Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best live record?

D. Gauss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally live Hendrix is the most interesting to me.

Queen's _Live Killers_ is the most fun though, because the dynamics are remarkable: there are actually quiet bits, and it sounds like an actual live show, including great crowd response (of course), and nice interpretations of recorded material. A *band* that really shone live.

The last thing I heard recorded live that was interesting was Mike Landau at the Baked Potato with Jimmy Johnson on bass.... but that's not actually a record, so...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Cereal:

Everyone knows Frampton comes alive is the standard.

I don't mean to put the cat amongst the pigeons here,but,wasn't there a bit of a fuss with the Frampton album,where lots of over dubs were allegedly used to cover up bum notes,poor sound,etc. well after the particular concert was recorded? could someone back me up?

Just curious that's all ;)

Hugo

All I can say is what my own personal faves are...

Allman Bros. Live at Fillmore East

Yep, I did like Be Bop Deluxe's "Air Age" as well. Bill Nelson has such a unique style. Definitely underrated, and "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" was a really cool solo.

Johnny Winter And Live. Yep.

Woodstock. That's like a snapshot of history.

I'm a Todd fan. Utopia's "Another Live" was a great LP.

B.B. King Live at the Cook County Jail

And I'll definitely have to scope out that Luther Allison CD.

But, alas, probably way too many live recordings. Especially in the jazz world. Some earth-shattering performances there.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

A few that haven't been mentioned ...

Hawkwind - 'Space Ritual Alive in London and Liverpool'

Miles Davis - 'Pangaea' & 'Agharta'

Velvet Underground - 'Quine Tapes' 3xCD (brand new!)

Santana - 'Lotus'

Ramones - 'Its Alive'

Overhang Party - 'Otherside of...'

Funkadelic - 'Meadowbrook, Rochester, MI 12th Sept. 1971'

Albert Ayler - 'Live in Greenwich Village'

Stooges - 'Metallic (2x) K.O.'

Johnny Cash - 'Live at Folsom Prison'

Billy T.K.'s Powerhouse - 'Beyond the Material Sky'

James Brown - 'Love Power Peace in Paris' (w/Bootsy!)

That dozen would keep me entertained for a LONG time ...

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm a Todd fan. Utopia's "Another Live" was a great LP.

tedster, believe it or don't, but i'm on that record. i'm the stupid idiot who yells in the middle of the ballad "the wheel".... along with my two friends, it was our first concert ever (at the asbury park, nj convention center i believe) anyway, we smoked shitty pot, maybe we even split a beer between us and were ready to rawk! we though we were being cool by yelling and showing our appreciation. ha ha! boy were we wrong. after we yelled, we almost had our asses kicked by some serious todd fans in front of us..."hey man, todd is god, you don't do that to todd man, you stupid little twerps."

-d. gauss

Originally posted by hugo121:

I don't mean to put the cat amongst the pigeons here,but,wasn't there a bit of a fuss with the Frampton album,where lots of over dubs were allegedly used to cover up bum notes,poor sound,etc. well after the particular concert was recorded? could someone back me up?

Hugo

that one i'm not sure of, but tons live albums by others have been, well not very live. classic examples are stevie ray vaughn' live "alive" record, thin lizzy's "live and dangerous," and david bowie's "stage." on some of those records, everything was replaced except for the applause! even the stone's get yer ya ya's has mick resinging in the studio on six tunes, though they left all the other major clams intact!

-d. gauss

Originally posted by d gauss:

that one i'm not sure of, but tons live albums by others have been, well not very live.

I believe darn near most "live" albums are edited, overdubbed, replayed, etc. Especially the dang crowd noise, which sounds fake to me in the way the crowd almost always sounds more enthusiastic than they do in a real concert... After listening to lots of live shows over at the House of Blues\' web site -- where shows are unedited, played out in real time, and have authentic crowd response -- it reminded me just how "non-live" most "live" albums are.

d gauss...That's hilarious. I'll have to give it a closer listen. Haven't heard it in years.

mzeger...Yep...two totally different aspects of Todd's career covered there. "Another Live" was in the heyday of his progged out 7 piece tour-de-force Utopia thing, with mostly new material, and "Back to the Bars" was getting back to his poppier sound, doing a "greatest hits" style live album. Both great albums.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I know someone who could probably find out for sure...I imagine some of the songs on that album might have been fixed with overdubs...I'll be somewhat disheartened if I find out "Do You Feel" was one of them.

Three Dog Night - Captured Live

Pink Floyd - Live at Pompei

Be Bop Deluxe - Life in the Air Age

Yep, these are really great!

Originally posted by Tedster:

Yeah, Al, I don't care what Eric's detractors say...the Live Cream stuff showed him doing what he does best, in a way that will never be duplicated. He was kicking ass. Those were the days.

of course there are exceptions to the rule, but i have a little equation i use for clapton (who as you can tell i'm not a big fan of):

eric clapton + heroin = decent (cream)

eric clapton + alcohol = shitty (late 70's 80's)

eric clapton + sobriety = boring (today)

somebody give that man some crack and let's see what happens... :)

-d. gauss

of course there are exceptions to the rule, but i have a little equation i use for clapton (who as you can tell i'm not a big fan of):

-d. gauss

Eric, step up to the pipe... http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/edoom/Smoker.gif

http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/ed/before.gif

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I concur with the consensus here: Get yer Ya Ya's, Live at Leeds and Lou Reed's Rock 'n'Roll Animal (with some very cool guitar harmony work by Steve Hunter & ? ) are the one's that immediately come to mind, although most are edited in some way or other. "Frampton Comes Alive" although a technical landmark, is NOT a contender-(IMHO.He left his cojones with Humble Pie). The live Cream stuff was pretty damn good. Some of the real jewels are from Hendrix but you won't find them all in one place."Little Wing " from "Hendrix in the West" is one. I recently downloaded some BBC live recordings that were outstanding-raw and honest.Versions of "Foxey Lady " and "Love or Confusion" that will make you realize just how little was added to the studio versions and a rare performance of Dylan's "Please Come Crawl out your Window" that is Hendrix at his inimitable best, even when covering.Lots of other good stuff too if you can find this one-(don't know if it's released as an album.)

If I can think of one live recording that stands out among all the rest it was Joe Cocker at Woodstock (the movie) doing "A Little Help From My Friends" Damn, that backup band was good!(was that really no overdubs?!!)

Footnote: I agree with the comment that the majority of live rock albums suck. A curious fact is that the opposite is true in classical music, where the studio rarely captures the dynamic range and energy of the live recordings.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: lynx ]

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: lynx ]

Can I vote for 'Let It Be' as a bunch of it was recorded in one go unlike the previous albums? There was also a Hollywood Bowl album which I haven't seen in years.

No one's mentioned 'FM Live' by Climax Blues Band, ohmygod, Peter Haycock is unreal.

I still dig 'Yessongs' and 'The Dance.'

Thing is, most live albums sound like shit unless you really crank them.

I'll have to chime in and agree with D. Gauss about Eric Clapton. He started out copying Albert King and Freddie King note for note before most people knew who those two were. With Cream and Blindfaith he took those influences to another place, but after that he went right back to imitating, which he continues to this day. We have Elvis impersonators, female impersonators, and Eric Clapton is the world's best Freddie King impersonator...

DougP mentioned Iggy & the Stooges "Metallic KO". I would have mentioned that album, but I thought it was a German import and didn't think anyone here would have heard of it.

I bought my copy at one of those vinyl trade shows back in... '84?.

Crazy album indeed! I love the intros (drunk-on-his-ass) Iggy says prior to starting the songs like, "1, 2, fuck you pricks!!", or "Here's a tender song, co-written by my mother, it's called "Cock in my pocket." :D -Iggy was a freakin' nut case.

I don't think it is a great album as far as playing goes, but definately a bizarre novelty -a punk classic.

In two days, it won't matter.

-d. gauss

I agree 100%, but I'll also add ...

eric clapton + speed = pretty darn good, but still not as good as Beck or Page (Yardbirds)

... so maybe the crack pipe WOULD do the trick.

"Got anymore LIGHT bulbs? Eggs? So whaddya want? Should we do our programmed setlist or do you want us to play 'Louie Louie' for an hour?" - yes, that's 'Metallic K.O.' for ya! The only live album where you can hear beer bottles bouncing off the guitar strings ...

DougP wrote: (quoting from Iggy)

"Got anymore LIGHT bulbs? Eggs? So whaddya want? Should we do our programmed setlist or do you want us to play 'Louie Louie' for an hour?" - yes, that's 'Metallic K.O.' for ya! The only live album where you can hear beer bottles bouncing off the guitar strings ...

My favorite line from the record is when someone in the audience whips an egg at Iggy, (almost hitting him), Iggy replies, "you missed, oh well, I wouldn't want to get caught with egg on my face!" :D

In two days, it won't matter.

Archived