Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How good is VK-7?

jimmymio

I'm looking to pick up a clone for limited use and noticed that these sell, sometimes with an SKB, in the $700-$800 range on ebay. Is this a good purchase? Is there anything else in this price range that I should be looking at? FWIW I would use it with an S90ES.

Thanks, JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sold my vk-7 for 700 about 4 years ago. I'd think that price is a bit high. If it's got a case thats probably an alright deal if it's close to the 700 end.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Originally posted by JinVA:

VK8m module is in that price range new. Great buy if you don't mind using the S90 as the controller, or purchasing a cheap midi controller to go along with it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to avoid going the controller/module route.

But tell me: is the VK-8 a big improvement over the 7?

JP

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Meh. I always found the Rolands unsatisfying in the high octaves. They tend to get a bit thin and shrill.

I'll bet you could get a used Electro 61 for not much more money.

Do you think the organs on the electro are better than the vk-7? Also, although I'm definitely not a seasoned Hammond player, I did want something with drawbars. How effective are the electros at imitating drawbars?

Thanks, JP

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Originally posted by jimmymio:

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Meh. I always found the Rolands unsatisfying in the high octaves. They tend to get a bit thin and shrill.

I'll bet you could get a used Electro 61 for not much more money.

Do you think the organs on the electro are better than the vk-7? Also, although I'm definitely not a seasoned Hammond player, I did want something with drawbars. How effective are the electros at imitating drawbars?

Thanks, JP

The only thing the VK has over the Electro is its interface with the real drawbars. And the VK overdrive is a little better. Otherwise, the Electro is a step up in terms of the modeled Hammond sound, better tone, better chorus/vibrato, and much better waterfall keyboard. The Electro "imitates drawbars" extremely well (aside from the use of the LED 'drawbuttons'). I use mine with a set of MIDI Drawbars and I would take that over the VK7 any day. Particularly the keyboard action.

Don't get me wrong - the VK7 can hold its own. But it has been surpassed by other gear. I would not pay much more than $500-600 for one. If you dig the Rolands, you would be better off saving for a used VK8, which show up under $1k and are not much more new. A used Electro in the $800 range would be superb.

Regards,

Eric

I sold my VK7 for the Electro. I actually compared their raw organ tones side by side before I sold the VK, with no eq or effects, and I liked the sound of the Electro better. They both sound great into a Leslie.

The VK7 is a good clone, it was top of the line in it's day, like Eric said, it's been surpassed by new er pieces, but it's definitely better than any organ sound you'd get in a non dedicated clone.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived