Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When is off-topic too far?

ProfD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think KC is more than a specialized corner for most of us. I tend to think of it more and more as a universal lounge for people that become friends - i got this feeling with my OT thread "i'm getting married next week". I really felt like havings so many friends. After all music is an expression of friendship and other positive (and negative) feelings. Let's keep it as it is
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

As at least one of the parties responsible for side-tracking Michael Gallant's Doors thread, I'm perfectly happy to apologize if I offended or annoyed Michael in any respect. I have only the utmost respect for the editors of The Magazine, and I certainly didn't mean to cause any problems. For what it's worth, however, I completely agree with ProfD's original post in this thread. This is a community . . . a place to hang out, share your views on a variety of music-related (and other) topics, and generally chill with people of similar interests but not necessarily total like-mindedness (and thank goodness for that!). To me, the free-flow of thoughts and ideas in a relatively unstructured, but generally polite, place is a HUGELY POSITIVE aspect of this forum. I'd hate to see that stifled in the name of "He-asked-a-question-so-answer-it" rigidity.

Noah

P.S. I also wonder whether there's a double standard at play here. On this forum, threads constantly take a variety of directions, and I suspect that the issue about the appropriateness of "going off-topic" wouldn't have even been raised if the Doors question were posed by someone other than an editor of Keyboard. And even if the question relates to something being prepared for the magazine, is it not appropriate for me (as a subscriber of the magazine) to voice my opinion that a potentially featured artist is part of a group that I don't particularly care for? That type of stuff finds its way into magazines' letters to the editor all the time. Is it so hard to imagine: "Dear Spin: How could you possibly feature a band as lame as The Killers on your cover twice in one year? Please cancel my subscription. Signed, [Not Noah, Because I Actually Like The Killers]."

My post in the Doors thread was really just a way of writing my letter to the editor prematurely!

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Soundscape, in this thread alone you already have four posts. Is this compulsive behavior on your part? ;)

5 yard penalty for stating the obvious! Repeat second down!

:wave:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Moreover, the forum is really self-policing. When someone steps over the line, usually Sven...ummm, I mean a few people let them know it long before I even see it.

Well, somebody needs to act as sheepdog to your shepherd... :cool:

http://www.svengolly.com/img/SamAndRalph250.jpg

Hiya, db! :wave:

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

While I'm here, might as well say GODDY!

:eek:

(smack)

:mad:;)

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

5 yard penalty for stating the obvious! Repeat second down!

:D

http://www.svengolly.com/img/SamAndRalph250.jpg

Hiya, db! :wave:

Whassup, Ralph...or is it Sam? I can never remember. :rolleyes:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

FWIW, there is an OT thread on the Guitar forum that is almost 100 pages. Do we need a similar dumping ground? ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

i rarely see anything offensive (well maybe some of mine)... and i feel it actually adds to the collegial atmosphere... and as far as it's appearance to the uninitiated i think it should serve to show them that we as a group are both friendly and engaged... i personally wouldn't want to have a "dumping ground "thread as the prof suggests... just wouldn't be the same thing for me... :wave::wave::wave:
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Originally posted by dementedchord:

i rarely see anything offensive (well maybe some of mine)... and i feel it actually adds to the collegial atmosphere... and as far as it's appearance to the uninitiated i think it should serve to show them that we as a group are both friendly and engaged... i personally wouldn't want to have a "dumping ground "thread as the prof suggests... just wouldn't be the same thing for me... :wave::wave::wave:

demented, I agree.

When I saw that dump on the Guitar forum, I wondered if we were due for a middle to accommodate the straight and narrow. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

She's a lot uglier than that now. Look at her "new look". :rolleyes:

She looks 20 years older than she really is... But even like that, she still looks 20 years younger than his husband. :)

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Jan-26-Mon-2004/photos/celine.jpg

She's just a model for hire that the import car people use in their booths. He's probably just someone who works at said booth.

And yes, I'm sure she does mind people checking out her butt, if she finds said person unattractive. Most women are like that. Just go to any gym and you'll find that out really quick.

Me? Cynical? ;)

Darren Landrum

Archived