Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official AI 2007 Thread

daBowsa

Don't forget, they always have a joke contestant on there that does quite well. Chicken Little, Conan O'Brian, Bucky...

I'm not really into it this year as much - possibly because I have a DVR now I don't have to plant myself in front of the tv at game time, and I can zip through the performers I don't care about.

I like Gina and Melinda and Blake. My favorite gear moments were when Blake was doing a remix on his laptop and there was a NL2 close up action shot at the beginning of one song a few weeks back.

All in all, this whole season seems rushed to me. I guess its just like when companies debut 60 second commercials and eventually pare them down to 15.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I see it, Idol's got a real problem this year (although it's obviously not affecting the show's ratings at all).

If this Sanjaya thing doesn't end soon, it has all the makings of turning the show into a national joke.

I agree. Sanjaya is such a joke. Someone at work today was telling me that Howard Stern is leading an anti-AI counter-culture to prod people into voting for Sanjaya. I guess their intent is to see if someone lacking what it takes can make it far, based on jamming the ballot box with votes. I'm not a fan of this and I wish the judges, public or someone had a little more control to avoid it. But I guess that is part of what makes the AI experience such a spectacle and probably wins some of the viewers.

I agree. Sanjaya is such a joke. Someone at work today was telling me that Howard Stern is leading an anti-AI counter-culture to prod people into voting for Sanjaya. I guess their intent is to see if someone lacking what it takes can make it far, based on jamming the ballot box with votes. I'm not a fan of this and I wish the judges, public or someone had a little more control to avoid it. But I guess that is part of what makes the AI experience such a spectacle and probably wins some of the viewers.

Yep, and you can bet that the producers are praying that Sanjaya goes home soon. God forbid he actually wins. I heard somewhere that Simon Cowell says he'll quit the show if Sanjaya wins. Of course, if Sanjaya wins, there may be no show left for Simon to quit: It may just die at that point on its own.

Noah

Yeah, I'm still watching.

I can't f'ing BELIEVE that Sanjaya is still on the show. It really is quite the joke. But, Chicken Little lasted longer than this last year, and his voice was no better.

I found this week's show excruciating. The songs they were chosing from were mostly done by singers who don't have amazing blast-em-out pipes, but who are great because of their control, style and rhythm. Donna Summer is possibly an exception to this, but Sting, Gwen Stephani and that guy from the Cure all fit this bill, IMO.

This is the worst possible song type for AI contestants to emulate. None of them were really up to the task. The judges called Chris for not being "in the pocket", but I was really surprised that they didn't call the others on it. It was really highlighted for me when Gwen Stephani performed the next night -- her vocals were tight, controlled and rhythmic as hell.

And Haley's sugar-coated vanilla presentation of "True Colors" was just truly unbearable.

Remind me again, why do I watch this show? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, sometimes it's actually good. Not this week, though.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I don't think Sanjaya will last too much longer. Ryan completely ridiculed the Mohawk. That and the little girl crying are all that kept him on. The people that voted for the ones that were kicked off, like Chris, are going to vote for one of the others that actually have talent, not some joke kid that's outlived his 15 minutes of fame.

With Tony Bennett songs next week, Sanjaya will crash and burn, so he might finally leave.

My wife thinks both Phil and Hayley need to go, but not until Sanjaya gets the much needed boot.

I think Melinda has the best shot, and I actually look forward to her performance each week. I like LaKisha and Jordan as well, but they're not quite in the same league as Melinda. Girl's a natural performer, and makes it look effortless.

Maybe I should start voting.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

It was really highlighted for me when Gwen Stephani performed the next night -- her vocals were tight, controlled and rhythmic as hell.

--Dave

I was actually surprised by Gwen's performance. I'm not one of her biggest fans, in fact I don't like much of what she does, but I liked the song she did. While being "fresh and new", it paid homage to Classic R&B. Cool tune.

But, I'll bite. Who the hell is Akon? :confused:

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Yeah the Sanjaya thing is a little more serious than the Scott Sabol's or Chicken little's of the past, the reason is that Sanjaya really is in command of his "little girl nation" audience. From little girls to 30 year olds, they all vote and route for him loyaly. Pre-teens worship him like he's there Elvis, Teen girls want him, and grown woman all want his hair.

There are a couple morning drive radio shows here in Atlanta that have had local hairdressers calling in to report that a large chunk of there female customers are asking for "Sanjaya hair". Wierd phenomenon..

Regarding the show, it will be interesting to see if producers will just pull the plug on this kid to save the show..either way, look for next years show to change format, and only allow voting for the singer they want to go home instead of there favs.

And yes, the band is phenominal. I find myself tuning out the bad singers and being capitvated by that bad ass drummer all the time! *sneaks off to check AI website for band members bio's*

TROLL . . . ish.

But, I'll bite. Who the hell is Akon? :confused:

He's a rapper/singer who had a huge hit recently with "Smack That" (which was nominated for a Grammy and also features Eminem). His album "Konvicted" is still in the top 10 on Billboard's 200.

My six year-old son loves "Smack That," and I gotta admit it's pretty darn funny to hear him sing along with the lyrics, which he clearly (and thankfully) doesn't understand:

Smack that / All on the floor

Smack that / Give me some more

Smack that / Til you get sore

Smack that / Ohhhh

:grin:

Noah

Yeah. I watch the show too. I was sorry to see Chris go, but his performance this week was definitely sub-par. And while Sanjaya can't sing worth beans, his hairstyles definitely have some entertainment value. I'm sure Melinda, Lakisha, and Jordin all have professional singing careers ahead of them regardless of which one of them wins (I can't imagine anyone other than one of these three winning). I also can't understand why the judges like Chris Richardson so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Latin night was not so good. :P

I love the band on this show, and their versatility is amazing. But tonight definitely didn't sit in their sweet spot. It felt to me like no one in the band was feeling the clave at all.

And what's up with ONE GUY playing both timbales and congas? You can hire 17 horn and string players, but you can't have both a timballero AND a conguero? On Latin night? Really?

Pshaw.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

Yup, and during the first solo of Maria Maria, the guitar player made a huge clam. The problem with those latin songs, is that most of them are technically not great songs to sing. Smooth is horrible!!!!! (I know I have to sing it) Alot of those songs have a three note, low range. Terrible. Everybody knows JLO can't sing, she was even out of tune when trying to coach somebody, what the hell is she doing on the show? I thought I was watching a promo for Yamaha too, S90ES, CFIII, Motifs, Mos, etc.. Great! (Yes I saw the Phantom too)

JH

I thought I was watching a promo for Yamaha too, S90ES, CFIII, Motifs, Mos, etc.. Great!

They do seem to have overcome their fear of showing the keyboard player this year. I also saw a Fantom X7 last night. A week or two ago I even saw an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 in the rehearsal studio.

Regards,

Joe

Yo dawg, check it out, check it out. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a KB Mag feature on the AI keyboard players! That would be the bomb! How about it, Ernie and Steve?!

The camera angles have shown us more action than usual from the band this year, which is cool. Last night, there was a clear shot of the one guy's S90ES with X7 up top and there was a Nord Electro in L configuration to his right. My kids were like, "Look dad, he has the same keyboards as you!"

Seems like the other guy has a triple-decker with a NL2x up top, then a Fantom and Motif ES8 (not entirely sure which ones, as he is more obscured.

I would love to keep it real and learn more about these players, how they built their rigs and how they go about putting together the tunes for each week.

As for the various brands, it is usually pretty obvious product placement...primarily from Yamaha and Roland in the AI live band, but a little bit of Korg, too. Often, the guest artists have some type of endorsement agreement (see the Gwen Stefani segment when she had M-Audio and Korg in the background of her studio shots and the JLo which was nothing but Yamaha).

I was not a big fan of last night's show, but gear-spotting is always fun. I think that Haley or Phil may be in the bottom tonight.

I believe the AI MD is Ricky Minor. This cat has been MD for many TV bands lately.

I'm not sure about the keyboard players on AI. C'mon KB mag, get the scoop dawg! :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

[font:Microsoft Sans Serif]

I believe the AI MD is Ricky Minor. This cat has been MD for many TV bands lately.

I'm not sure about the keyboard players on AI. C'mon KB mag, get the scoop dawg! :cool:

[/font]AI keyboard player interview from Roland Insider - May 2006 issue

[Not sure if Herman is the keyboardist this season.] http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/ftb/insider/artists/Herman%20Jackson/HermanJackson1.jpg

The ratings are nothing short of phenomenal. American Idol has been, and continues to be, the biggest show on primetime TV, grabbing more viewers than the Winter Olympics!

For keyboardist Herman Jackson, joining the American Idol house band for Season 5 has proven to be a spectacular gig, but Herman is no newcomer to high-profile performance. His bio reads like a music-industry directory, including live performances and/or recordings with Aretha Franklin, Babyface, Quincy Jones, Jessica Simpson, Stevie Wonder, Rod Stewart, Whitney Houston, Gladys Knight, George Benson, Too $hort, Tone Loc, Outkast, Peabo Bryson, and James Ingram to name a few.

Herman geared up for the American Idol gig with a new synth rig that featured a Roland Fantom-X7 and a V-Synth. We visited the American Idol set recently, and heres what he had to say about life on TVs hottest show.

How did you land the American Idol gig?

I know Ricky Minor, the music director. Ive worked with him over the past 10 years or so, starting with James Ingram then Whitney Houston, and weve done a ton of TV shows. So when he needs somebody, Im one of the people hell call.

With so many songs to learn each week, this show must keep the band on its toes.

Its a lot of material and a short amount of time to do it in. And its gotta be consistent. We have to create an even playing field for each of the contestants. It has to be right every time, and if theres not enough time, youve gotta figure out how to make it right.

Describe a typical weeks production schedule.

Each week, the elimination show is on Wednesday. On Thursday, the singers pick the song for the following week, so usually by Thursday night or Friday morning we have a rough idea of what each singer is going to do.

Are MP3s or charts sent?

Initially well get MP3s of the original versions of the songs, then cut-down versions and charts. Ricky [Minor, Music Director] gets it all together. He works with a team of arrangers; theres too much material for one person to tackle alone. I do some arrangements in fact. So on Friday Ill get my arrangement assignment, work on that, and turn it in on Saturday. Throughout the weekend, I listen to the other songs as well. Then we come in on Monday, get the charts, listen to the original version, listen to the cut-down version, and start reading down the charts. Well run through everything with just the band, take a lunch break, then the singers will come in and well rehearse with each singer two or three times.

Thats Monday. Then on Tuesday, which is taping day, we arrive in the morning, and rehearse again with each singer. Then we take a break, come back, and we do a full dress rehearsal. After that we tape the show.

There must be a lot of curveballs thrown at you last-minute key changes, etc.

Herman

All the time. We changed some stuff today, in fact. When the singers come in, sometimes you listen to them and know that youre going to need to raise or lower the key.

How has your Roland Fantom-X7 been working out?

Im lovin the Fantom. Its very easy to get around on, and the sounds are great. I love the brass, the strings, the electric pianos.... The sounds are thick, and the synth itself is quick to use. On this gig, I dont have time to turn knobs. I have to find a patch [snaps fingers] and its gotta be ready to go. I used the pad bank on one show to trigger bell tree sounds, which was handy. On the Stevie [Wonder] show, I used the Fantom for some Clav. I also love the Mixer window. The architecture of this synth is the best Ive seen.

How about the newest member of your rig, the V-Synth?

Im still learning it, and looking forward to getting deeper into it. Im starting to use it for some basses and leads. I used for the [George Michael] song Father Figure. The D-50 emulator [VC-1 card for V-Synth] will come in very handy in the future.

Speaking of, are you planning to tour after the season wraps at the end of May?

Ill be out with Heather Headley, so the next couple of months are gonna be very busy.

Visit Herman online at www.hermanjackson.com.

Thanks for sharing the story on Herman...pretty sure he is the guy I mentioned with the S90ES, X7 and Electro in his rig.

The one-hour Results show tonight was really boring. I wish they kept it to 30 min and took away all the fluff. My prediction on bottom two was correct, though I'm sorry to see Haley leaving (not a fan of her singing, but she was pretty easy on the eyes).

I correctly predicted the bottom three too. It wasn't really that hard this week.

I've really wanted to like Haley all along, she just seems to want it so bad and for some reason she strikes me as very genuine. But, she's merely a good singer, not great. And her rhythm is particularly not so good, that was really her downfall in last night's performance. Turn The Beat Around is actually a pretty tough song to sing, rhythmically. She should have figured that out before choosing the song, because she completely butchered the "guitar player scratching" part of the lyric.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

Archived