Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite tunes in a slow 3/4 gospel style?

Jazz+

"Silent Night" works well in a slow 3/4 gospel style. It's ideal for the walk ups, walk downs, and triad back cycles used over and over in gospel piano.

Which tunes have you played or suggest in a 3/4 gospel style?

Amazing Grace is an obvious candidate, so is Away In A Manger.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jazz+:

"Silent Night" works well in a slow 3/4 gospel style. It's ideal for the walk ups, walk downs, and triad back cycles used over and over in gospel piano.

Which tunes have you played or suggest in a 3/4 gospel style?

Amazing Grace is an obvious candidate, so is Away In A Manger.

I think thats one thing that attracts me to the style is all the movement going on created by the bass lines and inversions. Got to use thase Dimmished chords also in between the walking lines :thu: And throw in a some nice suspended chrds too

Then you turn around and use a lot of the same techniques in funk at a little faster pace...start slappin and palm smearin your organ .....Wasn't it Mate Stubb who said you need to smack your organ around a little everyday. :thu:

I sometimes like to see how many different ways I can stylistcally play a waltz and like to experiment with a lot of voicings.

It's already in 3/4, but you can't really go past Richard Tee for funky gospel keys:

Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After all these Years".

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Haas' Blest Are They works nicely this way, but everyone I know besides me plays it with a duple submeter. And Paris' Lamb of God works well gospelled up a bit. Some of the old time hymns have been mentioned - I'll add Nettleton (Come Thou Font of Every Blessing, God We Praise You, etc.) His Eye is On the Sparrow, and Lead Me, Guide Me. And this one's obscure unless you're in a diehard Glory and Praise Catholic parish, but "Come With Me Into the Fields" makes an awesome gospel-style tune, if you fix a few of the chords.

For pop tunes, Take it to the Limit, You Make Me Feel like a Natural Woman, and I Never Loved a Man (The Way I love You) already use this. In fact, when faced with a new tune, I often play "What Would Aretha Do?" with it while I'm figuring out my approach.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by Jazz+:

"Silent Night" works well in a slow 3/4 gospel style.

This time of year my band covers the Tempataions version of this. Kills it!

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

All in the key of C in a slow 3/4 gospel style:

Silent Night

The Battle Hymn of the Republic "Glory Glory Hallelujah"

Amazing Grace

When The Saints Go Marching In

You Are My Sunshine

Hey Jude

Let It Be

Imagine

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Wonderful World

Just A Closer Walk

You'll Never Walk Alone (maybe too obvious)

Come Thou Fount is happier in 5/4. (Hey Daf.... choir practice tonight. I'm ready for G L O R I A. Hey! Jazz+ could put that on the list too.)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Hey Sue - I HAVE done Nettleton in 5/4! What a blast!

I think the Taize Gloria would lose most of its Chistmassy feel if you gospelled it up. But I've been wrong before. Twice I think. ;)

Originally posted by DafDuc:

Hey Sue - I HAVE done Nettleton in 5/4! What a blast!

Yeah!

I think the Taize Gloria would lose most of its Chistmassy feel if you gospelled it up.
No doubt.

I meant Gloria as in G-L-O-R-I-A (Gloria), G-L-O-R-I-A (Gloria) G-L-O-----! That one.

But I've been wrong before. Twice I think. ;)
:D
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Apparently the Tempts have already done the slow gospel Silent Night schtick - becuase we covered it last night at choir practice (my old inner-city choir - I'm sitting in with them Sunday).

Man I miss those guys (my choir I mean, though I guess I miss the Tempts a little too). Great people, great ensemble work (though always a Seat-Of-Our-Pants{TM} production), some excellent solo work... little blind Kathy just tore up Silent Night at rehearsal, and Jo the piano player (I play Hammond with these guys) OWNS Leon Roberts' "Mary's Canticle", a gospel-style Magnificat setting. I've got her coming in to my new church Saturday so she can sing it there too.

Having lost its 38-year pastor a couple weeks ago to cancer, St. Elizabeth didn't have a priest for Christmas midnight - so they're treating Sunday's mass like the midnight mass for prelude purposes, but observing Advent IV for the mass itself. So the Christmas music will only be at prelude. They'll have a Christmas day mass too, but that may just be the choir and the priest.

For those of you scratching their heads at all this - liturgical lectionary-based churches tend to steer clear of Christmas music until the evening of 12/24 (beginning of the monastic day), then sing about Christmas through Epiphany (twelfthnight), and possibly carrying over to the following week, the Feast of Baptism of our Lord (or of Circumcision, if you belong to the Mel Gibson school - ouch).

So this particular corner of the church starts singing Christmas music right when the rest of the world finishes. Some RC liturgists get real worked up about any use of Christmas music before the 25th, even concerts, etc. But in mass would be even worse, so I thought I'd mention that we're only doing it at prelude. Probably could have done so more succinctly, but I think last night's Makers Mark is still working its way through my system...

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I like the bridge section of Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up".

Yeh. Richard Tee strikes again. The outro ain't bad either. He doesn't actually play alot, but his timing is masterful.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Archived