Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FAVORITE ROCK'N'ROLL MOVIE(S)

KHAN

All of the Spinal Tap References on the Clapton thread has reminded me how amazing that movie is. How can something so completely obsurd be such a true reflection on real life. Tap really captures the sights, the sounds, THE SMELLS of a hard working band on the road.

Hey all you axe slingers, what are your favorite R'N'R movies?

As Marti DeBurghi would say:

"LET'S BOOGIE"!

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<- Lays Potato Chip Syndrome: Can't (choose) just one!

In no particular order:

1. Hard Day's Night

2. Help

3. Rocky Horror Picture Show

4. Grease (to this then 11 year old, Olivia Newton-John was the hottest

babe on the planet in 1978!)

5. Spinal Tap

6. The Wall

7. Crossroads (BAD movie, but music by Ry Cooder and a little known

shredder by the name of Steve Vai?)

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

"Stop Making Sense" (Talking Heads) Not sure if it counts as a movie, more of a documentary.

What?? No votes for "Light of Day"?!?!?! HA HA HA!!! Yeah, Michael J. Fox is a true American rock hero!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Almost Famous wasn't bad. I don't mind a few of the "stories of" genre. The Richie Valens one wasn't bad. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of "Let It Be".

Generally, though...I haven't been impressed with too many rocknroll movies.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

gotta be the TAP.

Do any of you guys and gals remember a series on MTV called the young ones. Simon you will remember this, it was a Brit comedy.

That show was the tits.

I wish I could get my hands on some copies...

BK

originally posted 04-20-2001 10:29 AM

I can't believe there hasn't been a vote for Blues Brothers!!!!

Oh... my... god...!

(As a native Chicagoan, I'm embarrassed to have named so many and forgotten this classic.

And how many other movies feature a cameo by Joe Walsh as a Joliet Prison inmate???

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

BK wrote:

>> gotta be the TAP.

Do any of you guys and gals remember a series on MTV called the young ones. Simon you will remember this, it was a Brit comedy.

That show was the tits.

I wish I could get my hands on some copies...

BK >>

Yep dude I remember it well, its a hoot!! I have all the videos of the series and I still love it... Almost as good as Spinal Tap for making a crap day feel good. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

If ya want a copy of the series email me your address and I'll send it accross or I'll bring it over to LA when we come over on tour... OK?

Neil

Tut Tut!! Hang your head bro http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Blues brothers is epic... love it to bits shame they never made a sequel... But then again all sequels suck right!!

The other one thats missing from the humour hall of fame has to be "Bad News" great film had my sides aching... and it featured some of the guys from The Young Ones....

' Young ones dodododo young ones, young ones shouldn't be afwaid' HAHAHAHAHA !! HAW HAW HAW!! What a killer Rick Mayall is a top guy my brothers!!! Actually ( ahem ahem, Looks embarrased ) I'm supposed to do a pretty good impression of him myself!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

My favorite episode is the one where the house is under water and neil is taking a mud bath.

Or the one when the bomb falls in the kitchen..

Simon- thanks man I will email you my address.

-- OH yeah fantasic - I just watched the blues brothers last night. Funny I didnt think of that. I love that scence with John Lee Hooker playing on the street. That fret buzz is the Shit.

BK

The Rutles: All You Need is Cash. Best parody ever.

Spinal Tap. Second Best.

Hard Day's Night, Help and Yellow Submarine all stand up to repeated viewings, and have great music video sequences. Magical Mystery Tour doesn't work real well as a movie, but has some great Music Video moments.

The Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus would have been a great movie, if they hadn't waited 30 years to release it. Some tremendous filmed performances, and an incredible historical document.

The Wall is an incredibly disturbing, disturbed, dark movie, absolutely no fun at all. And yet, great. There are some great combinations of visual and song.

All of the preceding are worth owning.

Most under-rated (and most unseen): One Trick Pony. Paul Simon has a great band, including Tony Levin on bass and Steve Gadd on drums, all of whom "act" in the film. Some funny bits, including Lou Reed as Paul's producer.

It's hard to do a good, serious movie about rock n roll. Maybe you shouldn't even try. There have been some classic comedies with a rock n roll related plot:

Airheads

Wayne's World

The Doors (that WAS a comedy, right?)

High Fidelity (a must-see)

GIMME SHELTER. Sheeesh... amazing film. Just got the DVD version that has a bunch of outtakes and stuff, too.

Speaking of which, does anybody have TAP on DVD? There's like an hour of outtakes and most of them are just as funny as what ended up in the movie!

Tap is way up there on my faves list of course, as is the Rutles. When the Rutles first came out I could NOT stop laughing. My favorite line was just kinda casually tossed off in such a way that you might miss it if you weren't totally paying attention: "Leggy's father was such a snob that he wore swim trunks in the bath to prevent him looking down on the unemployed."

What else... A Hard Day's Night is awesome. And Don't Look Back, a documentary of Bob Dylan in his prime, on tour in England in 1965. There are some hilarious scenes of Dylan totally tearing apart some lame interviewers.

I liked That Thing You Do, too. And High Fidelity is killer. The Last Waltz... The Kids Are Alright... Rock'N'Roll Circus... geez, too many to list!

And how about the L.A. punk documentary "The Rise and Fall of Western Civilization"? 'Course most of the subjects are dead now, but...

--Lee

Lee said:

>>>Speaking of which, does anybody have TAP on DVD? There's like an hour of outtakes and most of them are just as funny as what ended up in the movie!

======================================

The part where Bruno Kirby brings the pizza to the hotel room and is forced into smoking his first joint and ends up singing "All The Way" in his underwear had me rolling on the floor.

This message has been edited by KHAN on 04-21-2001 at 12:25 AM

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by rsaboiasilva@hotmail.com:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Spinal Tap?

Fire away...

Rod

words alone can't describe This Is Spinal Tap

run, don't walk, with $3 in hand to your nearest Blockbuster and rent it tonight (what the hell else is there on TV tonight...the XFL Championship?!?)

watch it 2 or 3 or 50 times and laugh your ass off

we could start a thread just on favorite scenes from Spinal Tap alone...

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Spinal Tap?

Take Mzeger's advice, but if you must know, Spinal Tap is a documentary of a fictitious band.

If memory serves, it was directed by Rob Reiner, and starred Harry Shearer (Most notably, the voice of Principal Skinner and many others on The Simpsons, but he's been in a lot of TV and some movies.), Michael McKean (Let's see.. Squiggy on Laverne & Shirley, cast member on Saturday Night Live, lots of movies.), Chrisotpher Guest (Also from Saturday Night Live, The six fingered man from the movie Princess Bride and Bruno Kirby(man he's been in a LOT of great movies, including The Freshman, Good Morning Vietnam {as the dj who THOUGHT he was funny, classic}, Biloxi Blues.. I could do a whole page on him.)

It follows the band on tour. Classic scenes for anyone who's ever been in or worked around touring musicians.

But like the man said, plunk down yer $3 and see it yourself.

Oh, and yes Scott from MA, you ARE the only person to think Spinal Tap isn't hilarious. (From my experience.) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Check out THIS THREAD from last year on Craig's Forum about music movies.

"This is Spinal Tap" & "Blues Brothers" simply cannot be beat with "Almost Famous" a close third in my book, but what a disaster "Blues Brothers 2000" was...they tried to copy just about ever scene from the original and the little kid & John Goodman were simply awful.

Enter my votes for:

Spinal Tap

Song Remains The Same

The Kids Are Alright

Quadrophenia

Gimme Shelter

Woodstock

Blow Up (the one with the Yardbirds, not the Travolta flick)

Break out the popcorn....

Does it count if the movie has "music scenes" in the movie, but isn't a "rock movie"?

How about the one that has Jeff Healey playing some songs in a bar, I forget the name, but it has Patrick Swazie as the karate chopping bouncer who saves the town!

Pretty lame movie, but Jeff's parts were very cool!

How about LAME Rock movies...

Like... Any movie starring Elvis...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived