Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music was better

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah right... Music was better and grass was greener. :rolleyes: You were younger dude, and that explains it all! ;) Actually I think more good music was supported by big labels back then. Now we know WHAT is supported by big labels. :eek: Still there is quite a number of bands making quality music today, imho. I must say I'm not into "mainstream acts"... just don't listen to them much, do not know them, really. Personally I dig progressive rock and bands like Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Ozric Tentacles, Dream Theater... mean a lot to me. Also there are a lot of others even more lesser known fantastic bands and projects out there. They just don't get the support they deserve! ...And that's very sad when someone looking for good music today doesn't know such bands exist. :(
I am back.

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]Very true Felix, but OTOH, there does seem to be a stronger industry "stranglehold" on music these days. Back when I was in high school, you could tune in a good FM station and hear a variety of cool music (and, to be honest, more than a few duds too...) in various different genres (Sly Stone followed by Zep followed by Motown followed by the Beatles, etc. etc.), spun for you by a relatively independent DJ who had at least some freedom in what he / she selected for his or her show. Now days, it's all calculated, pre-programmed and restricted in terms of genre and content, with the decisions made by some large corporation like Clearchannel. So while there's still some good music out there, the access to it (at least via radio) is being unnecessicarily restricted and controlled. Hmmm... maybe that's a contributing factor in the popularity of peer to peer download sites and MP3's? Just a thought... I certainly am not condoning that.[/b][/quote]I understand what you're saying, and I get label consolidation and radio station conglomerates - and I agree that's a bad thing. But back then you couldn't discover all kinds of great music on Amazon.com (customer lists, customer reviews, customers who bought this item also bought) and listen to soundclips of them on demand. Back then there was no music available on the internet, or information that might lead you to discover some cool new music even. There was no digital radio. There were far fewer, if any, television channels that may offer exposure. Back then a hip new music act couldn't have dreamed of pressing their own CD in their bedroom - and may have been limited enough by their budget that they may not have been able to pay a studio to record them and do the same. Back then, I probably wouldn't even know about 75% of the music that I've purchased, because I've found out about these acts through many of the examples above. I think today's model is different, but probably more conducive to the promotion of a worthwhile act, or a niche act finding their niche. I'm curious - weren't the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Sly Stone all major label acts in their day, with plenty of backing and marketing push? Motown too...

I disagree wholeheartedly. There is as much good stuff and trash today as there ever was in music. What HAS changed is commercial radio and MTV. They are so tightly formatted now that it's impossible to hear anything new unless it's got a huge amount of marketing/payola dollars behind it which ensures that you'll mostly hear derivative crap on those media. [quote] Today, music is mostly overly derivative, but I suppose there should be a few welcomed exceptions. [/quote]Hmmm. I recall that Led Zeppelin lost huge lawsuit to bluesman Willie Dixon for lifting whole sections of "Whole Lotta Love" from one of his songs. "The Lemon Song" is a blatant Robert Johnson rip too. Zep were great but even their music was heavily "influenced". Here are some people who are fresh and really fucking good: -Maxwell -Tori Amos -Charlie Hunter -Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave -The Roots -Atari Teenage Riot -U-Ziq -Outkast -Missy Elliot/Timbaland -Anything produced by Dr. Dre.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I think a lot of the "music used to be better" comes from the fact that the good stuff is remembered, the bad stuff is discarded. Anyone who lived through the 60s can remember that for every Jimi Hendrix, there was a Lemon Pipers. As to today's music, Kassav and other Zouk/caribbean groups really spin my crank. And seeing Dr. Walker play live remains an incredible experience. The comment about music is good, radio sucks is spot on -- it's hard to get turned on to good music these days.

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel E.: [b]I disagree wholeheartedly. There is as much good stuff and trash today as there ever was in music. What HAS changed is commercial radio and MTV. They are so tightly formatted now that it's impossible to hear anything new unless it's got a huge amount of marketing/payola dollars behind it which ensures that you'll mostly hear derivative crap on those media. [quote] Today, music is mostly overly derivative, but I suppose there should be a few welcomed exceptions. [/quote]Hmmm. I recall that Led Zeppelin lost huge lawsuit to bluesman Willie Dixon for lifting whole sections of "Whole Lotta Love" from one of his songs. "The Lemon Song" is a blatant Robert Johnson rip too. Zep were great but even their music was heavily "influenced". [/b][/quote]You are absolutely right about Zep. I wore out the grooves on my Led Zepplin II album until I heard Killin' Floor (Howlin' Wolf, Hubert Sumlin, Willie Dixon & Otis Spann). This was the original song that "The Lemon Song" was blatantly ripped from. Then I heard "Bring It On Home" from Sonny Boy Williamson. I still love a lot of respect for the "original" stuff put out by Plant, Page et al. but have a hard time forgiving them for the blatant theft of great music created by guys that were struggling to make a buck. OTOH, I had the opportunity to sit & chat with Plant & Page for a while when they were touring about 4 years ago. They were really very nice, polite, down to Earth people.

I was happy to see a new local radio station that plays only local music of all genres. Although they broadcast on the AM band, they also simulcast online at: http://www.wbzb.com This isn't spam. It's just an interesting alternative to Clearchannel.
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Well, although I hate most music out these days, I also remember that the biggest selling song of the 70s was by Capt & Teneile. There are a few bands out today that I really really dig including Bare Naked Ladies, Fastball and Matchbox 20. They write good songs and play their own instruments.

[quote][b]Originally posted by Dave Pierce: There's no college radio in Arcata? Or is it just so weak that you can't get it up by Crescent City? [/b][/quote]The second one. There are maybe 3 stations that get through the Redwoods from either direction, and 2 local stations. All not worth listening to. [quote][b] At any rate, point your streaming audio player at [url=http://www.kpig.com]www.kpig.com[/url] [/b][/quote]wish I had one in my car! [quote][b] Fun stuff, and extremely eclectic. There's a strong leaning towards stuff with country roots, [/b][/quote]I can live with that... [quote][b] but I guarantee you won't hear Shania. :D [/b][/quote]SOLD!!!! DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

You can thank our past administrations who deregulated radio so now something like six companies own most of the stations. It's like one big Chevy truck commercial. There's always good stuff out there only today you have to dig and search a bit more. "Death Cab For Cutie" is a great refreshing start.. Doug
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Following on the "Music was better" theme, I've had this Chuck Berry song ("Too Much Monkey Business") running through my head the past couple of days. I have a bunch of Chuck Berry recordings that have been collecting dust for years. When I can't get a tune out of my head, I either have to listen to it a few dozen times or play it. Since I couldn't remember the words, I dug out the recording. Now; I haven't really listened to Chuck for a long time. I couldn't believe how much this sloppy, lo-fi, 1958 mono recording spoke to me. The little subtleties and the energy level are extremely cool. It's just amazing how much of today's music can trace itself back to Chuck. So I ask, Chuck Berry's personality aside, was he a genius or a fluke? His influence certainly can't be overstated. Maybe I should have started a new thread for my Chuck Berry question but I think it's important to look at music as an evolutionary process. I mean Chuck Berry was a huge influence on most of the British Invasion bands and what guitar player doesn't have to play Johnny B Goode at some point in their life? There is some great music being created today that's just not being shoved down our throats. We can no longer count on radio or TV to provide us with anything other than tried and true marketable product. And IMHO, (though he's no kid) I think Robben Ford has put out some great stuff in the past couple of years.

Hank the Cave Peanut, I just wanted to let you know that I dig your new avatar. Far out. ...especially in light of the fact that I declared this an official Muppets thread a couple of posts ago (I really did! Scroll back and see). You were the only one who listened to me. Thank you for your ear, your patient understanding, your tasteful avatar selection... Hank, y-y-....y-y-you're too good to me. :cry: ---- And Chuck Berry RULES! Although... personally, I think Michael J Fox's cover of Johnny B Goode in "Back to the Future" set the bar too high for any future generation to surpass.

[quote][/QB]My intent was to get that "phenomena" song stuck in everybody's head every time they see my avatar. I know I do. ;) :D [/QB][/quote]... it worked, damn you!

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

[quote]Originally posted by Hank The Cave Peanut: [b]I didn't see the post you were talking about... It's pure coincidence that I changed my avatar to the "phenomena" guy... Recently I read a book about Jim Henson and I always liked that sketch, so the avatar changed... [/b][/quote]Some may call it coincidence... ...but I call it FATE. WE WERE MEANT TO POST TOGETHER, HANK. (Don't push me away!!!)

Ask anyone, of any age, what is great music. They will almost always tell you about the music they listened to when they were in their teens and early twenties. I have asked litreally thousands of people this question over the years, and it is unacanny. The point being, the music you have your peak experiences to growing up: (Getting laid, getting drunk, driving a car by yourself, hanging out with your friends) will for most people, be the great music in this world. Why is that so? I think there is a lot of great music out there still. Just not usually on the radio. Keep your ears open and your radar on. It's out there if you can hear it.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived