Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Myles,

Hey! I left a post at the Rivera Users group and was refered to www.scobro.150m.com/rivera/index.htm He lists lots of tube options for rivera's. I emailed him some questions and he came back with these suggestions;

Jeff,

Sorry for taking so long to respond here. I kinda have no time for my

website at this moment.

For a Jazz guitar, I highly recommend you replace that single Celestion

Vintage 30 with an EV. You probably have tried it out by now and wonder why

it sounds so crappy.

I only do not recommend the KT66 for humbuckers in clean, in distortion

their great. I know Eric Clapton was using Marshall equipped KT66 in

Bluesbreakers and Cream.

For you, I would recommend going for a KT88 with an EV speaker. Put some

American made 5751 in V1 and 12AT7 in V5. Fill the rest with tubes like the

Sovtek 12AX7EH. You don't need the brightness of the Chinese 12AX7A when you

use KT88 and EV speakers.

What you would have here is an all out Jazz amp that can do some

distortion. You're not going to get any kind of decent high gain distortion.

You're going to much better off if you go out and get yourself one great

tone and do what you can with the rest. With a Jazz guitar, you're not going

to get a decent clean tone and a decent high gain tone in one amp. Good

luck.

Scobro

scobro.150m.com

What he suggests has got me to thinking (always dangerous) What if I switched out the speaker to an EV, Put in GT6L6GE's and then switched out the preamp tubes as necessary. 5751 when I want to play jazz and something else when I want high gain? I so not know that much about KT88's they sound like a lot of power with low distortion. Kind of what a jazz guy would be looking for.

I guess were back to Can one amp do it all or do you have to compromise?

Thanks,

Jeff

ps amp came last friday. needs tubes, microphonic rattle. Channel one is awesome, I was a little underwhelmed by channel two. New tubes ought to help.

Regards

JR

Failure is the path of least persistence.

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

Myles,

Hey! I left a post at the Rivera Users group and was refered to www.scobro.150m.com/rivera/index.htm He lists lots of tube options for rivera's. I emailed him some questions and he came back with these suggestions;

Jeff,

Sorry for taking so long to respond here. I kinda have no time for my

website at this moment.

For a Jazz guitar, I highly recommend you replace that single Celestion

Vintage 30 with an EV. You probably have tried it out by now and wonder why

it sounds so crappy.

I only do not recommend the KT66 for humbuckers in clean, in distortion

their great. I know Eric Clapton was using Marshall equipped KT66 in

Bluesbreakers and Cream.

For you, I would recommend going for a KT88 with an EV speaker. Put some

American made 5751 in V1 and 12AT7 in V5. Fill the rest with tubes like the

Sovtek 12AX7EH. You don't need the brightness of the Chinese 12AX7A when you

use KT88 and EV speakers.

What you would have here is an all out Jazz amp that can do some

distortion. You're not going to get any kind of decent high gain distortion.

You're going to much better off if you go out and get yourself one great

tone and do what you can with the rest. With a Jazz guitar, you're not going

to get a decent clean tone and a decent high gain tone in one amp. Good

luck.

Scobro

scobro.150m.com

What he suggests has got me to thinking (always dangerous) What if I switched out the speaker to an EV, Put in GT6L6GE's and then switched out the preamp tubes as necessary. 5751 when I want to play jazz and something else when I want high gain? I so not know that much about KT88's they sound like a lot of power with low distortion. Kind of what a jazz guy would be looking for.

I guess were back to Can one amp do it all or do you have to compromise?

Thanks,

Jeff

ps amp came last friday. needs tubes, microphonic rattle. Channel one is awesome, I was a little underwhelmed by channel two. New tubes ought to help.

Regards

JR

Jeff,

This all will boil down to personal taste.

All I can say for sure is that no single amp can do it all.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles,

Its been a while since I was on the net but noticed your thread kind of getting pushed back in the pages. I have just gotten so much good information from you on this thread that I don't want a new member to miss the oppurtunity to "Feel Free to ask Myles" so I thought I would give you a bump.

Later,

Bluenote

When in doubt, BEND IT!!!

:wave: Hi, I am a new member and beginner player. I ahve been shopping for anew Guitar and amp and have maybe narrowed it to two; American strat hh with s1 switching, and Rickenbacker 650D. I am looking for something that I can enjoy for the next couple of years. I have handled both but am such a beginner don't really know what to look for. They both play and feel great. I also need need an amp that I can grow with. I am 41 so I do all my playing at the house and bother the wife and kids. My budget is 300-500 dollars for the amp.

Musical likes are clapton, hendrix, santana, marshal tucker and allman brothers. I know one guitar or amp won't do these all well but I am limited for now. I would really appreciate your help.

Play On!

Originally posted by Tad:

:wave: Hi, I am a new member and beginner player. I ahve been shopping for anew Guitar and amp and have maybe narrowed it to two; American strat hh with s1 switching, and Rickenbacker 650D. I am looking for something that I can enjoy for the next couple of years. I have handled both but am such a beginner don't really know what to look for. They both play and feel great. I also need need an amp that I can grow with. I am 41 so I do all my playing at the house and bother the wife and kids. My budget is 300-500 dollars for the amp.

Musical likes are clapton, hendrix, santana, marshal tucker and allman brothers. I know one guitar or amp won't do these all well but I am limited for now. I would really appreciate your help.

Tad,

There are many products in your budget and it all boils down to personal taste.

Hit a Guitar Center and try many of them out. That is the best way to see what works best for you.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi again, Myles!

I used to have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12, and when I attempted to perform a "transformer shunt" reading/biasing-procedure, as per the description and instructions in Dan Torres' Inside Tube Amps book, I couldn't get a reading.

As far as I know, I followed everything to a "T" and did everything correctly, but got nada on my Fluke DMM. Any ideas as to why? Is there something about Fender HR D'Vs that I missed the boat on?

~AND~ What are your personal feelings about cathode-biasing in general? And, what if adjustable, trim-pot circuits were used instead of fixed-value resistors for cathode-biasing?

~AND~ Any idea about whether or not a resettable "breaker" could be used instead of the fuses commonly used in tube-amps? Are there any applicable (slo-blo, etc.) breaker-switches available out there for just such an application, that you know of?

Why is the sky blue? Where do babies come from? Why did we flush my two goldfish, Mr. Chips and Friday, down the toilet? ;):D

Thanks, Myles!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Hi again, Myles!

I used to have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12, and when I attempted to perform a "transformer shunt" reading/biasing-procedure, as per the description and instructions in Dan Torres' Inside Tube Amps book, I couldn't get a reading.

As far as I know, I followed everything to a "T" and did everything correctly, but got nada on my Fluke DMM. Any ideas as to why? Is there something about Fender HR D'Vs that I missed the boat on?

~AND~ What are your personal feelings about cathode-biasing in general? And, what if adjustable, trim-pot circuits were used instead of fixed-value resistors for cathode-biasing?

~AND~ Any idea about whether or not a resettable "breaker" could be used instead of the fuses commonly used in tube-amps? Are there any applicable (slo-blo, etc.) breaker-switches available out there for just such an application, that you know of?

Why is the sky blue? Where do babies come from? Why did we flush my two goldfish, Mr. Chips and Friday, down the toilet? ;):D

Thanks, Myles!

Caevan O'Shite

This amp has a cool test point where you look for 60mV (the total for the two tubes) and adjust for that value. The Torres book was written for older amps.

If you need a print drop me a note at GT at techsupport@groovetubes.com

I do not like the shunt method personally. Talk to most amp builders today and they will tell you to set the amp at so many mA per tube. This will be a direct 1=1 to mV using something like a bias tool, bias proble, bias king, bias rite, etc. In your amp these tools are not even needed as there is a factory test point inside.

I love fixed bias and cathode biased amps equally. They both have their own advantages.

Breakers do not react fast enough and are pricy to boot.

Why is the sky blue? .... I think it has something to do with the ocean?

Where do babies come from? I thought at one time that I knew the answer to this but I was proven wrong. I was married to a real witch (my first wife) for 9 and a half years. I SWEAR ... I NEVER TOUCHED HER!!!! Nobody in their right mind would have. Evil gal! I have a 28 year old son that was supposedly the product of the two of us. This CANNOT be the case because I DO NOT RECALL ever having ANY "relations" with this very evil woman! So ... I have no idea where babies come from!

Why did we flush my two goldfish, Mr. Chips and Friday, down the toilet? ;):D ......

To send them to that big treatment plant in the sky!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Aaaa, I no longer own that amp, but it always bothered me, nagged at me, that I couldn't figure that out; that is, the "shunt"-method on that particular amp. Thanks! I feel better now...

I have done the "Ohm's law" application, using two wire-wound 1-ohm resistors off the cathodes, though. I have permanently installed them in amps before!

Well, them's the breaks, concerning breakers!

Hmmmnn... that would make your 28 year old son kinda special... uhmn, does he show any signs of being particularly good, or kinda, you know, evil? ;):D

As for Mr. Chips and Friday... I'm glad to know they got the "big treatment"! Sounds special... !

Aaaa, I no longer own that amp, but it always bothered me, nagged at me, that I couldn't figure that out; that is, the "shunt"-method on that particular amp. Thanks! I feel better now...

I have done the "Ohm's law" application, using two wire-wound 1-ohm resistors off the cathodes, though. I have permanently installed them in amps before!

Well, them's the breaks, concerning breakers!

Hmmmnn... that would make your 28 year old son kinda special... uhmn, does he show any signs of being particularly good, or kinda, you know, evil? ;):D

As for Mr. Chips and Friday... I'm glad to know they got the "big treatment"! Sounds special... !

My 28 year old is the opposite of me ....

He is into sports, a trendy dresser and is clean cut and polite. He always did great in school and received a football ride through college so I did not have to pay anything.

Like I said, I am not sure where he came from :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

He's The "Anti-Myles"!

Hmmmnn... didn't cost ya for college, huh? That's not particularly apocolyptic or diabolical...

:idea::evil: Must be you're the evil one! :eek::freak:;):D

Myles,

I'm looking at a brownface concert... but it has more power than I need (the 6L6 circuit). Is it possible to put 6v6's in this amp? If so, what has to be done to make it work.

thanks Myles,

Roy

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Originally posted by roy d:

Myles,

I'm looking at a brownface concert... but it has more power than I need (the 6L6 circuit). Is it possible to put 6v6's in this amp? If so, what has to be done to make it work.

thanks Myles,

Roy

Roy,

Normally this cannot be done ... too much B+ voltage for the 6V6, BUT.... some folks have had luck with the new JJ 6V6.

See here:

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-u.htm

Look for the 6V6 info there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Miles,

I recently picked up a Mesa Boogie F-30, which I'm loving. This amp seems to be very well built and I really like the sound, but Ive heard of people improving the amp drastically with different tubes. Can you recommend any replacement tubes and where I could purchase them? I believe this amp comes stock with 2xEL84s and 4x12AX7s. For more info on this amp you can visit: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/F-Series/F-30/F-30.html.

Thanks,

Dylan

Myles... did I give Dave a good answer? Is there anything I've overlooked? What're your ideas here? I'd greatly appreciate your opinions! (Please read the following, thanks!)

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

"I need to get an attenuator so I can play my amps in the house!! I'm goin' crazy not being able to use them :rolleyes:

Can I use one attenuator through an A/B/Y box and then to my JC-55 AND Randall Tube Pro AND 15" Bass speaker?"

-Dave the Frustrated One

My reply:

"Hmmmnn... you don't mean that you want to use the attenuator on the (Roland?) JC-55, do you? Being a solid state design, the JC shouldn't require attenuation, nor would it benefit from it. (And I believe that most, if not all, attenuators out there are tube-amp specific.)

If I understand you, you want to use both amps through one cab, and an attenuator on the output of the Randall, right? (Or, have I missed the boat here? Is the Randall a preamp that you want to use through the JC-55?)

Using one ss- and one tube-amp into one cab presents some monkeywrenches...

Perhaps you could find an arrangement using something like the Headbone switchers from Tonebone that would work for you. They make multi-amp/one-cab switchers in two models, one for tube-amps, and one for ss.

Palmer also makes some products that might help you out here, but at least two pieces of pricey gear would need to be used together, maybe more. Add to all of the above the attenuator of your choice...

You might be better off getting a second cab, and a good attenuator that suits the Randall and whichever cab you decide to run it through. (Tonebone also makes some very excellent A/B/Y one guitar/multi-amp switchers; probably the best out there now."

Originally posted by Dylan PDX:

Hey Miles,

I recently picked up a Mesa Boogie F-30, which I'm loving. This amp seems to be very well built and I really like the sound, but Ive heard of people improving the amp drastically with different tubes. Can you recommend any replacement tubes and where I could purchase them? I believe this amp comes stock with 2xEL84s and 4x12AX7s. For more info on this amp you can visit: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/F-Series/F-30/F-30.html.

Thanks,

Dylan

Dylan,

I know these amps (check with the Mesa folks in the Hollywood store).

I like 12AX7C's in V1 and V2, or for a more agressive amp #CC83S tubes in V1 and V2.

Output tubes for my taste are the EL84S #5-6 ratings.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles... did I give Dave a good answer? Is there anything I've overlooked? What're your ideas here? I'd greatly appreciate your opinions! (Please read the following, thanks!)

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

"I need to get an attenuator so I can play my amps in the house!! I'm goin' crazy not being able to use them :rolleyes:

Can I use one attenuator through an A/B/Y box and then to my JC-55 AND Randall Tube Pro AND 15" Bass speaker?"

-Dave the Frustrated One

My reply:

"Hmmmnn... you don't mean that you want to use the attenuator on the (Roland?) JC-55, do you? Being a solid state design, the JC shouldn't require attenuation, nor would it benefit from it. (And I believe that most, if not all, attenuators out there are tube-amp specific.)

If I understand you, you want to use both amps through one cab, and an attenuator on the output of the Randall, right? (Or, have I missed the boat here? Is the Randall a preamp that you want to use through the JC-55?)

Using one ss- and one tube-amp into one cab presents some monkeywrenches...

Perhaps you could find an arrangement using something like the Headbone switchers from Tonebone that would work for you. They make multi-amp/one-cab switchers in two models, one for tube-amps, and one for ss.

Palmer also makes some products that might help you out here, but at least two pieces of pricey gear would need to be used together, maybe more. Add to all of the above the attenuator of your choice...

You might be better off getting a second cab, and a good attenuator that suits the Randall and whichever cab you decide to run it through. (Tonebone also makes some very excellent A/B/Y one guitar/multi-amp switchers; probably the best out there now."

Good answer :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks, Myles!

I'm glad I didn't steer him wrong, but I also wanted to "leave no stone unturned"...

So, naturally, I turned to you!

Thanks, Myles!

I'm glad I didn't steer him wrong, but I also wanted to "leave no stone unturned"...

So, naturally, I turned to you!

Caevan O'Shite..........

At times there are many ways to face a question or dilemma. Your response on this was excellent.

Actually .... your responses are typically very good.

You are also generally more quick to get to the point than I am, so perhaps I should take a few lessons from you!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Dylan,

I figured that you would :D .

I like 12AX7C's in V1 and V2, or for a more agressive amp #CC83S tubes in V1 and V2. Output tubes for my taste are the EL84S #5-6 ratings.
Thanks for the info. Is there a good outlet to purchase these tubes? Thanks again!

-Dylan

Originally posted by Dylan PDX:

Dylan,

I figured that you would :D .

I like 12AX7C's in V1 and V2, or for a more agressive amp #CC83S tubes in V1 and V2. Output tubes for my taste are the EL84S #5-6 ratings.
Thanks for the info. Is there a good outlet to purchase these tubes? Thanks again!

-Dylan

Any GT dealer.

They are all listed on the GT website.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Question number one:

Say, Myles...

...wadya think of this type of an "attenuator" set-up? In general, and as opposed to other "commercially available units"?

"...1 resistor in series and 1 in parallel to maintain the proper impedance load to your amp. The difference is that instead of multiple sets of switchable high power resistors, and other circuitry, cooling fan, etc., all of which necessitate a fancy metal housing, this unit uses 2 variable wirewound high power resistance elements - similar to a rheostat. It is mounted on a simple bracket, and open-air ventilation in the back of your open-back amp is sufficient for cooling."
_______________________ http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/b6/99/9e_2.JPG

~And~

Question number two:

Do you think you could scrape up the proper schematics (and maybe even a layout diagram, etc.) for my discontinued Carvin Vintage 33 amp? The closest I've been able to get- and this was right from Carvin- was their schematic and manual for the similar 112 Nomad. Obviously, if one is nominally rated at 33-watts, and the other 50-watts, respectively, they're not 100% identical...

