Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official AI 2007 Thread

daBowsa

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never watched until last season, and it's pretty dang entertaining. It's a very polished presentation. I'm not interested in the reality-esque portion at the beginning, but I'll most likely tune in when the competition starts.

Regards,

Joe

The only reason I'll watch AI is to marvel at Ryan Seacrest's ability to handle all that weirdness! From the clowns on the stage - to the nutjob judges, Ryan's performance as the sole "normal" person in site stands out. If only I had his skills for dealing with the clowns in my work life!

How DOES he do it?

The SpaceNorman :freak:

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I seems to me that the editors are including way more of the "short bus" crowd in the early going now. My wife and I noticed towards the end they showed a 30-second clip of 7 or 8 people walking out with tickets to Hollywood, but we hadn't heard any of them sing.

I was also impressed with the siblings. That 16-year-old boy did a fabulous job with "Signed Sealed Delivered". Doesn't hurt that I really love that tune.

God, there was a lot of badness though.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Yeah, we'll see plenty of the chosen ones later on. Especially because they always replay their auditions before they do their number.

I did catch a few last night - the guy with the kicking 'fro had a nice voice. I was mesmerized by Unchained Melody.

You could just tell they had the "let him finish the song, this is good tv" order in place.

Suffice to say, if J.H. wins this, everything is gonna change in the A.I. universe.

2007 Oscar noms: Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls" ; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

TROLL . . . ish.

• 4 weeks later...
I missed tonight, the top 12 guys show. Anything worth watching?

Not really. I kept falling asleep during the show, literally. None of these guys has really impressed me just yet. They're all just ok. Need to weed a few of them out and see if the other guys can bring their A game next time.

I agree. I think they all same about normal. Nothing fancy, nothing great. You know the singers are performing above average when the band really gets into the groove, and play their hearts out, as they did last season. However, this only happens after the first couple of weeks. We'll see what transpires.

Erlic

I liked the beatbox guy and the chubby guy with the curly hair the best.

Same here. There were a lot of first night jitters. I also wonder if they could hear. The show has been notorious for having monitoring problems in early episodes. When that many people go from being decent to not being on key and not being in time it is a sign that they either cannot hear themselves or the band.

Overall it was a boring night and got a bit weird when Simon was criticizing the curly hair guy. You could tell that he wanted to say "you don't look like a singer" and then was backed into a corner.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

[font:Verdana]For my money, I think the main contenders this year for the guys will be Chris Sligh(Jack Osbourne look a like), Brandon Rogers(back-up singer for Christina A), Phil Stacey(Bald guy w/ newborn baby), with Nicholas Pedro, Jared Cotter & Chris Richardson in serious contention.

No I don't know them all that well yet, I was cheating using this Wiki page- Idol 6(scroll down).

Was it just me, or did the tension between Simon and Seacrest seem a little real last night?[/font]

TROLL . . . ish.

Was it just me, or did the tension between Simon and Seacrest seem a little real last night?

First off, I don't watch the show.

Last night we came back from a community meeting and I flipped on the very end because I had seen an article about a guy from the area (Sundance Head) and wanted to see what I thought of him. I only caught from where they showed clips of each singer. I thought most were terrible, including the area guy.

But to address the point above, I saw that Seacrest thanked Paula and Randy, then everyone else, and didn't mention Simon at all. What happened?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Was it just me, or did the tension between Simon and Seacrest seem a little real last night?

First off, I don't watch the show.

What happened?

Madd tension-

Ryan turned into the kid from the exorcist after being called Sweetheart by Simon.

Simon then sat there with head down, and said."You've made this all pretty uncomfortable Ryan" *dead silence* Then Simon repeated it.

TROLL . . . ish.

I did notice simon seemed to be hanging pretty low when they cut to the judges' table when seacrest was talking. I've always thought Seacrest was a tool, and I guess he's an exorcist tool... lol

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Last night we came back from a community meeting and I flipped on the very end because I had seen an article about a guy from the area (Sundance Head) and wanted to see what I thought of him. I only caught from where they showed clips of each singer. I thought most were terrible, including the area guy.

I had hoped that Sundance would do well. I liked him in the auditions. He sang Knights in White Satin. He sucked.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• 1 month later...

So is anyone still following the show? I've seen most of them and I don't have one favorite at the moment. I'm rooting for Blake, Melinda, Gina and Chris (gotta stick up for my local boy from Chesapeake, VA). The others are just aaight to me. Haley is a naughty little one.

I've really enjoyed how this year they had more cameras planted in the band - a few episodes had some great close-ups of the drummer doing silly expressions while he rocked the kit. The AI band is top-notch. Lots of good gear-spotting as well!

Melinda and Blake seem to be the front runners in my mind. The problem I have with Melinda is she is very one dimensional. Her delivery is the same in every song.

What does everyone think about the Senjal(sp?) situation? He obviously sucks. But there are many campaigns out there such as Howard Stern, who are pushing for people to vote for him. They are labeling it as an anti AI event. While it maybe funny, some talented singers are going home just to perpetuate the joke.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

As I see it, Idol's got a real problem this year (although it's obviously not affecting the show's ratings at all).

If this Sanjaya thing doesn't end soon, it has all the makings of turning the show into a national joke.

Furthermore, none of the remaining guys is any good. I suppose Blake's a decent performer with a degree of creativity/originality that is rare for the show, but his voice -- ahh, the all-important voice, since this is a singing competition -- is simply weak. I actually think Phil has the best voice of the remaining guys, but the guy looks like a cancer patient. None of these guys holds a candle to the crop of male vocal talent that was assembled at a similar point in last year's show (Daughtry, Eliot Yamin, Taylor Hicks -- although Kevin Covais was as much of a joke as Sanjaya).

As for the girls, there's no question that LaKisha and Melinda can blow with the absolute best of 'em, but it's hard to envision either of them selling a bunch of records. And, since that's a significant goal of the show's producers, therein lies another problem. TV ratings last only season, but a huge hitmaker like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood means big dollars for a long time, and it's hard for me to see a big hitmaker among the remaining contestants.

I agree with Robert: Jordin Sparks, at 17, is an incredible talent voice-wise and, although she doesn't have the prototypical pop star body, she's cute as heck, seemingly nice as heck, and could find a niche with the right set of songs. I believe this is why Simon is starting to pump her up: She actually has potential to be a commercial success. I also believe that this is why the judges seem to like Blake: He, too, could actually sell some records.

Anyway, the show keeps my interest, so I have to give it credit for that.

Noah

Archived