Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you say at mike check?

stepay

Another thread made me think to start this one.

My three favorites:

1) Mike number one, mike number one. Isn't this a lot of fun?

2) Ricola!!!!!

3) Head On, apply directly to the forehead. Head On, apply directly to the forehead. Head On, apply directly to the forehead.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in Japan, I used to test mikes by saying the most obscene Italian cursing words I could think of, for the benefit of my bandmates. The most challenging thing was to keep a straight face and a 'pro' attitude...

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Funny, I thought it was because only the drummer can count to 4...

This would sound better by moving one word: The drummer can only count to 4.

:D

I used to work in radio as a technical operator. A tech op should never be heard over the air.

So there was this reverse magic thing where if you said something that would be really bad if it went out it wouldn't happen.

So we would recite a poem to test a mic. It went something like this:

Mary had a little lamb

She kept it in a bucket

and every day on her way home from school

???

Hm - that's as much as I remember.

I usually start out with a few cycles of "check-a-check-a-hey" followed by a monologue about slides from my ficticious summer vacation to the Everglades. Talk of all the swamps, snakes and things that slither seem to check for an appropriate "sssttt" on the top - while popping "p's" about the plane ride to Pompano confirm the compressor is doing what it does - and finally couple of accappella ditty's courtesy of my guide Guido gives me the warm and fuzzy that the vocal settings are OK overall.

That's of course if I'M doing it myself. If anybody else helps out - they usually just blow into mic and ask "Is this thing on?"

Thanks for asking!

The SpaceNorman :freak:

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Originally posted by marino:

[QB] When I was in Japan, I used to test mikes by saying the most obscene Italian cursing words I could think of, for the benefit of my bandmates. The most challenging thing was to keep a straight face and a 'pro' attitude...

Second laugh of the day. Thanks!

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Nigel: Hello, hello, hello, hello

David: Testin',test, test, test, test "This is mike number one, this is mike number one, isn't this a lot of fun?" okay, got the mikes...

Nigel: Two, two, let's do G. S. M, alright...G. S. M.

Originally posted by bass and keys:

Originally posted by RonL:

batting fifth...

check one check one isn't this a lot of fun - Nigel St. Hubbands

Who is Nigel St. Hubbands? I know Nigel Tufnel and David St. Hubbins. Is he a composite of the two of them?

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Joe P:

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota...

Like this. Did Pedro Borbon and Manny Mota ever play on the same team? I'm a huge Reds fan, so I know that Manny Mota never played for the Reds. Not that it has to have been true, but I don't think they ever played on the same team -- All Star team maybe?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by stepay:

Originally posted by Joe P:

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota...

Like this. Did Pedro Borbon and Manny Mota ever play on the same team? I'm a huge Reds fan, so I know that Manny Mota never played for the Reds. Not that it has to have been true, but I don't think they ever played on the same team -- All Star team maybe?
Pedro was a relief ace with the Reds, He didn't bat a lot. But he did bite some guy in a brawl once. Manny Mota, he was like 50 yrs old and still pinch hitting.But never for the Reds. Pedro was traded at one time . I forgot to whom.

I usually switch to Russian or Spanish, but that can be dangerous in the SF Bay Area as we have so many native speakers :-). I won't repeat the sort of nonsense I say in those languages at sound check :-).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Trois p'tits chats...

Trois p'tits chats...

Trois p'tits chats, chats, chats...

Chapeau d'paille,

Chapeau d'paille,

Chapeau d'paille, paille, paille...

Paillasson...

Paillasson...

Paillasson, son, son...

Somnambule...

(This silly song continues for many other verses until it loops back to Trois p'tits chats.... Like the most annoying song you can sing to the bus driver on a long trip when you're young.) :D

Archived