Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone play a cool arrangement of Deck the Halls?

daBowsa

I have to play a little background music and was hoping play/find a "jazzier" arrangment of Deck the Halls. Preferably on the mellow side.

My ability currently allows me to grab roots and chords in the LH and plink melodies with the RH. I'm not so good at taking a trad arrangement and sub'ing chords, etc.

Anyone have an arrangement? Or any advice?

Thanks!

-Ben.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's arr. one. I'll do the first 2 bars. Ok....free and slow...say 65bpm. You do the next 2 bars and pass it to another member til we're done. If you don't wanna play or don't have a notation app., "tag"a member that you know that does. There's plenty around here. Let's see how it ends up. http://www.bellmusicproductions.com/clientdownloads/dth.pdf

man...that's a pdf. kind of hard to see. I'm not sure how to make it look better on the web as a pdf. any tips?

I'll come back tomorrow and give it a shot. I'm just not set up for it, exactly. I'd have to draw some staff paper, write it out, scan it...

Of course if you wanted to send a Mac-type audio file I could just open it in GB and play along :cool:

Anyway, it's daBowsa's move. :thu:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Well, I found a Christmas fakebook at my local music store. Here's what I found, in case anyone is interested:

Deck the hall...

[: F C7/G F/A Gm/Bb | Bm7(b5) Bbdim Am7 Dm |

Fa la la...

| Dbdim F/C | G7/B C7 F :]

Don we now... Fa la la...

| C7 | F/C G/B | Am Dm | C/G G7/B C |

Troll the ancient...

| F C7/G F/A Gm/Bb | Bm7(b5) Bbdim Am7 Dm |

Fa la la...

| Bb F/A D7(#5) | G9 C7 F ||

Different tune, but for inspiration and ideas, listen to Harry Connick Jr.'s rendition of "Walking In A Winter Wonderland". It's a radically different approach to playing this trad tune than most everything else you've heard.

- Barry

For "Deck the Halls," I've been playing it lately over a 1-5-9 quasi-tumbao pattern, just over that pedal, and either obscuring or eliminating the "fa-la-la" section.

I was improvising and came up with a nice reharm of "O Come All Ye Faithful." Makes it sound more gospelly to my ears.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Thanks, bro. That's for all the lonely hearts at the holidays.

i thought maybe some of the jazz guys woulda chimed in. Maybe a stupid idea....anyway Ben, maybe on another verse, switch it up like

THIS. The rest is up to you. Have fun with it.

Linwood, the pdf didn't show up. But I pasted the link in my browser and printed the file.

Wowza - that's inspirational stuff. :thu:

I've been asked to sit in next week for the pianist of a local trio. I used to play with the drummer. AFAIC, he's one of the finest drummers I've ever had the pleasure of performing with. So, I scarfed up the offer. Do you mind if I borrow some of your ideas here?

Anyway, the gig is HERE. It looks like a pretty neat place.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hi Linwood,

I printed out your pdf score and spent a good part of the morning learning the piece. I'm not that good a reader, so it took me some time to finally get the voicings under my fingers comfortably.

I really love your use of cluster voicings to give the chords a full sound. And I found your creative use of II-V and chromatic progressions very inspiring.

Maybe you should finish the piece and publish the pdf score for us.

Thanks again for your awesome arrangement. :thu:

Hi Vicsant,

Since you seemed to enjoy this sort of stuff, I didn't wanna just walk away from your post. You're kind. Anyway, I guess maybe I should take a look at the bridge, if for no other reason just to bake this turkey, so to speak. There are so many ways to do this sort of stuff. So here\'s an idea for the bridge. Just wing the rest of it. And none of this was carved in stone, it's just one way of looking at it.

Linwood:

I'm more of a straight-ahead rock'n'roll player, so when I come across things like this, I really love to dig in... makes me look at the keys a little differently. :cool:

Just wanted to voice my appreciation for (a) your ideas on the subject, and (b) your taking the time to put the MP3's and PDF together.

Quality stuff! :thu:

Originally posted by linwood:

Hi Vicsant,

Since you seemed to enjoy this sort of stuff, I didn't wanna just walk away from your post. You're kind. Anyway, I guess maybe I should take a look at the bridge, if for no other reason just to bake this turkey, so to speak. There are so many ways to do this sort of stuff. So here\'s an idea for the bridge. Just wing the rest of it. And none of this was carved in stone, it's just one way of looking at it.

Wow, that bridge was also awesome. ;)

Once again, could you give us a pdf of that. I'd like to "study" your voicings! :love:

The ac piano was Ivory. The Yamaha. The elec. piano was Scarbee. I wrote this out kind of stiff. Mostly 1/4 notes. I figured it be easier to see. I don't know about the last bar. It works for me if I don't think about it. I like the sound sometimes, but sometimes I wanna hear the -7 under the -9 instead of that b13 I'm playing here. Almost sounds like a cluster fuck to me, if I let it. Maybe it should be more like: Bb-Ab- Cb-E-Ab (Bb) for the last chord. I couldn't help it though....hands just went there.

ps, I came back and did an edit on the pdf. http://www.bellmusicproductions.com/clientdownloads/bridge.pdf

Archived