Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi Myles,

Could you suggest some tubes for a 1999 Fender "Evil" Twin reverb circuit? I have JJ's in there now:

Drive: 12AT7 (V5)

Recovery: 12AX7 (V6)

They're a bit too shrill and thin sounding. What would recommend to warm up my 'verb?

BTW, thanks for generous wisdom - past, present and future...

David H.

Madison, WI.

Originally posted by 1815:

Hi there Myles,..thanks for your help,really kind..i´ll try to dismantle my amp to see whats inside,there´s no easy access into the tube socket,hope i can put it all back together again...i´ve read a lot about peolpe changing the tubes and geting a better sound or tone,...

as for Jerry Donahue,i´ve never saw him play live or something,i wish i could some day,..where i live theres not so much live music going,..he´s just a "great" guitar player,..when i was a tennager starting on guitar,and thought at the time i was a bit more into hard rock music,i loved his sound/tone when he was in Fairport Convencion,"Live Convention" was a vynil i listened a lot while practicing,so years latter when dicided to change my guitar´s pick-up i went search into his tone,..kind of...on a more jazzy feel,..best choice really.

Good man,Thanks,...

1815 .......

You are more than welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by lg64strat:

Hi Myles,

I finally had a chance to play through a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30, and I have a question for you. Let me say first of all that I was using a strat with single coils. I found the clean channel to be extremely bright. Even with the neck pick up, I had to set the brilliance down to about 7, or 8 o'clock at the highest. Now that being said, I'll tell you that the amp was sitting up off the floor about a foot and a half, but it still seems way too bright even for the two factors mentioned. I've never heard anyone say that they thought the clean channel was too trebley. I also played a Hot Cat 15 and it was the same. Any way to tame the high end?

Thanks for your help.

lg64strat...

lg64strat ........

In either amp, a 12AX7C in the first gain stage will help.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by nonfcomm:

Myles,

I recently ordered some tubes from Musician's Friend. I installed them in my amp and when the tremolo circuit in my amp is engaged, my amp makes a loud shooting noise like the amp was shorting out. I put the original tubes back in my amp and it worked properly. I sent an email to techsupport@groovetubes.com with the subject ATTN: Myles S. Rose. Thank you for your time.

Daniel Smith

Daniel,

If you sent an email to me at GT, it should have been answered by now.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by exactopposite:

i recall seeing some info on a new el84 tube from eh in a previous tube primer. are those tubes availible yet and if not when will they be availible?

i'm curious to know how they compare to jj el84's in terms of sound and reliability. right now i use jj el84's (#4)and 12ax7's in my crate v 1512. i really like the wasy it sounds with this configuration, but i'd give the eh a shot if they are decent tubes. i'm not so sure about trying the ei's since they are said to have a brighter sound and i like a somewhat dark tone.

so what's the scoop on the eh tubes?

exactopposite.......

The EH's are available out there ... as far as differences in tone and reliability, only time will tell.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Drolaw:

Hi Myles,

I visited your amp blue printing page specifically your article about the differences about amp wattage. My question is about the "volume" differences between a 50 watt amp and a 100 watt amp.

If I play a Marshall TSL60 (thinking of buying one) and my bandmate plays through a Marshall TSL100 (he already has one) can I match his "volume" simply by turning my "volume" up?

We both play through a Marshall 4x12 with vintage 30's (280w output). Considering he never plays his "volume" above "3" on any channel I'm hoping the answer is yes. I cannot see spending a couple of hundred dollars more for a 3bd difference, if I can match his "volume" by simply turning my amp to "4" or "5". NOTE: I'm using the volume numbers as a reference only.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim,

The 100 watter will only be about 3dB louder than the same amp at 50 watts, but the 100 watter will have more clean headroom and generally feel and play tighter.

This is one reason Jeff Beck does not use 100 watt Marshalls, he stays with 50 watters.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by hechtdavid:

Hi Myles,

Could you suggest some tubes for a 1999 Fender "Evil" Twin reverb circuit? I have JJ's in there now:

They're a bit too shrill and thin sounding. What would recommend to warm up my 'verb?

David H.

Madison, WI.

David,

This is all personal preference, and many other factors. Over at GT when folks ask me which tube to use, many times I have a canned answer:

Tube choice and selection is very much personal

taste and preference. You can find a document that

will go into this in great detail, and give you

information on tube types, characteristics, and also

on the rating system used by GT, conversion from

Mesa to GT and Fender to GT tables, matching information

and more.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com is the

website, and the document is the Tube Primer, v1.31

which has a link and button for download or viewing.

V1.31 is 47 pages and not too bad to download.

v3.20 is in two sections and about 200 total pages

total, if you want a LOT of info.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by jetboy:

hey Myles,

long time no questions (from me anyway ;) )

quite a while back you helped me set up my badcat cub with some suggestions on nos tubes. Worked out great and I'm still using the preamp tubes.

This year I got the itch to get some more fendery type sounds and had been thinking univalve so I could adjust it to taste. I was ready to buy it when I came across a Carr slant v6, I really liked the tone and overall sound and was ready to trade the badcat for it but couldn't swing the deal dollar wise.

so back to plan "a" I got the univalve, played it at the store on a 2-12 cornford cab, it sounded a bit trebly but useable.

When I got it home all I had to run it with was a 1-10 weber c10nq open back or the badcats 2-10 celestions.

With the stock tubes I thought I was going to pierce and eardrum, it was that shrill. The only way I could get it under control was to pretty much turn the treble knob to "0" and the bass to "10", this is pretty much with any of my guitars but especially with my strat with kinman avn blues. this guitar does NOT have this problem with the badcat or any other amp I've run it into.

Is this normal with the stock el34? or is it the 10's I'm using? I was really shocked, I've been tweaking it and swapped preamp tubes (a 12at7 in v1 and an ay7 in v2) and I got to a reasonable sound but....

I guess what I'm asking is is it the tube or the speakers? I'm leaning toward the tube because even using the line out and direct recording it I'm still using teble at 9 o'clock and bass at 3 o'clock. I don't currently have any power tubes to swap into it so I guess I'm looking for a recomendation.

I've never owned an el34 amp before, would a 6l6 or kt66 be sweeter? or at least tame the treble?

I do plan on a 2-12 cab or at least a 1-12 cab in the future but I'm getting to the dollar amount that get's me back to a swap of the bad cat for the Carr slant v6. and that's a sound I'm having trouble getting out of my head (I really liked the Carr)

I just don't get it, after all the hype and subsequent backlash on the univalve I don't recall reading about anyone having this problem. most time people love'm

thanks in advance mark f/jetboy

jetboy .... okay .... I will take a crack at this ...

Glad the bad cat is working out.

The Bad Cat has a very different front end, and output stage design than a Fender type amp. The only EL84 amps I have ever seen that can pull off the Fender tones too are some Dr. Z amps and Victoria Victorilux amps.

The Carr Slant 6V is a KILLER amp.

The Univalve has it's own sound, and due to the smallish output transformer, to many ears will not have the same lower end as a Fender Princeton, Deluxe, etc. It has MUCH less low and mids than a Tweed Deluxe.

Try a 12AX7C in V2 and a 12AY7 in V1.

Also, for a Fender tone, get rid of the EL34 for sure, and get a good 6L6 or 6V6. With the 6V6, be sure to use the low voltage setting.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

The Bad Cat has a very different front end, and output stage design than a Fender type amp. The only EL84 amps I have ever seen that can pull off the Fender tones too are some Dr. Z amps and Victoria Victorilux amps.

The Univalve has it's own sound, and due to the smallish output transformer, to many ears will not have the same lower end as a Fender Princeton, Deluxe, etc. It has MUCH less low and mids than a Tweed Deluxe.

Also, for a Fender tone, get rid of the EL34 for sure, and get a good 6L6 or 6V6. With the 6V6, be sure to use the low voltage setting.

--------------------

I know that was a convoluted ?, so thanks for getting to it.

so what your saying is the nature of a univalve is to be on the bright side? and since i'm running it with 10" speakers that probably makes it worse?

is an el34 tube part of the problem? can i use a 6l6 or 6v6 to counteract the basic briteness that i'm getting from the current setup?

I will also try the 12ax7c and 12ay7 in v2 and v1 as well.

thanks again, jetboy

Originally posted by jetboy:

--------------------

I know that was a convoluted ?, so thanks for getting to it.

so what your saying is the nature of a univalve is to be on the bright side? and since i'm running it with 10" speakers that probably makes it worse?

is an el34 tube part of the problem? can i use a 6l6 or 6v6 to counteract the basic briteness that i'm getting from the current setup?

I will also try the 12ax7c and 12ay7 in v2 and v1 as well.

thanks again, jetboy

jetboy..........

It is not that the Univalve is on the bright side, it is more on the "has limited low end side".

The EL34 is a BIG part of the problem. Try a good 6L6.

The preamp tube changes will help even more.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Hi Myles,

David H.

Madison, WI.

David,

This is all personal preference, and many other factors. Over at GT when folks ask me which tube to use, many times I have a canned answer:

and more.

Hi Myles,

I think asked should have asked my question a bit differently. I've read some of your Tube Primer - very helpful. You steered me to some Chinese 12AX7's (put in V1 & V2) that really warmed up the Twin nicely. Here goes; Can I assume that a warmer tube (like the 12AX7C) will "warm up" my 'verb? Likewise, will a 7025 make the verb brighter?

Also, which one; the drive or the recovery tube, affects the tonal quality of the reverb more?

Thanks again,

David

thanks Myles,

turns out I couldn't get the sound of the slant v6 outta my head so I returned the univalve and made a deal for the Carr

had to give up the badcat and some other gear but all in all I'm now hearing the sound in my head. When I added up the cost of the univalve + tubes and a 1-12 or 2-12 cab the total was going to be a higher cash outlay than the trade + some cash for the Carr

addition by subtraction as they say, thanks for your time and advice. Now I gotta learn to play better :)

Originally posted by exactopposite:

i recall seeing some info on a new el84 tube from eh in a previous tube primer. are those tubes availible yet and if not when will they be availible?

i'm curious to know how they compare to jj el84's in terms of sound and reliability. right now i use jj el84's (#4)and 12ax7's in my crate v 1512. i really like the wasy it sounds with this configuration, but i'd give the eh a shot if they are decent tubes. i'm not so sure about trying the ei's since they are said to have a brighter sound and i like a somewhat dark tone.

so what's the scoop on the eh tubes?

exactopposite.......

The EH's are available out there ... as far as differences in tone and reliability, only time will tell.

what is the gt designator for them? i only see the el84 r, s, and y (sovtek, jj, and ei)on the gt website. i don't see any info there about the new tube. Who else has them availible if gt doesn't?

hey myles,

i have had my ghia for about 3-4 months now and absolutely love almost every aspect of it, the sound, the simplicity, the texture, and most of all, the thing just has vibe i can't explain......

there a couple things though. sometimes it seems a bit dark sounding (EC83 - 5751 - JJEL84's) such that i run the the tone knob at about 9 o'clock (with mahogany top guitar with humbuckers). could it be the el84's might be getting old? i bought it used so i have know idea how old they are. i like the grind the EC83 gives but maybe thats why it seems dark at times. long plate 7125?

also, it's never really loud enough in a rock band situation without being mic'd. i tried a different recifier tube (GU4?, the one up from the 5Y4) and blew the conjuctive filter. put back the 5Y4. anyway, how do you like your Mazerati? could it be the everything amp asuming i had an attenuator for lower volume jams?

i love the Ghia and want to use it in my band so bad, just trying to figure out how.

any words of wisdom?

ok just one more question (sorry :rolleyes: )

I just ordered a pair of yellowjackets for my DeVille.

Now when i put these in, can i just pull the 6L6s right out harmlessly (i really dont feel like breaking a tube)?

Thanks again (i swear this is the last question about the yellowjackets :D )

Originally posted by J J:

"ok just one more question (sorry :rolleyes: )

I just ordered a pair of yellowjackets for my DeVille.

Now when i put these in, can i just pull the 6L6s right out harmlessly (i really dont feel like breaking a tube)?

Thanks again (i swear this is the last question about the yellowjackets" :D )

Yeah, as long as you just do it carefully, and remove any spring-retainers or the like, the tubes will pull out of their sockets. You may have to gently wiggle them a bit.

Then, the YJ's just plug directly in, "retrofitting", and require no further adjustment or modification of any kind. They "auto-bias", being cathode-biased and designed for this.

Just let them warm up for a few minutes before going from "Standby" to operating-status. Then, jam yer heart out!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, Myles, big dumb question time:

(Or, more like it, a bunch of big dumb questions...)

How are the channels on bf and sf Fenders, and Vox AC30 TB's, "wired out of phase"? Is it a simple manner to either rewire them for in-phase operation, or even to install a switch for either/or selection? Or is there something I'm overlooking here, is there a real good reason to leave 'em that way?

For that matter, on a Vox AC30 TB, is there any reason that removal of the "unused" preamp-channel's first preamp tube wouldn't result in a more robust tone and more gain in the used pre channel, the way that this is the case with bf Fenders?

Any good tips for getting the most out of a new Vox AC30 TB, as far as "tricks" and quirks and ways to "personalize" 'em?

Thanks for your time and trouble, Myles! Hope I didn't bug you too much!

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Hey, Myles, big dumb question time:

(Or, more like it, a bunch of big dumb questions...)

How are the channels on bf and sf Fenders, and Vox AC30 TB's, "wired out of phase"? Is it a simple manner to either rewire them for in-phase operation, or even to install a switch for either/or selection? Or is there something I'm overlooking here, is there a real good reason to leave 'em that way?

For that matter, on a Vox AC30 TB, is there any reason that removal of the "unused" preamp-channel's first preamp tube wouldn't result in a more robust tone and more gain in the used pre channel, the way that this is the case with bf Fenders?

Any good tips for getting the most out of a new Vox AC30 TB, as far as "tricks" and quirks and ways to "personalize" 'em?

Thanks for your time and trouble, Myles! Hope I didn't bug you too much!

Caevan O'Shite...........

some Mrshalls and Voxes are 180 out of phase from Fender amps, just reverse the speaker leads.

On the AC30TB, there are a bunch of tricks, bit the first is to ditch the stock output tubes and replace them with EL84S #6's and on V1 and V2, use good NOS tubes in there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks for the quick response, and good, useable info! But-

I was referring to the separate input channels being out-of-phase, when "jumpering" and combining them on one amp. Any light to shed on this!

Thanks again!

On the AC30TB, there are a bunch of tricks, bit the first is to ditch the stock output tubes and replace them with EL84S #6's and on V1 and V2, use good NOS tubes in there.

The never ending merry go round of expense that we call guitar playing! £1100 for an amp and they could have provided you with better tubes than stock!

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Thanks for the quick response, and good, useable info! But-

I was referring to the separate input channels being out-of-phase, when "jumpering" and combining them on one amp. Any light to shed on this!

Thanks again!

They are not out of phase from my point of view.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Teahead:

The never ending merry go round of expense that we call guitar playing! £1100 for an amp and they could have provided you with better tubes than stock!
Teahead .............

Yes, it's a sad story.

A year or so ago, I was talking to the folks at Fender. On their custom shop amps ... Vibroking and Vibroverb .... a $3000 retail amp with $4.00 tubes? They rethought it, and started using the USA GT-6L6GE as the stock output tubes rather than the Sovtek 5881 WXT.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks for the tips as always Myles.

I now know specifically what I want to do with my AC30tbx. I intend to use a Morley "aby" pedal to switch between the normal channel set for drive, and the Brilliant channel jumpered with the Tremolo channel for a shimmery clean tone.

I've been told that this will work fine by current Vox owners, and that there's no phasing issues to worry of.

I just wanted to see if you have seen, or worked on, an AC30 that was used like this? I use a Z Vex too, and I don't want to risk damaging my new amp in any way.

Also, if I may, to ask your advice on what would happen when the "Y" option on the pedal is selected, feeding both inputs and the jumpered channel?

Thanks for your time Myles, Tea. :thu:

Originally posted by Teahead:

Thanks for the tips as always Myles.

I now know specifically what I want to do with my AC30tbx. I intend to use a Morley "aby" pedal to switch between the normal channel set for drive, and the Brilliant channel jumpered with the Tremolo channel for a shimmery clean tone.

I've been told that this will work fine by current Vox owners, and that there's no phasing issues to worry of.

I just wanted to see if you have seen, or worked on, an AC30 that was used like this? I use a Z Vex too, and I don't want to risk damaging my new amp in any way.

Also, if I may, to ask your advice on what would happen when the "Y" option on the pedal is selected, feeding both inputs and the jumpered channel?

Thanks for your time Myles, Tea. :thu:

Teahead...........

On using the Y, some amps yes, some no. It works on a Marshall, but not on most Fender amps without raising the noise level as an example.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Ok, here's a typically Chip off the wall angle:

Is it possible to make X-rays with a rectifier tube?

If so, is it possible to be receiving lose-doses of x-rays when near tube-rectified amps... ?

Good question. X-rays are produced when high speed electrons (or positrons) are suddenly SLOWED. I believe Dr Roentegen (sp?) called x-rays "breamstrelung" or something like that, the word being German for "slowing down".

Guitar amp voltages probably aren't high enough to accelerate electrons to the point where they could give off x-rays. Old style color picture tubes sure could though. Of course the grid voltage is on the order of 20,000 VDC.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Hi Myles,

David H.

Madison, WI.

David,

and more.

posted 01-06-2004 07:33 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Hi Myles,

I think asked should have asked my question a bit differently. I've read some of your Tube Primer - very helpful. You steered me to some Chinese 12AX7's (put in V1 & V2) that really warmed up the Twin nicely. Here goes; Can I assume that a warmer tube (like the 12AX7C) will "warm up" my 'verb? Likewise, will a 7025 make the verb brighter?

Also, which one; the drive or the recovery tube, affects the tonal quality of the reverb more?

Thanks again,

David

Originally posted by rocco:

Any Experience with the Tesla ECC803S's Myles?

Here's some a pic.

]http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=7394 [/url]

Have you had any experience with these?

Pretty robust looking innards to a layman's eyes.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time Myles!

rocco........

These are nice in some amps for recording at low levels as they have low background noise ... sort of a very quiet ECC83.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles:

Hope you had a great new year. I have another question about my Mesa/Boogie F-100. It has the half power switch (100/60 watts) and I often switch between the two wattages because of different playing situations. Is this bad for the tubes at all? I'm probably just being paranoid but thanks in advance.

"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck