Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another good story with Sweetwater

mooghead

A long story short...I received my Moog Little Phatty from Sweetwater 40 days ago.

Had a problem with the gig bag, and without hassles today I got a replacement, easy and convenient :-) I'm having a problem on an electrical contact of the light of modulation wheel and was offered to be helped as well: I just don't know if it's worth the effort of international shipping...but still they were helpful in this matter as well.

I bought from them for previous experience from other members and I can't help but adding to their credit.

My consultant Art was always friendly and helpful...

They have good prices, even if on certain items they're not the best ever...but I can't see how you could get a better service: thumbs up :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had good dealings with the folks at Sweetwater Sound.

No, their advertised prices aren't the lowest you'll find on the 'net. However, they always have provided me with over-the-top good service. - Like a phone call a week after I've bought something from them just to be sure I'm happy with it. For me, as a sales guy, that goes a long way. Funny thing about people in sales - if we come across a salesperson who we think is the bomb (wonderful), then we often end up buying everything in site from them. However, a salesperson with poor skills will bring out the worst in me. My wife has often walked away - embarrased because I just won't put up with a crappy salesperson. Funny how that works.

But Sweetwater - yeah, the other nice thing about dealing with them is that they're a reputable company that will be around when you need service on your equipment. I use Kurzweil stuff & they're one of the largest and oldest Kurzweil dealers on the planet. It's nice to know they are there in case I need help with Kurzweil equipment.

They also send me regular newsletters. The last one mentioned that they just moved in to a new building. It's good to see that they're a healthy company.

I've read from people on that other forum that they've been to their retail showroom and report that it too is very nice.

So I think Sweetwater Sound has a pretty good position in the MI retail marketplace. They've made a good name for themselves. It speaks well for them that people who've bought from them once usually come back to buy from them again.

Plus, they throw in candy whenever they ship you stuff. Yeah, it's kind of goofy that they do that, but it helps with brand recognition.

Ummmmm, Santa, don't worry about delivering the Nord Electro 76 key to my house. I'll order it from Sweetwater.

THEY'LL put candy in the box. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Agreed. I've started buying from them in these last couple of years, whenever customer service is important, and they've gone beyond the call every time.

That said, I'm about to buy a Zoom H4 personal recorder and I'll probably buy that locally (Either at GC or Ash) just to support my local stores. Sure, I'll have to pay tax, but I don't want to lose what few resources that we have here in Raleigh.

I have done what cnegrad does to support local music stores, but when I've bought online I've been most happy with http://www.americanmusical.com -- they will often spread the payments out over 3-5 months depending on the price of the item at no additional cost to you. I've wanted to buy from Sweetwater, but their prices have never been competitive enough to do it.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Yep, Sweetwater needs to charge MAP prices for their gear. They can't provide the services they give you by selling everything as cheap as some of the Internet discounters.

I've had to shop by price in the last couple of years because I'm playing music "for a living" and I can say "It's not much of a living". Job market stinks for "real jobs", so if I'm going to be poor, I'll do something I like, instead of working for companies like CommieMart.

I've always had great experiences with Sweetwater, and if you buy a "package" they can get more competitive. Ultimately, they need to make money on what they sell or they won't be there. Oh and yeah, Chuck is still mad at me.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Cnegrad,

That said, I'm about to buy a Zoom H4 personal recorder and I'll probably buy that locally (Either at GC or Ash) just to support my local stores. Sure, I'll have to pay tax, but I don't want to lose what few resources that we have here in Raleigh.

I'm going to get one of those for my piano room myself. Put it right on top of the piano. Over on The Piano Forum there are threads and threads of dicussion about them.

Just one thing though. Zoom was bought or was always a Sam Ash subsidary company. My local GC doesn't carry them nor does Musicians Friend(GC) I believe for that reason. I'd try Ash first!

As soon as I get some Xmas cash, thats where it's going.

lb :wave:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Originally posted by cnegrad:

... and I'll probably buy that locally (Either at GC or Ash) just to support my local stores...

I wish I had a local GC or SamAsh to support. The kbd stores around here don't stock anything I'd want to buy.

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

In my experiences with Sweetwater, which are many, they will match other distributor's prices on most gear. You have to actually ASK for a lower price though, just ordering online won't get you the real deal.

As far as the candy goes, I don't care for it. I usually end up giving it to people at work. It's a cute gimmick that they don't really need IMO.

:DTR

Hi Delirium, I'm an interior designer first of all ;-) ...and Dalpozlead, I wrote them an email a managed the transaction: when goods where shipped I had to pay italian taxes (reaally costly), but in the end I spent the equivalent of 1.500 euros instead of the 1.620 I'd have paid here...not much of a saving but still convenient and with excellent service.

P.s. Ah, Delirium...actually I applied for a summer job at Sweetwater a few years ago: I was studying business administration and would have even worked in their cleaning dept or the warehouse to "experience" such a company. They politely replied they didn't have vacant positions for a B.A. student...but still it was fun to ask ;-)

I live in NW Indiana, and Sweetwater is just a two-hour drive from my home. I occasionally visit Fort Wayne on business, and I always block off at least an hour in my schedule to visit their showroom. Their showroom is excellent with, no pun intended, all of the candy (PEK, A6, Oasys, Nord Stage, Moogs, Hammonds, Yammies, Kurz, etc.). I would strongly recommend anyone within a stones-throw, or even further, to visit this joint. I've purchased a ton of stuff from Sweetwater over the years, and their customer service has been second to none, even when I have returned items. It's refreshing to deal with a company that appears to genuinely care about customer satisfaction. My salesman, Josh, has researched numerous items for me.and dig this..promptly calls me back with prices, availability, etc. I recently purchased my Nord Stage from them, and it just so happened that on this visit I met the general manager, who is a very nice guy, and he reassured me that if things did not work out I could return it. I ended up keeping the Nord Stage, but recently returned a Hammond XM-2 (because it was lousy), so I currently have a credit on my account that is absolutely burning a hole in my pocket.....I'm waiting for the conclusion of NAMM. Also, I've never had an issue with Sweetwater being unable to match a competitor's price, although you do have to ask for it. It seems they are keenly aware of their competitors prices, and will not bat an eyelash if you toss this out to them. Its nice to deal with a company that does business the old fashioned way, and consequently they have 100% of my business.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I don't own stock in Sweetwater, but they're great. I always deal with the same sales person, so he knows me, what I already own and like, and more often than not, we talk for a while about stuff. Even though I've dealt with phone sales people from other companies that were fine, it's extra nice to have that bit of "relationship."

My sales guy, Brendan, has on a few occasions recommended demo or b-stock gear to me, saving me some cash yet I get the same warranty. He'll also sell it to me at an overall cost less than what's listed online. I'd recommend Sweetwater to any musician who is looking for gear they sell (they don't sell everything).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Originally posted by MikeT156:

I've always had great experiences with Sweetwater, and if you buy a "package" they can get more competitive. Ultimately, they need to make money on what they sell or they won't be there. Oh and yeah, Chuck is still mad at me.

Mike T.

Hey Mike,

I'm not mad at you. Why would you say that?

Thanks

Chuck Surack

Sweetwater

Chuck,

Good to see you here. I've been buying from Sweetwater since '95 or so (back in the ADAT days). I was very impressed with the customer service on my Motif. It literally failed 20 minutes before we were going live on the air in Detroit on Mitch Albom's show. Thankfully I mainly play Hammond and had my XK3, so we made it through the gig (just chose tunes that didn't have horns, electric pianos, etc.)

I got on the phone before the gig and tech support asked a few easily answered questions, got Yamaha on the phone, Yammy said "It's broke" and your guys said, "Okay, we'll send another out for tomorrow."

That's what its all about and why I buy from Sweetwater.

Originally posted by B3-er:

That's what its all about and why I buy from Sweetwater.

That is awesome customer service...I wish more of our dealers were like that :love:

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

Archived