' (:>))I had been using a Yamaha DG Stomp when when I wanted distortion but recently I picked up a Magic Stomp.

Best,

Failure is the path of least persistence.

Myles,

I have a Fender Hotrod Deluxe that is a 'bit loud' when crancked for tone. Is there a (cheap & safe) way to reduce the power, so I can turn up without being mistaken for a heavy metal guitar player?

Also, could I replace the 1x12" speaker with 2x10" ers of is it better to add a separate 2 (or 4) x 10" speaker cab

thx

jB

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Myles, just curious: what are your thoughts on Maven Peal amps, in particular the Ganesha (1- to 100-watt) and Tuskadaro (1- to 50-watt) "plexi"-heads with their "Sag" and "Wattage" controls?

If you've had the oportunity to check them out, how would you compare them to other "plexi"-style heads, such as the Wigle Purplexing heads?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by badblues:

Myles,

I have a Fender Hotrod Deluxe that is a 'bit loud' when crancked for tone. Is there a (cheap & safe) way to reduce the power, so I can turn up without being mistaken for a heavy metal guitar player?

Also, could I replace the 1x12" speaker with 2x10" ers of is it better to add a separate 2 (or 4) x 10" speaker cab

thx

jB

Here's some of the advice Myles gave to me when I was in a very similar situation. Check out this link to THDs "Yellow Jackets." I used them in my Hot Rod Deville and they do an excellent job of reducing the output of the amp.

They will change your sound a little, the amp will break up earlier and will have more lower midrange to the sound. Consiberably quieter in the amp than the stock output valves, and to me they were "thicker" in tone.

But, they're easy to install, cheap and quick to change back! THD also do a "Hotplate" attenuator. Click "here" for a link. Like the Dr. Z "Airbrake" this goes between your power amp and your speaker to "soak" the power of the amp at full tilt and allow volume reduction to playable stage levels. THD to a different coloured plate for specific Ohms ratings, where the Dr. Z Airbrake is suitable for almost any amp, making it a much more versatile piece of gear.

The attenuators will affect your tone too, but in a different way to the Yellow Jackets. I used a Hotplate for a while with my Deville, but ultimately I achieved better results with the Yellow Jackets, which are much cheaper. ;) I fell in love with the EL84 tubes so much I changed my amp for a Vox AC30!

This is all down to personal taste though, you should try all the options you can and see what works best for you.

Tea. :thu:

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

posted 02-26-2004 01:08 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myles,

You were kink enough to make some suggestions which amp might best serve my purposes and you suggested a Quiana with KT66HP's in it. I just revisited your website (nice update BTW) and read what you had to say about the GT6L6 GE Tubes. Would you still recommend the KT66's or the GT6L6GE's. To refresh your memory I play Jazz mostly currently using and Evans Custom amp JE200 and I have a Les Paul 72 gold top with Duncans when I want to play loud which I am doing more and more (can you say 'midlife cirsis treatment center' (:>))I had been using a Yamaha DG Stomp when when I wanted distortion but recently I picked up a Magic Stomp.

Best,

This is a hard call. Some Quiana folks love the GEs and others swear by the KT66HPs. I play Ludovic Pierson's Quiana a lot ... it has the KT66HP's in it. Paul Rivera said it made the amp sound "more creamy and vintage", it that means anything.

The HPs also sound very large at lower levels than a 6L6. The again, the GE's are a bit more defined and articulate at higher levels, especially if the mids are above 1/2 way up.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

thx

jB

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1778 is one item to try, or the THD Yellow Jacket.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Myles, just curious: what are your thoughts on Maven Peal amps, in particular the Ganesha (1- to 100-watt) and Tuskadaro (1- to 50-watt) "plexi"-heads with their "Sag" and "Wattage" controls?

If you've had the oportunity to check them out, how would you compare them to other "plexi"-style heads, such as the Wigle Purplexing heads?

The Mavel Peal amps are very nicely done. They are not as agressive as the Purplexing small block 100, but then again, few amps are. They are very different amps.

I personally steer clear of wattage and sag controls. Just more stuff in there to alter what is going on. That is just my personal take on this. In The Tube Amp Book (latest hard cover vesion), I have a piece in there on amps and wattage.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Teahead:

Myles,

thx

jB

Here's some of the advice Myles gave to me when I was in a very similar situation. Check out this link to THDs "Yellow Jackets." I used them in my Hot Rod Deville and they do an excellent job of reducing the output of the amp.

They will change your sound a little, the amp will break up earlier and will have more lower midrange to the sound. Consiberably quieter in the amp than the stock output valves, and to me they were "thicker" in tone.

But, they're easy to install, cheap and quick to change back! THD also do a "Hotplate" attenuator. Click "here" for a link. Like the Dr. Z "Airbrake" this goes between your power amp and your speaker to "soak" the power of the amp at full tilt and allow volume reduction to playable stage levels. THD to a different coloured plate for specific Ohms ratings, where the Dr. Z Airbrake is suitable for almost any amp, making it a much more versatile piece of gear.

The attenuators will affect your tone too, but in a different way to the Yellow Jackets. I used a Hotplate for a while with my Deville, but ultimately I achieved better results with the Yellow Jackets, which are much cheaper. ;) I fell in love with the EL84 tubes so much I changed my amp for a Vox AC30!

This is all down to personal taste though, you should try all the options you can and see what works best for you.

Tea. :thu:

Tea ....

Airbrake! I did not even think of this .... YES ... he also needs to try an Airbrake.

The PR928 / YJ idea give that cool cathode biased tone with the EL84's ... sort of like getting a whole new amp, but, if you like the sound of the amp and just want to drop the level, the Airbrake is the way to go:

http://www.drzamps.com/airbrake.html

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles & Tea

Thx for all the info :thu: , I'm going to find out what I can get my hands on here in Belgium to give it a try, and when I find what I need, I'll be sure to let you know!

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Myles,

Thanks again! It's nice to have choices. I'll try the Kt66's first, if I don't like them I'll try the 6l6's. Got to buy the amp first. I have my eye on a Quiana head. Hey do you know anything about Tone Tubby Speakers and cabinets? I was thinking if I get the head of using on of there cabinets.

Best,

Jeff

Failure is the path of least persistence.

Hi Myles,

I have a Fender 94 Twin Amp (this is the predecessor to the current Pro Tube Twin, and was made from 94-01, has the switchable gain select in channel one as well as the second OD channel, NOT the Red Knob Twin) which I run on the low power setting (25 watts) 99% of the time. This setting works great for me in small to med. size clubs, usually set volume to a hair over 3, and just starts to get a little breakup when I dig in hard.

Im looking for a new amp, and would like to find something comparable to this setting on my Twin Amp, or maybe just a bit more headroom. Question is, how comparable is the 25 watt setting on my Twin Amp to a normal 25 watt rating? Its still using all 4 6L6s, so guessing the transformer output is being cut, and maybe some other things going on. Possible amps on my list are Carr Rambler (2-6L6/28 watts), TopHat Super Club Deluxe (2-6L6/33 watts), and Allen Accomplice (2-6L6/30 watts). Ive played the Carr in a store, but its always tough to get a feel for headroom with out playing in a live situation. As another reference, something with clean headroom between a Deluxe and Super Reverb is what Im looking for.

Is the 25 watt setting on the Twin Amp an apples to apples comparison with other amp wattage ratings (I realize that speaker efficiency, tube selection also have an impact)???

BTW, the GT re-tube you helped me with on this amp about a year ago has worked out great!

Thanks,

Eric

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

Myles,

Thanks again! It's nice to have choices. I'll try the Kt66's first, if I don't like them I'll try the 6l6's. Got to buy the amp first. I have my eye on a Quiana head. Hey do you know anything about Tone Tubby Speakers and cabinets? I was thinking if I get the head of using on of there cabinets.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff,

A lot of folks like the Tone Tubby stuff. It is really personal preference. I do not like hemp speakers myself, they are too stiff for my tastes and always seem to feel like they are not broken in. That is just my personal take though, many may disagree.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by ehv:

Hi Myles,

I have a Fender 94 Twin Amp (this is the predecessor to the current Pro Tube Twin, and was made from 94-01, has the switchable gain select in channel one as well as the second OD channel, NOT the Red Knob Twin) which I run on the low power setting (25 watts) 99% of the time. This setting works great for me in small to med. size clubs, usually set volume to a hair over 3, and just starts to get a little breakup when I dig in hard.

Im looking for a new amp, and would like to find something comparable to this setting on my Twin Amp, or maybe just a bit more headroom. Question is, how comparable is the 25 watt setting on my Twin Amp to a normal 25 watt rating? Its still using all 4 6L6s, so guessing the transformer output is being cut, and maybe some other things going on. Possible amps on my list are Carr Rambler (2-6L6/28 watts), TopHat Super Club Deluxe (2-6L6/33 watts), and Allen Accomplice (2-6L6/30 watts). Ive played the Carr in a store, but its always tough to get a feel for headroom with out playing in a live situation. As another reference, something with clean headroom between a Deluxe and Super Reverb is what Im looking for.

Is the 25 watt setting on the Twin Amp an apples to apples comparison with other amp wattage ratings (I realize that speaker efficiency, tube selection also have an impact)???

BTW, the GT re-tube you helped me with on this amp about a year ago has worked out great!

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

Your 25 watt setting is not close to that of most actual 25 watt amps. There is no output transformer saturation, and many other factors come into play. I have articles on this and wattage on my website in a tech tips area.

The Rambler .... amazing amp from my point of view, but not a lot of clean headroom.

The Allen is a killer amp .... lots of great tones, great build quality, very very very reliable on the road, dirt cheap for what you are getting, and nice headroom when it is wanted.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

Your 25 watt setting is not close to that of most actual 25 watt amps. There is no output transformer saturation, and many other factors come into play. I have articles on this and wattage on my website in a tech tips area.

The Rambler .... amazing amp from my point of view, but not a lot of clean headroom.

The Allen is a killer amp .... lots of great tones, great build quality, very very very reliable on the road, dirt cheap for what you are getting, and nice headroom when it is wanted.

Myles,

Thanks for the info, appreciate it! I loved the Carr, but am starting to lean towards the Allen Accomplice...... swap-able 6V6/6L6's for different levels of breakup, available in a head, and you can't beat the price, especially if you are up to a bit of soldering!! Would not have a chance to play one first, but he does have a 10 day tryout policy.

Thanks again,

Eric

Hi Myles,

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

Myles,

Thanks for the info, appreciate it! I loved the Carr, but am starting to lean towards the Allen Accomplice...... swap-able 6V6/6L6's for different levels of breakup, available in a head, and you can't beat the price, especially if you are up to a bit of soldering!! Would not have a chance to play one first, but he does have a 10 day tryout policy.

Thanks again,

Eric

Eric,

10 day return policy on an Allen amp? I'd love to know if anybody EVER excercised this option. I can't think of anybody that has any of the Allen amps that was not pretty darn happy from the first note.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr