Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Miles,

If Nicole is also the "Nicole" model on the site, and she is as smart as she is pretty, good on ya!

The avatar is a painting by Scottish painter Jack Vettriano.

When I can figure out how to do it, I´m going to slideshow about 6 of his works, so that they rotate. I really like the film noir quality of these paintings, and I´ll promote him a little if I can. (Not that he needs any help from me. I believe that his paintings sell in the six figure range.)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Thanks for your quick responses. I'm feeling more energized about the project now. Other than the modification on the gift amp, there is one cosmetic difference between the two: my original head has a cast or milled aluminum face plate, where the controls are mounted, while the other, though looking similar, has two pieces of sheet metal joined together to hold the switches, inputs and pots. The solid aluminum plate is more substantial than the other, probably newer and cheaper model. I bought the amp in the late sixties/early seventies as a package deal. The other part of that package was a '66 Custom Tele. I just got it out for some twang to spank-start my day.

For all you vets out there, thanks. And a special thanks to those in the Second Marine Division who helped my dad get back from Guadalcanal. I miss him.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Miles,

If Nicole is also the "Nicole" model on the site, and she is as smart as she is pretty, good on ya!

The avatar is a painting by Scottish painter Jack Vettriano.

When I can figure out how to do it, I´m going to slideshow about 6 of his works, so that they rotate. I really like the film noir quality of these paintings, and I´ll promote him a little if I can. (Not that he needs any help from me. I believe that his paintings sell in the six figure range.)

Bill

Bill,

There is more than one Nicole on her site I believe. I do not think she is on the site though as she is the agency manager and does not model that much, mostly sings now.

You can see her older modeling profile at the OMP site as one of the models at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/photographer_list.cfm?P_ID=86597

She is in the group of pix but also has a profile further down that says Nicole in Malibu. If you click on her pix you get more about her.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by henrysb3:

Thanks for your quick responses. I'm feeling more energized about the project now. Other than the modification on the gift amp, there is one cosmetic difference between the two: my original head has a cast or milled aluminum face plate, where the controls are mounted, while the other, though looking similar, has two pieces of sheet metal joined together to hold the switches, inputs and pots. The solid aluminum plate is more substantial than the other, probably newer and cheaper model. I bought the amp in the late sixties/early seventies as a package deal. The other part of that package was a '66 Custom Tele. I just got it out for some twang to spank-start my day.

For all you vets out there, thanks. And a special thanks to those in the Second Marine Division who helped my dad get back from Guadalcanal. I miss him.

Henry

Henry,

If you need anything just drop me a note.

If you want to read a little vet info, here is a bit of my story:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/kal.pdf

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Miles!! Hows things?

well I was just looking around the Mojave website, because i really want to get a nice tube sound soon, and i remembered what you've said about these mojaves

Listening to the sound samples they have there, I really like the sound of the sidewinder amp. Its pretty much exactly what i'm looking for. ..but then I looked at the price sheet!! Whoa!

so my question is this. Throw me a bone as to similar sounding tube amps for about a fifth of the price.

warm sounding, vintage sounding, and able to drive at lower volumes! its for recording so doesn't need to have many watts on it.

any names for my investigation would be great mate!!

Cheers, Chris.

Originally posted by martinadolfi:

Hi, I wanted to ask you the function of the 5U4 in the Dual and Triple Rectifiers from Mesa Boogie and why they are not found in the Single Rectifiers.

Thanks a lot.

The dual and triple rectos use solid state and tube rectifiers.

For more on rectifiers look on my website at:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/rectifiers.html

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Chris_C:

Hi Miles!! Hows things?

well I was just looking around the Mojave website, because i really want to get a nice tube sound soon, and i remembered what you've said about these mojaves

Listening to the sound samples they have there, I really like the sound of the sidewinder amp. Its pretty much exactly what i'm looking for. ..but then I looked at the price sheet!! Whoa!

so my question is this. Throw me a bone as to similar sounding tube amps for about a fifth of the price.

warm sounding, vintage sounding, and able to drive at lower volumes! its for recording so doesn't need to have many watts on it.

any names for my investigation would be great mate!!

Cheers, Chris.

30 watt hand built EL84 amps are pricy for the most part. Dropping to 1/5 the price would put you in Peavey Classic 30 territory, and these are fine amps but you will see a difference.

For about 1/2 the money you could look at Dr. Z MAZ Sr amps. That may be an option.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Dilligan:

The Mesa Boogie F-30 is also a great 30-watt EL84 tube amp. It's what I use and I love it!

Good call.

Thanks for posting this.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

myles, i have aquired a traynor ysr1 custom reverb head. it is 50 watts with 2 EL34's. since it is very old, what main components need to be checked/replaced other than the tubes?

do you know of any mods that can push this into marshall territory. i like to have some crunch at my disposal but i don't need it to do mega gain like a mesa boogie.

do you have any info i can use to make this amp more beastly?

Originally posted by myles111:

30 watt hand built EL84 amps are pricy for the most part. Dropping to 1/5 the price would put you in Peavey Classic 30 territory, and these are fine amps but you will see a difference.

For about 1/2 the money you could look at Dr. Z MAZ Sr amps. That may be an option.[/QB]

Nice one miles, i saw that photo where a corner in your house is full of Z's, so they must be investigation worthy! cheers!

i found a pleasant guitar shop the other day who say they can get in any amp, so i might make a few requests to try out.

Cheers dilligan, i shall add that to my list! I played a £3000 mesa the other day.. guy was banging on about how versatile they are.. i found it a little tinny though.. but no doubt i was probably not using the tone controls properly, there were alot of knobs on it! :D

I shall report back.

oh, and prob spend more than fifth too., maybe half mojave money.

oh.. also.. how on earth do you pronounce mojave. I heard someone say it like 'mo-havey', or is it 'mo-yavey'. :freak:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

myles, i have aquired a traynor ysr1 custom reverb head. it is 50 watts with 2 EL34's. since it is very old, what main components need to be checked/replaced other than the tubes?

do you know of any mods that can push this into marshall territory. i like to have some crunch at my disposal but i don't need it to do mega gain like a mesa boogie.

do you have any info i can use to make this amp more beastly?

I'd go through the amp and just do a general cleanup. Clean and lube the pots and retension the tube sockets. If the amp is not making hum noise the power supply caps are still good.

To make the amp more agressive you can use hand selected tubes in the front end such as the MHG kit from GT. Other than that, going further would mean modding the amp and the amp sounds great for it's type so it may make more sense to just purchase an additional amp to cover those bases.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Chris_C:

For about 1/2 the money you could look at Dr. Z MAZ Sr amps. That may be an option.

Nice one miles, i saw that photo where a corner in your house is full of Z's, so they must be investigation worthy! cheers!

i found a pleasant guitar shop the other day who say they can get in any amp, so i might make a few requests to try out.

Cheers dilligan, i shall add that to my list! I played a £3000 mesa the other day.. guy was banging on about how versatile they are.. i found it a little tinny though.. but no doubt i was probably not using the tone controls properly, there were alot of knobs on it! :D

I shall report back.

oh, and prob spend more than fifth too., maybe half mojave money.

oh.. also.. how on earth do you pronounce mojave. I heard someone say it like 'mo-havey', or is it 'mo-yavey'. :freak: [/QB]

On Mojave, think of the indians or the desert.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I just recieved a Soldano Decatone , and wanted to get your take on what tubes to retube with.I've read yor tube primer and refer to it quite often, thanx for that resorce.I can't seem to find any answers to the tonal/character differences between a 6l6 , 5881, and KT66.

Right now my amp has the stock 5881's(sovtek) inside.I'm thinking of buying SED(slevanta)6l6's( have to order),or my local amp tech has gt 6l6 chineese, or GT KT66 (chineese), or he can order the new GT 6L6 GE reissues (which he loves).The

SED(slev)6L6'S sound like what I'm looking for. They are discribed as a smooth, harmonically rich tube with big/tight low-end.Alot of people are recommending the JJ6l6's .(???) I'm also getting alot of responces for the kt66's.What sound/feel differences are their between 6l6's and kt66's.

Do you recommend the GT KT66 C or HP ?? I want a tube thats characteristics will provide a nice,open,lively sound , thats rich in harmonics , not overly brittle sounding, with a big/tight bottom end.I play mainly 80's retro/shred,with a modern almost nu-metal twist.

I don't want to loose that awesome clean sound this amp produces, if any thing I want a tube that would add more chime/air to the clean channel.

I guess like most of us metal heads I want my cake (clean sound),and be able to eat it to(tight/lively overdrive channel).I was also told to bias KT66's at 64, but I read somewhere that the KT66 c sounds brittle unless baised at 70-75, is this your take also.(???).

I know the gt 6l6 ge reissues would almost be 2x the amount of the others, but would it be a big improvement over all my other options??If you don't have experience with a Decatone , its basically a SLO, with out the Deyoung transformers,it has the MM transformers.

Thanks for your time, your friend ..Shawn

Originally posted by Shawners:

Hey Myles,

I just recieved a Soldano Decatone , and wanted to get your take on what tubes to retube with.I've read yor tube primer and refer to it quite often, thanx for that resorce.I can't seem to find any answers to the tonal/character differences between a 6l6 , 5881, and KT66.

Right now my amp has the stock 5881's(sovtek) inside.I'm thinking of buying SED(slevanta)6l6's( have to order),or my local amp tech has gt 6l6 chineese, or GT KT66 (chineese), or he can order the new GT 6L6 GE reissues (which he loves).The

SED(slev)6L6'S sound like what I'm looking for. They are discribed as a smooth, harmonically rich tube with big/tight low-end.Alot of people are recommending the JJ6l6's .(???) I'm also getting alot of responces for the kt66's.What sound/feel differences are their between 6l6's and kt66's.

Do you recommend the GT KT66 C or HP ?? I want a tube thats characteristics will provide a nice,open,lively sound , thats rich in harmonics , not overly brittle sounding, with a big/tight bottom end.I play mainly 80's retro/shred,with a modern almost nu-metal twist.

I don't want to loose that awesome clean sound this amp produces, if any thing I want a tube that would add more chime/air to the clean channel.

I guess like most of us metal heads I want my cake (clean sound),and be able to eat it to(tight/lively overdrive channel).I was also told to bias KT66's at 64, but I read somewhere that the KT66 c sounds brittle unless baised at 70-75, is this your take also.(???).

I know the gt 6l6 ge reissues would almost be 2x the amount of the others, but would it be a big improvement over all my other options??If you don't have experience with a Decatone , its basically a SLO, with out the Deyoung transformers,it has the MM transformers.

Thanks for your time, your friend ..Shawn

Shawn - let me just take this one step at a time ....

... The Sovtek 5881WXT is really a 6L6, and from GT it is known as the 6L6B or 6L6R. It is the stock tube in Fender amps unless they come from the Fender Custom shop. In that case they use GEs.

........ The 5881 Sovtek is a really robust tube but is a bit darker and a bit less articulate than most anything else in most amps. The bottom line here is usually ... if you bought the amp and liked how it sounded with these in it you will probably like it more with just about any other tube. These tubes may be the most heavy duty of any of the 6L6 family though. The NOS 5881s like the famed Tung Sol were smaller bottle and military or industrial spec 6L6 tubes.

Right now my amp has the stock 5881's(sovtek) inside.I'm thinking of buying SED(slevanta)6l6's( have to order),or my local amp tech has gt 6l6 chineese, or GT KT66 (chineese), or he can order

........... The Svetlana's are great tubes. GT calls these the 6L6R2. But ... make sure they are real Svets and not the newer Sovtek Svetlana which are a different tube.

........ The GT-KT66C (Chinese) do not do well at all if the plate voltage exceeds 450 volts. These are also sold under the Valve Art name. BUT .... if the plate voltage is 450 or below many folks love the sound of these.

the new GT 6L6 GE reissues (which he loves).The

SED(slev)6L6'S sound like what I'm looking for.

..... The 6L6GE has been a hit. It has done so well that GT is currently out of stock on them and there are a ton of backorders from dealers. GT is doing a run right now and my guess is that they will be back in stock in about 3 weeks.

They are discribed as a smooth, harmonically rich tube with big/tight low-end.Alot of people are recommending the JJ6l6's .(???) I'm also getting alot of responces for the kt66's.What

......... The JJ 6L6, also sold as the GT-6L6S, may be the strongest of the 6L6 tubes. They are also long lasting. They are more agressive than the other 6L6 or KT66 tubes. They have a bit of EL-34 quality too which a lot of folks love. Keep these out of a Fender Twin reverb unless you want well over 110 watts out of the amp and even more clean headroom then you ever heard out of an amp if these are in a mid range (5-7) rating.

sound/feel differences are their between 6l6's and kt66's.

....... The KT66 has more lows and mids than any of the 6L6 tubes. They also put out about 10 more millamps in a test rig. Where an average 6L6 comes in at about 72mA these in a mid range tube come in about 10mA higher. Lots of SLO 100 guys love these in those amps.

......... In your amp I would not even try the C's. You know .... one GT policy that folks do not use often is that if you buy a GT tube and do not like the way it sounds, if you get it back to the dealer in say less than a week or so and just say you don't like it they are supposed to exchange it for something else. Just make sure it is biased properly (so there is no obvious heat damage) and keep the packaging as intact as possible. A side note ... the newer packaging is pretty darn hard to keep intact.... I can't do it myself.

......... If you want that chime then the R2 (Svet) is a great tube. There is more high end out of the JJ but the JJ also has great mids and lows. This is the 6L6S. In your amp use a #7 rating and bias at 30mA with these.

.....Unless we are talking the mA of TWO tubes together, this is insane. 30-32mA per tube is where you want to be. Higher setting cause the amp to sound harsh and brittle. Too low and the amp sounds grainy.

..... Shawn, I know these amps. I think the GE is a great tube but if your amp was my amp I would not use them. I'd use them in a Fender amp or Carr or Victoria or ???? If I had your amp I'd use the 6L6S. That is my personal taste though and I am taking a stand of thinking of how a heavy player named Tom Dunn would "play" this amp if I had this amp and loaned it to him for one of his gigs. The amp set up this way would also be something I'd have the guitarists in Kid Rock try. They generally play Orange and Marshall amps but the Marshalls are JCM 2000 DSL's and the Decatone might fit their style which is moving toward a more agressive area for part of the show and a less agressive area for other parts of the show.

........ Hope I helped more than just raising even more questions and confusion!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi. I have a question regarding bias setting.

I just purchased a pair of Groove Tubes 6CA7 GE #10. I'll probably use them in my '73 100w Marshall Superlead (handwired), along with a pair of THD YellowJackets/EL-84s. The amp's plate voltage is ca. 520 V.

Are the GT6CA7 GEs 30w tubes, and if they are, should they "idle" at ca. 21w / 40 mA?

G. :)

Hey there Myles, i posted this in another topic but folks say id get more help here.

HEres my situation, I just ordered a Fender PRo Junior, ive read that replacing the stock tubes will get you a much better sound and improve tone. I have no experience with tubes whatsoever, so what would you recommend replacing them with to give me a good classic rock tone?

thanks for your time

ryan

Originally posted by kyleK7:

Originally posted by kyleK7:

quote:

This should not be the case. Is your board set to line level input?
Yes.

The recording-compensated line out was plugged into a line level input, and the mixer levels were all double-checked.

Tried other devices into the same input to be sure, and they worked OK.
I do not know what this could be. I would want to put something into that output jack and measure the voltage of the signal coming out and trace back from there.
I have never heard a bad cable pass an extremely reduced signal before, usually it's either working or not. But I am suspecting a bad cable might be the culprit here.

I'll check out this possibility next week.

Yes, the problem was simply a bad cable!

Originally posted by Gunnar:

Hi. I have a question regarding bias setting.

I just purchased a pair of Groove Tubes 6CA7 GE #10. I'll probably use them in my '73 100w Marshall Superlead (handwired), along with a pair of THD YellowJackets/EL-84s. The amp's plate voltage is ca. 520 V.

Are the GT6CA7 GEs 30w tubes, and if they are, should they "idle" at ca. 21w / 40 mA?

G. :)

The 6CA7 is actually a 25 watt tube (but is capable of MUCH more).

In your amp with that measured plate voltage your bias range would be:

50% 60% 70%

24 29 34 mA

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

Hey there Myles, i posted this in another topic but folks say id get more help here.

HEres my situation, I just ordered a Fender PRo Junior, ive read that replacing the stock tubes will get you a much better sound and improve tone. I have no experience with tubes whatsoever, so what would you recommend replacing them with to give me a good classic rock tone?

thanks for your time

ryan

Ryan,

Tube choice and selection is very much personal

taste and preference. You can find a document that

will go into this in great detail, and give you

information on tube types, characteristics, and also

on the rating system used by GT, conversion from

Mesa to GT and Fender to GT tables, matching information

and more.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com is the

website, and the document is the Tube Primer, v1.31

which has a link and button for download or viewing.

V1.31 is 47 pages and not too bad to download.

v3.20 is in two sections and about 200 total pages

total, if you want a LOT of info.

On rating numbers:

Basically, a #1 will distort sooner, and a #10 later. If, for example,

with a mid range tube, say a #5, makes your amp start to break in the

output section at a volume setting on the amp of "4", then with a lower

number tube, like a #2, your amp would have a same sort of break into

output distortion at say a volume setting of "3". With a higher tube,

such as an #8, then you amp would stay clean to about perhaps "6" on

the volume.

High rating numbers are not more or less powerful, they just distort

later. These are preferred by heavy rocker that want maximum clean

output, as they get their distortion and tone from effects or pedals.

These are not as touch dynamic.

Low number tubes are very touch dynamic, and more suited for a

lot of folks, for smaller venues and recording.

Most folks prefer the 4-7 range tubes, as they are the closest in character

and touch to what the amplifier designer had in mind. They are also the most

versatile.

On scale conversions:

On Fender amps, output tubes in newer amps are

color coded. The scale is:

Blue = GT 1-3 rating

White = GT 4-7 rating

Red = GT 8-10 rating

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

The 6CA7 is actually a 25 watt tube (but is capable of MUCH more).

In your amp with that measured plate voltage your bias range would be:

50% 60% 70%

24 29 34 mA

OK. 30-34 mA it will be then. Thanks.

G.

I'm planning on getting a cyber twin SE, and i played one today & it sounds GREAT, but a little too...grainy. This is partly my pedal's fault because it sounds kinda modern hi-gain, but i'm thinking about replacing the 2 preamp tubes (12ax7's) with something that'll make it a bit warmer & rounder & more natural sounding.

but i have no idea which tubes, any thoughts?

please e-mail your responses to ptd4prez@hotmail.com cuz i don't check this much

ps - I don't plan on using the amp's built in distortion, if that helps

Originally posted by punkabilly:

I'm planning on getting a cyber twin SE, and i played one today & it sounds GREAT, but a little too...grainy. This is partly my pedal's fault because it sounds kinda modern hi-gain, but i'm thinking about replacing the 2 preamp tubes (12ax7's) with something that'll make it a bit warmer & rounder & more natural sounding.

but i have no idea which tubes, any thoughts?

please e-mail your responses to ptd4prez@hotmail.com cuz i don't check this much

ps - I don't plan on using the amp's built in distortion, if that helps

12AX7C

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles... any knowledge or opinions on this?

1964 Premier Model 120 1x12 Combo "Two-Tone Brown/Beige"

Sounds like a Tweed Deluxe! 12" Jensen Blue Alnico speaker, 2 6V6's, 5Y3 Rectifier, 2 channels, 4 inputs, Volume/Tone controls for Channel 1, Volume/Tone/Tremelo Speed & Depth Controls for Channel 2. Fantastic tube tone with amazing Tremelo!

EXC $495

http://www.rumbleseatmusicbrooklyn.com/pix/64Premier120.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Myles... any knowledge or opinions on this?

1964 Premier Model 120 1x12 Combo "Two-Tone Brown/Beige"

Sounds like a Tweed Deluxe! 12" Jensen Blue Alnico speaker, 2 6V6's, 5Y3 Rectifier, 2 channels, 4 inputs, Volume/Tone controls for Channel 1, Volume/Tone/Tremelo Speed & Depth Controls for Channel 2. Fantastic tube tone with amazing Tremelo!

EXC $495

http://www.rumbleseatmusicbrooklyn.com/pix/64Premier120.jpg
Rick Benson just walked in when I brought this up - they are great amps but he said be careful as there is asbestos all inside.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

"Rick Benson just walked in when I brought this up - they are great amps but he said be careful as there is asbestos all inside."

Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up, I think I'll pass! (There's no shortage of great amps to be had these days!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

hi myles,

long time no chat ;) but then Ive been pretty problem and question free! :)

anyway still read ya on the various boards and here too.

Got a rather simple question,

I picked up a used Holland lil jimi amp. Very nice, super clean the way it has been set up. Not a problem but...

I noticed on the amp label that it says el34/6l6 model and it has a bias pot and test probe inputs on the back. To my way of thinking this means that I might be able to run el34s and the like in the amp as long as I rebias it via the probes and pot?

The amp is seriously overbuilt tranny wise... what do you think?

My understanding is that Mike Holland was secretive in that no manual or layout was provided with his amps, there is not even a tube chart so I'm left guessing as to where v1 and v2 etc is. there is also a secret unmarked ¼ jack on the chassis.

Also the Holland amp co is out of business as heritage has taken over those designs (kind of).

Although I love the clean tone out of it as is, Im very curious as to what it would sound like with say el-34s or maybe kt66s in it.

"Rick Benson just walked in when I brought this up - they are great amps but he said be careful as there is asbestos all inside."

Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up, I think I'll pass! (There's no shortage of great amps to be had these days!)
Caevan,

as Myles will tell you, even Fender tweed Deluxes had the back panel covered with asbestos - pretty common material in those days :(

don't let that sour the deal :)

"music heals"

Don't panic - these are great amps and you are not going to be sanding it! Most of the houses built in my area in the late 50s and early 60s have those "cottage chesse" ceilings made of the stuff.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr