Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FAVORITE ROCK'N'ROLL MOVIE(S)

KHAN

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about the one that has Jeff Healey playing some songs in a bar, I forget the name, but it has Patrick Swazie as the karate chopping bouncer who saves the town!

That would be Roadhouse Guitplayer!

Truly crummy, inbetween the Jeff Healey Band and the fight scenes.. oh.. most of those coincided!

Neil http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Checked out blockbuster today, they do have the DVD version but it was out... :-(

I'll keep checking... Thanks for the info.

Rod

rutles and tap by far top the list. watch "a face in the crowd" from the 50's starring mayberry's own andy griffith for a truly scary portrayal of the music biz. "still crazy" was cute. prince's "sign of the times" is one kickin' concert film. the new sex pistols film "filth and the fury" is excellent. "punk rock movie" shot by don letts (who later ended up in big audio dynamite) is a very interesting film. "desparate teenage lovedolls" shot on super-8 in the 80's and starring a punk rock who's who of los angeles is cool. better yet is "1976" with rob reiner, redd kross and david cassidy. don't forget those "decline of the western civilization" movies...lot's of good stuff there. "gimme shelter" and "cocksucker blues" are always fun/scary looks into the stones. "hype" is a really funny documentary look at the whole seattle music explosion. chuck berry's "hail hail rock and roll" is fascinating. i can watch that over and over. (and if you've ever seen the bootleg hotel room video "johnny b. bad" with chuck naked with some white girl groupie well...it ain't citizen kane).... help/hard days night go without saying.... the zep movie "the dong remains the same" is a crappy show by a great band with a never ending closeup of robert plant's penis bulge in his jeans.... the joan jett/michael j. fox/michael "tap" mckean movie "light of day" was a real dog (my old roommate and i actually got called to read for parts in that film!).... 'rock n roll high school" was a fun goof (if you like roger corman films, which i do).... the "blues brothers" is such a overwrought mess, but you gotta love it just for the way the talent outshines john landis' idiotic direction... those early "devo" films are beyond wild... "woodstock" is a lot better when you have the luxury of a "fast forward" button as is zappa's "200 motels" and "baby snakes"....the best part of "the last waltz" is neil young with that giant cocaine booger hanging out of his nose... and then of course there's the super bizarre "monkees" jack nicholson scripted LSD film "head."... it's cheesy. but i liked the jerry lee lewis "great balls of fire" flick.. starring wynona "i'll sleep with any musician that's why my nickname is 'ride her'" ryder, and with the backup band being john doe from x, jimmie vaughan of the t-birds, and mojo nixon! rock on.

-d. gauss

Another movie that has a great "music interlude" is Twins, with Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger. As part of the plot, there's a bar scene, and a fight breaks out. The guitarist in the band playing that's in the background is none other than Jeff Beck. For those that had seen Blow Up, the scene is somewhat reminiscent of what went on during the Yardbirds' scene in that movie. Put those on your list of movies to watch on a rainy day.

Don't forget "Crossroads." Remember that piece of crap starring, of all people, the Karate Kid, as an alleged blues guy?!?

Let's get the whitest of white boys, and the most lame and least cool, and have him follow in Robert Johnson's footsteps.

The movie was notable only for Steve Vai's cameo as the Devil, dueling with little Karate boy--although what they played can hardly be called blues.

p.s. Want to see a great concert film? The Who at the Isle of Wight, 1970. (Not the "Aisle of White," which is what they should have called "Crossroads.") A tour de force. They were paradoxically very sloppy and very tight. Along with their performances at Monterey (1967), the Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus (1968), and Woodstock (1969), when you watch this, and then think about the hype back then about the Stones being the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World, and it's pretty laughable.

Can't believe no one mentioned "Get Crazy" great parody: "I said a Blues band not a Jews band!" All those 60's acid exploitation flix were great too! Jack Nicholson as Stoney, the bass player with a "Lee-Press-on" ponytail playing what sounded like backwards Hendrix. This film also featured The Strawberry Alarm Clock and The Seeds, great stuff. And who can forget Max Frost and the Troopers big hit "Shapes of Things to Come" from Wild in the Streets....Cheers...Cristofe

Great one´s, too see over-and-over again:

1. Bad News on tour

2. The Rutles "All you need is cash!"

3. Talking Heads "Stop making sense"

4. Leningrad Cowboys go America

5. Sex Pistols "The filth and the fury"

6. Still Crazy

7. Not really a movie: Grace Jones "A one man show"-videos.

8. Tie: Residents "Video Voodoo" & "The Eyes Scream". Some amazingly sick stuff that stays in your head forever.

9. No music, but very Rock&nRoll-ish: Luc Godard´s first movie "À bout de souffle" (aka Breathless). Quite simply one of the greatest movies ever IMHO.

10. Most of Jim Jarmush´films

Runner-ups:

11. A Hard Days Night

12. Blues Brothers

13. Madness Video collection

14. Cheech & Chong: "Up in Smoke"

15. Tie: Musicals rather than R&R, but never the less rockin´: "Priscilla, Queen of the desert"/"Hair"

Nearly made it to the list: Both Austin Powers movies, Almost famous, High Fidelity, Colors, That Thing You Do, Let it Be, Help, La Bamba

Rather boring R&R films, still worth seeing once but maybe not twice:

Spinal Tap, 200 Motels, Almost any Elvis movie, Yellow Submarine, Woodstock, Phantom of the Park (feat. Kiss), TGIF, Car Wash, American Graffiti, Abba The Movie, In bed with Madonna, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Great Rock & Roll Swindle, What´s love got to do with it,

Worst speculative kind of crap ever made: Waynes World 2, Blues Brothers 2000, Pink Floyd live in Pompeii, Spice Girls the movie,

/Mats

This message has been edited by mats.olsson@rockfile.se on 04-27-2001 at 09:43 PM

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• 1 month later...

Don't flame me for this. I know the movie was lame, but the final battle of the bands in "Blues Brothers 2000" is worth the price of the DVD by itself. Even Dan Aykroyd's goofy version of Funky Nassau, with Erika Badu was pretty good.

What about Repo Man? I'll take Punk themed Sci Fi comedies whenever I can get them. certainly the best role I've ever seen Emilio Esteves play.

BTW - I haven't seen it myself (yet,) but has anyone seen "Six String Samurai". It sounds like a pretty funny flick.

Anyone remember a movie with Roy Orbison in it called something like "The Fastest Guitar In the West"? A cheesy western about some dude who had a gun hidden in a guitar kicking the bad guys' butts...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I used to watch the end of "Crossroads" over and over again. Steve Vai was great! Did you know he wasnt supposed to be in the movie? He did the soundtrack and was on the set as a technical advisor. The second the director saw him, he fired the actor and had Steve play the part. Wonderful! No one could of done that like the man himself!

Man, I miss the Young Ones. I watched that religiously!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Michael McKean (Let's see.. Squiggy on Laverne & Shirley, cast member on Saturday Night Live, lots of movies.),

Actually, Michael McKean played Lenny on Lavernve and Shirley

And NO ONE has mentioned Pink Floyd, "Live From Pompei"! OK, so, I just happen to be a huge Floyd fan, so this just leap into my mind.

And ... How about "Black and Blue" Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult live.

I really don't know what to put here.

"Live at Pompeii" !!! I love that movie!! They show all the clips of them in the studio recording "Dark Side of the Moon". And the live performance.....Classic!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Originally posted by Lisa:

Another movie that has a great "music interlude" is Twins, with Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger. As part of the plot, there's a bar scene, and a fight breaks out. The guitarist in the band playing that's in the background is none other than Jeff Beck. For those that had seen Blow Up, the scene is somewhat reminiscent of what went on during the Yardbirds' scene in that movie. Put those on your list of movies to watch on a rainy day.

Don't forget Kelly Preston walking into the room adjacent to the bathroom, just in time to catch a towel wrapped Arnold Schwarzenegger sing, "Yakity Yak, DON'T TALK BACK!" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Duhduh:

"Live at Pompeii" !!! I love that movie!! They show all the clips of them in the studio recording "Dark Side of the Moon". And the live performance.....Classic!

I remember seeing that movie as a kid and thinking "man, look at all of that gear! That is SOOOO cool!". Little did I know I would one day not only know what that gear was, but know how to use it and even owned some of it. Apparently the Beastie Boys thought that was neat as well: one of their videos is shot ala Pompei, complete with traveling pan camera shots of Hiwatt 4x12s with "Pink Floyd - London" stenciled on the back.

Gilmour sitting there, twisting knobs, closeups of his fingers - the magic of it was very enthralling to a young Pink Floyd fan. Even the sans serif font they used for the titles - there was obviously a Kubrick influence going on, ala 2001 - I love that font, the thinner Swiss Inserat series.

Great performances, live playing minimalist production... Great version of "Echoes", Mason losing his stick in "One of These Days" and keeping on, the studio stuff (which I understand was staged). Every young musician should see it.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived