Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Myles:

I have a friend that owns a Fender Super Champ and one or more of the tubes have gone bad. He said he can't find the 6V6 (or the 6L6 - I can't remember). Any recommendation on where he should get these tubes?

Thanks,

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

Originally posted by TELEBOY:

hi miles

thanks for the quick respones

reguarding a schematic for

my bv60h

as a means of learning tube amps

here's my plan

to systematically go through

this amp & upgrade each of the components

which are obviously not the premium pieces

due to the modest prices of the crate amps

use it as a classroom

make myself self-sufficient/marketable

in this area...

& hopefully end up with a perty good amp

in the process

kinda like when i started playing

i also educated myself on the tech

skills on squires & other inexpensive

guitars before moving on to the better stuff

now i have people coming to me

wanting neck resets, fretwork etc.

i have your tube amp book

i will soon purchase your

bias kit w/manual as well

have a state of the art weller

soldering station as well as

a good digital multi meter

i know from reading another of your

threads reguarding the tweed amp

replications that the belton sockets

are a preferable brand for quality

construction

who are the other mfgs of the

components i will be needing

for this endeavor...caps etc

where may these component items purchased

any other directional hints you might

offer to expedite my learning curve

would also be greatly appreciated

thanks

I am not sure what you are asking here.

If you are looking for parts, in the tubes and parts secion of my website there are the folks that I use.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by jef5f:

Tell me about Tusc amps. How well made are they and how sturdy? What are their strenths and weaknesses?

I do not know what this amp is.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by rsf1977:

WOW!!!! I just put those 12AX7C9 in V1 and V2 and my amp sounds fantastic!!! It sounds way clearer and more open thanks for the tip! But what do I do about the other preamp tubes. Should i leave them as the stock Mesa tubes

V1 and V2 are the tone and gain stages (the primary ones). These do about 85% of your tone in this amp.

The phase inverter could also be replaced with a 122AX7C as the stock EH's are generally a bit low on current output as compared with the C.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by mstreck:

Myles:

I have a friend that owns a Fender Super Champ and one or more of the tubes have gone bad. He said he can't find the 6V6 (or the 6L6 - I can't remember). Any recommendation on where he should get these tubes?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Both the 6V6 and 6L6 are quite common tubes and can be found from any general tube vendor or at stores such as Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or many of the Internet websites.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

WOW!!!! I just put those 12AX7C9 in V1 and V2 and my amp sounds fantastic!!! It sounds way clearer and more open thanks for the tip! But what do I do about the other preamp tubes. Should i leave them as the stock Mesa tubes

V1 and V2 are the tone and gain stages (the primary ones). These do about 85% of your tone in this amp.

The phase inverter could also be replaced with a 122AX7C as the stock EH's are generally a bit low on current output as compared with the C.

would these be a good idea in the phase inverter SAG-AX7-MPI?

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by TELEBOY:

hi miles

thanks for the quick respones

reguarding a schematic for

my bv60h

as a means of learning tube amps

here's my plan

to systematically go through

this amp & upgrade each of the components

which are obviously not the premium pieces

due to the modest prices of the crate amps

use it as a classroom

make myself self-sufficient/marketable

in this area...

& hopefully end up with a perty good amp

in the process

kinda like when i started playing

i also educated myself on the tech

skills on squires & other inexpensive

guitars before moving on to the better stuff

now i have people coming to me

wanting neck resets, fretwork etc.

i have your tube amp book

i will soon purchase your

bias kit w/manual as well

have a state of the art weller

soldering station as well as

a good digital multi meter

i know from reading another of your

threads reguarding the tweed amp

replications that the belton sockets

are a preferable brand for quality

construction

who are the other mfgs of the

components i will be needing

for this endeavor...caps etc

where may these component items purchased

any other directional hints you might

offer to expedite my learning curve

would also be greatly appreciated

thanks

I am not sure what you are asking here.

If you are looking for parts, in the tubes and parts secion of my website there are the folks that I use.

yes, specifically the parts you feel are the higher quality parts

i appologize, i have read your site & somehow overlooked the parts section

thank you for your response

would these be a good idea in the phase inverter SAG-AX7-MPI?
MPIs are generally made from the 12AX7C or 12AX7WC and are chosen for matched curves and proper output.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi again Myles,

Once again just looking for an opinion...

Whats the verdict on the Fender pro tube series amps, (most notably the 1-12 pro-reverb combo)? I've read that the clean is almost blackface good, but the high gain side is a little buzzy.

Any thoughts??

best regards,

lg64strat...

Originally posted by lg64strat:

Hi again Myles,

Once again just looking for an opinion...

Whats the verdict on the Fender pro tube series amps, (most notably the 1-12 pro-reverb combo)? I've read that the clean is almost blackface good, but the high gain side is a little buzzy.

Any thoughts??

best regards,

lg64strat...

I use one of these, and from my website on this amp in my personal gear area:

Fender Pro Reverb with stock Fender tubes with the exception of V1 being a GT-12AX7R2 with a rating of

92/100, and V2 a GT-12AX7R3 with a rating of 100/85. The phase inverter still stock, as tests are being

done with this amp and a Rickenbacker 360-12. The NORMAL channel of this amp is used by myself for clean

sounds. The overdrive channel is not used by me ever. This amp is used for clean 60's rhythm (San Francisco

Acid Rock ... from my childhood), where the single 12" speaker had a bit more clarity than the twin 12's of a Twin

Reverb. (As of 7/02, 7025's are in V1 ( at 92/100) and V2 ( at 75/92) ( dropped front end gain for more

clean on the clean channel, as the high gain channel was also too gainy and not as usable). The phase

inverter was changed from the stock 12AX7 to a SAG-AT7-MPI which gave much more control over the

output section. The output tubes are now 6L6GE's in a #5 rating.) August 02 - V1 = GT12AX7A (SAG

87/92), V2 = GT12AY7 (to drop the gain channel as the stock Fender 12AX7 has so much gain that it's articulation

is lost and it's range of use on vol/gain were very limited. V4 (the phase inverter is this somewhat unconventional

layout = is a an AT7 now, rather than the factory supplied 12AX7 ( in this case a SAG-AT7-MPI from my

department at Groove Tubes ). March 03 - mods for Ludovic Pierson - V2 SAG 12AX7R3 80/85.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by lg64strat:

Hi Myles,

Thanks for the info on the Fender Pro reverb 1-12. It sounds as if a tube change would be necessary to tame the buzziness on the lead channel.

Regards,

lg64strat...

Just try a 12AY7 in V2. If you want to drop it more than an AU7.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Myles,

What's the best way to avoid/reduce/eliminate hum and noise caused by running two amps at the same time, as when using stereo outs from an effects pedal?

Thanks.

Make sure the amps are plugged into the same outlet so they share a common ground. You may also have to tie the grounds together or use ground lifts on each amp. This is always a bit of a problem on some amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Do you perhaps have a schematic/parts list for the Rocktron Hush IIB?

The IIB has a bad physical design, and the two pots(threshold and Filter HZ) got ripped apart because they are fastened to the board AND the front panel causing stress.

I can't tell what their values are from looking at the remains, and I can't find anything on the web. (I do have an email in to Rocktron, but I'm not holding my breath since this is discontinued)

thanks either way,

Jeff

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by reachjkh:

Hi Myles,

Do you perhaps have a schematic/parts list for the Rocktron Hush IIB?

The IIB has a bad physical design, and the two pots(threshold and Filter HZ) got ripped apart because they are fastened to the board AND the front panel causing stress.

I can't tell what their values are from looking at the remains, and I can't find anything on the web. (I do have an email in to Rocktron, but I'm not holding my breath since this is discontinued)

thanks either way,

Jeff

Jeff,

I do not have a print on this.

Check with Rocktron directly.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Frank C:

Hey Miles, Whats the final lowdown on the ruby 6L6's. How do they compare sound wise to svetlana's for jazz and blues players.

Frank,

That is totally subjective.

Personally, I think the Ruby 6L6 and their EL34BSTR are amazing tubes. These are exclusive Ruby designs off their own tooling. Some people think they are rebranded or repackaged but this is not the case.

The Ruby EL34BSTR is perhaps my personal favorite 25 watt EL34 tube.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, I just picked up a Sunn T50C off of Ebay and it has all the original crappy stock Sovteks. Any recommendations for tubes in these amps. I know there are some similarities between these and the Fender Pro Reverb Tubes series. It has a nice clean but the OD channel is very gainy. I think this amp has alot of potential with a few changes. I was also thinking of changing out the Celestion speaker to a Reverend Alltone 1250 which might be a little smoother. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by sgguitarzz:

Hey Myles, I just picked up one of these off of Ebay and it has all the original crappy stock Sovteks. Any recommendations for tubes in these amps. I know there are some similarities between these and the Fender Pro Reverb Tubes series. It has a nice clean but the OD channel is very gainy. I think this amp has alot of potential with a few changes. I was also thinking of changing out the Celestion speaker to a Reverend Alltone 1250 which might be a little smoother. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You might try a 5751 swap for a 12ax7 in the V1 slot, or a 12AT7. NOS 5751s can be had in the $10 to $15 range, and will probably last forever (especially Joint Army-Navy or "JAN"), like RCA, Sylvania, GE, Philips.

WHich Celestion do you have? If it's a vintage 30 or 90, I'd keep it. They're pretty "smooth" as is.

Now here's Myles with a word from our sponsor.....

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Thanks for the info. I planned on changing the V1 to a 5751. These are always nice in V1. The speaker is a Celestion G12T-75.

Yeah, that's the bad Celestion. Kind of a raunchy rock speaker, by design. Believe it or not, and I could be wrong, but some mega-expensive Matchless come with the G12T-75. Huh? That's dumb, and then some.

EVM doesn't make speakers anymore. They made the cleanest and best power handling music intrument speakers.

Altec is still around, same with Jenson. THe Reverend (Naylor) folks have their own brand of speaker now, as does Mesa Boogie.

Celestion V30 and 90 are quite good. Can't go wrong with them.

In the short time I have fooled with it this speaker is kind of harsh and brittle sounding. I need a warmer more versatile speaker as I play a wide variety of music and not just raunchy rock.

Check out the reviews of the Reverend (Naylor) speakers:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Reverend/All_Tone_1250_Speaker-01.html

Celestion reviews:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Celestion/

Altecs and Jensens might be worth looking into too.

The Reverend speakers are cheap, $59, and supposedly have a nice warm "vintage" sound.

Celestion V30s and 90s are about $100. Both Jensen and Altec make very affordable speakers too, Santana being an old Altec guy for the longest time.

Too bad about EVM though. THey made tough and clean speakers that really dissipated the power.

One of my speaker cabinet favorites are the Boogie/Thiel, which used to offer the choice of EVM or Celestion 90. Very nice little 1x12.

Opps, lest I 4-get, you might want to look into "Razor's Edge" speakers. The have a big following in the jazz world.

Hi Myles,

I an really a novice to this website but I am impressed about the number of people participating and about the pro advice I have received so far. I have here a couple of questions that you probably are one of the most experienced individuals to anwer to:

- I have a Laney LC15 15W tube combo. I play it upside down since I want the tubes to release heat upwards (PCB is on the top (in normal position) and tubes are attached to it. The tubes have clips that hold them in place. When the amp is placed in any position there is a pretty high frequency "sizzling" noice heard from the amp -- difficult to say if it it mechanical and electronical noice. What could be causing this noice? Could it be a symptom of old tubes that need replacement? Or perhaps the holding clips are causing the noise? Are there any ways to isolate the cause? In general, when do you know if tubes need to be replaced?

- Secondly, I also have a Tube Works hybrid combo (tube preamp, solid state power amp)and when I place it on a tilted amp stand its reverb does not funtion at all. In a straight vertical position there are no problems whatsoever. Is it common for amps with spring reverb do this?

Thank you very much for you advice, in advance!

Edit: I place these questions to the general guitar forum too.