Thanks again, Myles!

hey myles i just purchased some gt 12ax7c tubes i'm curious to know how to determine if they are the latest incarnation of the chinese preamp tubes. if it helps at all, they came in individual grey and white boxes and have the gt logo on them in grey instead of the red/orange that was on all the other gt tubes i have ever seen. i have one in v1 of my traynor ycv40 along with a ruby ei 12ax7 in v2 and i really like the sound. i also have gt 6l6s in the output section. i just got this amp a couple of days ago so i'm experimenting to with different tubes in it to see how they sound and respond in it.

i tried some jj's that i already had around in the traynor but for whatever reason they sounded really dark. i pulled the jj's from another amp where they sounded great but they just didn't match up well with the traynor. if you have any insight on what might be good to try in the traynor i'm open to suggestions.

Originally posted by exactopposite:

hey myles i just purchased some gt 12ax7c tubes i'm curious to know how to determine if they are the latest incarnation of the chinese preamp tubes. if it helps at all, they came in individual grey and white boxes and have the gt logo on them in grey instead of the red/orange that was on all the other gt tubes i have ever seen. i have one in v1 of my traynor ycv40 along with a ruby ei 12ax7 in v2 and i really like the sound. i also have gt 6l6s in the output section. i just got this amp a couple of days ago so i'm experimenting to with different tubes in it to see how they sound and respond in it.

i tried some jj's that i already had around in the traynor but for whatever reason they sounded really dark. i pulled the jj's from another amp where they sounded great but they just didn't match up well with the traynor. if you have any insight on what might be good to try in the traynor i'm open to suggestions.

If they are in gray and white boxes they would be the latest C9's but are "silver series" and not premium gold series. I only use silver series in non tone and gain stages, such as for reverb drivers and effects loops. They are not as quiet as the gold series.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

If they are in gray and white boxes they would be the latest C9's but are "silver series" and not premium gold series. I only use silver series in non tone and gain stages, such as for reverb drivers and effects loops. They are not as quiet as the gold series.
so what sort of boxes will the gold series be in, the regular gt boxes i'm use to seeing? it sucks that the people at guitar center don't know about these things, because nobody told me that's what i was buying. i'll still have some use for em tho.

so what sort of boxes will the gold series be in, the regular gt boxes i'm use to seeing? it sucks that the people at guitar center don't know about these things, because nobody told me that's what i was buying. i'll still have some use for em tho.
The boxes say silver series or gold series right on the box.

The gold series are darker boxes with a little window where you can see the tube.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

[The boxes say silver series or gold series right on the box.

The gold series are darker boxes with a little window where you can see the tube.

i know it says silver series on the box but until u told me above i didn't know what that meant. when i went and bought groove tubes i expected them to be the same quality as other groove tubes. that's the reason for buying gt to start with. i think instead of just saying "silver series" on the box it should be clear exactlly what that means so the consumer doesn't buy something they don't want unknowinglly. the average peson who goes and buys some tubes has no idea what silver series means but they know Groove Tubes are suppose to be quality tubes.

it's no big deal to me since i know now. i'm still satisfied with my purchase. i just think where should be better labeling. it could even be a reason for a GT poster to be in the stores to explain the difference. just an idea.

[The boxes say silver series or gold series right on the box.

i know it says silver series on the box but until u told me above i didn't know what that meant. when i went and bought groove tubes i expected them to be the same quality as other groove tubes. that's the reason for buying gt to start with. i think instead of just saying "silver series" on the box it should be clear exactlly what that means so the consumer doesn't buy something they don't want unknowinglly. the average peson who goes and buys some tubes has no idea what silver series means but they know Groove Tubes are suppose to be quality tubes.

it's no big deal to me since i know now. i'm still satisfied with my purchase. i just think where should be better labeling. it could even be a reason for a GT poster to be in the stores to explain the difference. just an idea.

exactopposite........

Silver series and gold series are explained on the GT website, in literature etc. The folks at the dealer level are given this info and that is about all GT can do.

The silver series are still tested to much higher standards as other lower cost tubes from other vendors. This makes them cost effective for many folks and they also carry the same 6 month warranty on preamp tubes as the gold series. They are well with spec but not kept in as narrow of a window of spec as the gold series.

If a silver series fails, gets noisy, becomes microphonic, etc., for 180 days, it is fully covered.

Some folks have issues with GT prices on the highly selected tubes. Some say there is no difference, so for those folks, they have the silver series .... better tested than most of what is out there that at times is not tested at all .... and at a price that compared with the untested or basic go-nogo tested tubes out there.

If you are not going to use gold series, or GT tubes, then the Silver series are as good or better (as they are also tested) than many other vendors offerings at a very cost effective price.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr