Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which pop tunes do you like for solo piano casuals?

Jazz+

I want to augment my solo piano repetoire for casuals beyond the the great American Songbook. Which Billy Joel/Paul Simon type tunes work best as solo piano covers? I already cover a few pop tunes like "Your Song" by Elton, "Imagine", "Let It Be", "Hey Jude", and a large number of Joe Sample tunes.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also interested in other's comments on this.

As far as additions to the list (non-Joel or Simon): Elton's Candle in the Wind and Daniel? I also like doing a slow version of Roxanne (Sting). He did this ballad style in Live Aid.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Interesting thread, do you wan't to do them in a jazz fashion or like a pop tune, anyhow I've done a number of the below tunes both as solo tunes and with bands in a more modern jazz style.

Blackbird (beatles tune) listen to Brad Mehldaus version of it, he's done some more pop tunes by radiohead and soundgarden which I'm thinking of adding/trying out as solo piano tunes.

saving all my love for you (whitney Houston)

streetlife - the harmony is really II-V-I all over the place.

Burt Bacharach -I say a little prayer for you

this masquerade- G Benson

Suck my kiss - red hot chili peppers

You can certainly find some inspiration in Herbie Hancock's new standards for other tunes. Also, I suggest also listen to some modern tunes on radio/MTV. I think it is quite interesting to take something more current, not just dustying of some old poptunes from the 70s. Examples could be songs from

John Legends get Lifted.

Wake me up when september comes - green day.

or even

britney spears hit me baby one more time

good luck in you're search for tunes

/FZ

Here's some I do solo piano versions of:

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen / Jeff Buckley

All I Want Is You - U2

Clocks - Coldplay

The Scientist - Coldplay

Bennie and the jets - Elton

Someone saved my life tonight - Elton

Tiny Dancer - Elton

Scenes from an italian restaurant - Billy Joel

Lady Madonna - Beatles

A Day In The Life - Beatles

Long And Winding Road - Beatles

Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

Zak and Sara - Ben Folds

Brick - Ben Folds Five

Let Her Cry - Hootie and the blowfish

In the air tonight - Phil Collins

Everybody Hurts - REM

I have about 150+ solo piano songs I do, these are just some of my favourites.

Originally posted by fjzingo:

streetlife - the harmony is really II-V-I all over the place.

Here's a Joe Sample Trio version in 2006 (with Randy Crawford on vocals):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4VN-0Nk_-0

Originally posted by fjzingo:

britney spears hit me baby one more time

It's a much better written song than most people give credit for. Should work well.

I like Harpo's Blues (I Wish I Was a Willow), - Phoebe Snow.

Yeah, it's ancient, but the changes are interesting and the melody makes it a good tune for a jazz trio.

Poetry Man is nice too, but it's my second choice.

I like Vince Guaraldi tunes - A Charlie Brown Christmas. Christmas Time is Here, Linus and Lucy, O Tannenbaum, and Christmas is Coming are all excellent solo tunes. I've got a link to some early recordings I made of those on my site. It was a blast getting my six year old daughter and her friend to sing Christmas Time is Here. Cast Your Fate to the Wind is really nice too.

Ramsey Lewis'- The In Crowd is delightful. I love some of his early stuff.

I'm all over the Bacharach & David tunes from the sixties. Most of them have great melodies with lots of twists and turns.

Some early Beatles tunes have great melodies (again) and haven't been played to death - You're Gonna Lose The Girl comes to mind.

Of course, lots of James Taylor tunes go over well (Shower The People). I also play The Shaker Song, sung by Manhattan Transfer. Just yesterday I realized that David Lasley helped write the lyrics. He's a backup singer for JT and a great songwriter too.

I'm working on learning Weather Report's - A Remark You Made. That's such a haunting melody. I also play Birdland.

I learned the theme from The Tonight Show about a hundred years ago. I think they used to play it in every key imaginable. I picked a night to record it when they were in Db. That's the version I've stuck with all these years.

As a child of the fifties, I love the "Martini music" of the sixties. Jobim is a good example. Of course, the Vince Guaraldi stuff is an excellent example. I don't want to stay stuck in the sixties, but a lot of great music came out in those years.

Finally, talking about the sixties, some great, great R&B music from The Tams, The Temptations, The Drifters, does anybody remember The Intruders(?)... some of this music translates very well to solo piano gigs.

I hope this helps. I've played pop/jazz music since I was knee-high to a chicken because it goes over so well with a livingroom audience. People love to stand around the piano and sing some of these tunes.

I guess this is what makes it all worth it for me.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

In addition to the above recommendations:

Alfie, Walk On By - Bachrach

Just The Way You Are, NY State of Mind - Joel

Way We Were, Evergreen - Streisand

Fields of Gold, Fragile - Sting

Angela (Theme from "Taxi') - Bob James

Caught Up In The Rapture - Anita Baker

And I Love Her, When I'm 64 - Beatles

The Right Thing To Do, We Just Got Here - Carly Simon

You've Got A Friend - Carole King

Still Crazy After All These Years - Paul Simon

Also, I love David Foster songs like the Love Theme from St. Elmo's Fire, Love Look What You've Done To Me, After The Love Is Gone, etc. Almost anything by Jobim works (my favs are Wave, Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars). I also like any old Bread tunes from the 70's - they translate to solo piano well and are very recognizable.

Pure Imagination from Willie Wonka makes a nice jazzy tune. I like to jazz-improvise on Moon River too.

I'm proud to say that I've come up with smooth jazz versions of both Freebird and In-A-Godda-Da-Vida just to turn the tables on the jerks that inevitably ask for it.

And then there's the five songs that every solo pianist must know:

Unchained Melody

Wind Beneath My Wings

The Rose

Memory from "Cats"

New York, New York

...and don't forget the entire Great American Songbook... :)

Sail to the Moon by Radiohead (among many other RH tunes)

Help Me by Joni Mitchell

Lithium by Nirvana

Human Behaviour by Bjork

Paper Bag by Fiona Apple

Dry the Rain by The Beta Band

Say It Ain't So by Weezer

Just a few of the "pop" tunes I might play if called upon for a solo piano set. Lithium in particular actually makes for a very cool piano arrangement.

My suggestions:

Levon -- Elton John

Yellow Brick Road -- Elton John

Benny and the Jets -- Elton John

Rocket Man -- Elton John

Honky Cat -- Elton John

Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles

The Way It Is -- Bruce Hornsby & The Range

Black Magic Woman -- Carlos Santana

Think Of Laura - Christopher Cross

Easy -- Commodores

Takin' It To The Streets -- Doobie Brothers

25 or 6 to 4 -- Chicago

Allison -- Elvis Costello

Wonderful Tonight -- Eric Clapton

Layla -- Eric Clapton

100 Years -- Five For Fighting

Mexican Wine -- Fountains Of Wayne

Oh What A Night -- Four Seasons

King of Wishful Thinking -- Go West

Time Of Your Life -- Green Day

The Load Out AND Stay -- Jackson Browne

Fire And Rain -- James Taylor

Shower The People -- James Taylor

Middle -- Jimmy Eat World

Jack and Diane -- John Cougar Mellencamp

Don't Stop Believing -- Journey

Faithfully -- Journey

Lights -- Journey

Carry On My Wayward Son -- Kansas

Push -- Matchbox 20

Pink Moon -- Nick Drake

Still The One -- Orleans

Dock Of The Bay -- Otis Redding

Maybe I'm Amazed -- Paul McCartney

Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard -- Paul Simon

It Don't Come Easy -- Ringo Starr

You Can't Always Get What You Want -- Rolling Stones

Landslide -- Fleetwood Mac

The Joker -- Steve Miller

While You See A Change -- Steve Winwood

Free Fallin' -- Tom Petty

Ball and Chain -- Social Distortion

Feelin' Alright -- Joe Cocker

Knockin' On Heaven's Door -- Bob Dylan

The Stranger -- Billy Joel

Piano Man (of course) -- Billy Joel

My Life -- Billy Joel

New York State Of Mind -- Billy Joel

Allentown -- Billy Joel

She's Always A Woman -- Billy Joel

River Of Dreams -- Billy Joel

Just The Way You Are -- Billy Joel

She's Got A Way -- Billy Joel

Heaven -- Bryan Adams

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

What they said plus:

Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

A Case of You, Woodstock, Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell

Depending on the gig you might consider stuff like:

Ballade pour Adeline - Richard Clayderman

Song for Guy - Elton John

and various movie themes. There's a few tracks from Michael Nyman's "The Piano" that are tuneful enough to work. There's not much to be done to these songs though.

I'd suggest you might check out Enrico

Pieranunzi's recordings of Ennio Morricone tunes with a jazz trio (with Marc Johnson and Joey Baron, no less). Outstanding. Both The Bad Plus and Tori Amos have done piano-based versions of Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit", both worth checking out.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

The Mickey Mouse theme. Seriously, it works great reharmonized - I heard a great solo piano version of it one time on a Buddy Rich album.

the themes from the Flintstones and Sesame Street also work great in jazz settings.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Originally posted by The Pro:

Pure Imagination from Willie Wonka makes a nice jazzy tune. I like to jazz-improvise on Moon River too.

Monty Alexander does a great version of "Candy Man".

Get a book of complete Beatles songs. If your familar with their catalog, you'll have numberous great songs to chose from. You can pick them up cheap on eBay. There are two common versions of the Beatle songs. The older Hansen versions, published when the Beatles were still together, and the Hal Leonard versions. The difference in the two is Hansen overall has more accurate melody transcriptions (although there are exceptions to this where Leonard is more accurate), while Leonard is more often in the real key and has more of the guitar solos. On arragments overall, with the later songs, its a tossup, depending on the song, one or the other might have a better arrangement. But with the early songs, Hal Leonard ussually has the better arrangements. I'd get both versions, and compare them.

Archived