Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SPAM: Nord Stage Compact for sale

eric

This is killing me, but I need to just put it out there. :( I dropped a subtle hint in the Garage Sale thread, but I'll be more overt here, to capture the true essence of gear SPAM.

My brand new (less than one month old) Nord Stage Compact 73 is for sale. This is the one with the waterfall keys. It has been used very lightly and moved in a full ATA flight case to only 2 gigs. Factory box, factory manual, power cord, USB cable and CD-Rom Nord software all included.

Why, you might ask? I really hate to sell this, but here it is. I bought the Stage Compact somewhat impulsively as an uber-replacement for the Electro. I'm finding that the Stage's horsepower is amazing, but yet I don't need it for my gigs. The S90 and Electro rig is everything I need and then some. So rather than prolonging this or trying to convince myself to retire the Electro, I'll offer the Stage for a killer price.

Contact me via PM if you are interested. A couple of photos are included here, but more available upon request. I'll progress to eBay by the weekend, but wanted to give the fellow KC forumites a shot at this if anyone is interested in saving some bucks on a great instrument.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/stage_1.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/stage_4.JPG

Let the fickle GAS mocking begin! :D

Regards,

Eric

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh the woe, when I get enough money someday, I'm going to buy me one of those >_>b.

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

Er, so, I'm not sure from what you've said - as to why you're keeping the Electro over the Stage? Is it a matter of the money being better spent elsewhere? Because it always seemed (on paper) that the Stage Compact was essentially an Electro + some nice things like the extra organs, more memory (and thus better acoustic pianos), and the synth section.

Originally posted by jook:

Er, so, I'm not sure from what you've said - as to why you're keeping the Electro over the Stage? Is it a matter of the money being better spent elsewhere? Because it always seemed (on paper) that the Stage Compact was essentially an Electro + some nice things like the extra organs, more memory (and thus better acoustic pianos), and the synth section.

Good question. If I don't use all the extra bells and whistles, it really is just a fancy Electro and some duplicative functionality. The money could be allocated to other toys!

Dunno Bill. I gig with more than one keyboard and one of them is a Stage 88. To me, the multitimbrality of the Stage, its tweakability, layering and splits, synth, effects and acoustic pianos make it a vastly different keyboard than the Electro. The fact that the Electro is mono timbral (except for the organ), is a deal breaker as a second keyboard in a two keyboard setup.

Nonetheless, I understand what Eric is doing. If my rig consisted of an S90 and an Electro, the Stage in that setting would be a nice improvement, but perhaps not exponentially so.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Man that's a nice thing of beauty. Wish I could take it off your hands. Can't at the moment though due in part to the fact that I've got just one more scheduled gig with the band and then that's it for me. Gonna take a break.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

My dream is an 88-weighted-key ROMpler on the bottom, with a Stage Compact on top. I too have an Electro, and there's some duplicity there, but I'm loathe to give up my Nord Lead's pitch-stick, which the Compact has.

oh.

I'm sending you a PM, Eric.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Eric,

I will buy your Stage. I will send you a check drawn on the Bank of Malawi for a sum greater than you are asking. When you receive this check, simply cash it and one of my agents (conveniently based in Spain) will contact you to tell you where to send the Stage and the excess money from the check. Thank you.

:-) :-) :-)

acctjm

Originally posted by Music*aL:

Dunno Bill. I gig with more than one keyboard and one of them is a Stage 88. To me, the multitimbrality of the Stage, its tweakability, layering and splits, synth, effects and acoustic pianos make it a vastly different keyboard than the Electro. The fact that the Electro is mono timbral (except for the organ), is a deal breaker as a second keyboard in a two keyboard setup.

Nonetheless, I understand what Eric is doing. If my rig consisted of an S90 and an Electro, the Stage in that setting would be a nice improvement, but perhaps not exponentially so.

aL

Wow - lots of interest on this item. For anyone interested in pricing, please send me a PM.

Al - you nailed my reasoning for why the S90 + Electro is plenty of rig for me. I love the "all-in-one" philosophy of the stage, but I still need a rompler for my gigs and also the weighted keyboard. I have no burning need for the Electro on steroids (but it is so darn cool). Just other ways I can occupy that gear investment at this time.

Plus, I have "ELECTRO" on my gear-mobile's license plate and the state of VA would charge me $35 extra to change it to "STAGE," if that is even available. :D

Regards,

Eric

Eric,

FWIW, the S90 or S90ES plus the Stage Compact would make a killer rig!! But, what do you do with the license plate!!!! Hmmmmmmm!!!

:idea:

Buy a new car!!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Eric,

I'm confused.....since in the past you have contemplated having a 3rd Va keyboard in your rig to handle synth parts. Now you have a second keyboard that can duplicate your electro and function as a VA. Wouldn't that be the ultimate rig you always wanted? Did the synth section of the stage not do it for you?

Originally posted by Nicky:

Eric,

I'm confused.....since in the past you have contemplated having a 3rd Va keyboard in your rig to handle synth parts. Now you have a second keyboard that can duplicate your electro and function as a VA. Wouldn't that be the ultimate rig you always wanted? Did the synth section of the stage not do it for you?

Great question. I have had so many 3rd VA and RA keyboards in my rig, it is not funny. Yet I keep falling back on the tried and true dual keyboard rig of the S90 + Electro. I have gotten to the point where I leverage my S90 so much for all the synth-type sounds I need that I really just go to the Electro (or Stage) for Hammond, clav and some EPs. I am playing Hammond so much that I don't really find myself needing the VA sounds coming from the top keyboard.

My main attraction for a 3rd VA or RA synth is to have a separate keyboard for each duty. Piano, organ and synth each there to grab as the need arises. I still love the triple-decker rig, but hard to fit on many stages.

But that's a great point and a differentiator for not selling the Stage. But I really would not tap those VA sounds very much and the rest of the extended functionality is not tapped if I use it as just an uber Electro replacement.

To answer your other question, the VA part of the Stage is actually better than I expected. It is not as fat or flexible as the Nord Leads, but pretty close in terms of tone and they did port over some nice waveforms. The unison knob is definitely killer and the ability to stack 2 synth sounds also very cool.

Regards,

Eric

Eric:

My friend, you truly AMAZE me with the purchases of SO MANY different KBs that usually don't last very long in your live setup.

Questions..... .is your company hiring and can I please have a job that pays half as much as your job does? I'd settle for half the KB's you buy. Or possibly you need an assistant that can do all your computer and paperwork, so you can spend more time using all the KB's you buy, so you wouldn't have to buy so many new ones? :D:eek::confused:

You now qualify to be a regular columnist with Keyboard magazine. Mfg's don't have to send you a test unit, you already have one. ;)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Eric:

My friend, you truly AMAZE me with the purchases of SO MANY different KBs that usually don't last very long in your live setup.

Questions..... .is your company hiring and can I please have a job that pays half as much as your job does? I'd settle for half the KB's you buy. Or possibly you need an assistant that can do all your computer and paperwork, so you can spend more time using all the KB's you buy, so you wouldn't have to buy so many new ones? :D:eek::confused:

You now qualify to be a regular columnist with Keyboard magazine. Mfg's don't have to send you a test unit, you already have one. ;)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Ha Ha! :D Thanks for noticing, Mike! Actually, there are a number of people that are FAR WORSE than me in terms of the GAS and cycling through gear. On this forum. But that is probably one reason we are all here, to revel in music and gear.

As for my own habits of buying, I guess I have not learned my lesson that once I have a rig that works, I need to just stop lusting after new things. But it keeps on happening. I even stopped by GC yesterday to try out a few things I've kind of watched from afar. No new purchases to report. :confused::cool:

That is all.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

I even stopped by GC yesterday to try out a few things I've kind of watched from afar.

As long as I stayed away from the GD music store and this forum, I was content. ;)

Now, I'm having a fire sale and stuck somewhere between a Motif ES8, S90ES and NAMM i.e. an Eric Moment. :P:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Quote by Eric:

----------------------------

Ha Ha! Thanks for noticing, Mike! Actually, there are a number of people that are FAR WORSE than me in terms of the GAS and cycling through gear. On this forum. But that is probably one reason we are all here, to revel in music and gear.

----------------------------

I don't think ANYONE on this buys more gear than you do, on this forum anyway. That would be impossible. Ha Ha! Enjoy Bro.....

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by TinderArts:

Does the pitch stick work on the clav sounds?

Only if you want it to work. That is an assignable parameter for each 'engine' in the Stage. You can use pitch stick on the organs, pianos and synths.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

Yet I keep falling back on the tried and true dual keyboard rig of the S90 + Electro. I have gotten to the point where I leverage my S90 so much for all the synth-type sounds I need that I really just go to the Electro (or Stage) for Hammond, clav and some EPs.

You know Eric, I've been following your gear exploits for some time, and I will tell you something in hopes that it offers some comfort.

First off, I have to state up front that I avoid switching gear out: I am not exactly a luddite, but "find the thing that works and stick with it!" seems to be my philosophy to the point where I have to see I am significantly disadvantaged by my existing rig when compared to developments in new technology. Up until 4 years ago my main ROMPler was ... ulp ... a Roland U-20!!!! (yes, I know that's gross)

OK, so why am I saying this? So you can take what I am going to say with the appropriate number of salt grains: When I was shopping for a ROMpler, I found, for my purposes, the Yamaha S90 and Kurzweil PC2 were essentially interchangeable. It basically came down to price/purchasing opportunity, and I found a very gently used Kurz, so that made my decision.

Next up, find a keyboard with some gritty character. Based on the music I was playing, the Electro seemed the best fit over an analog-ish synth, because I needed the organ and EPs.

In the end, I am very happy with my rig! I know I play different music than you do, but I even use the Electro to control separate Kurzweil timbres than what I'm using actively on the Kurz itself, with splits, layers, what have you on the Kurz. So much sound possibilities ... I don't feel I need anything else. I tried using 3 keyboards, but man, setup and other hassles seemed to grow exponentially. I don't want to be an engineer, I want to play music...

Maybe can't really be considered a "power user" comparitively. Still, with a great controller (which the S90 certainly seems to be!) as the bottom keyboard and MIDI, plus the inherent strengths and contrast of each board, your working rig sounds like a great solution to me!

Cheers,

gg

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by geekgurl:

Up until 4 years ago my main ROMPler was ... ulp ... a Roland U-20!!!! (yes, I know that's gross)

Actually, it just happens that I was checking out sound clips of the related U-220 module today while browsing synthmania.com, and I was surprised at just how good it sounds in them.

e.g., http://www.synthmania.com/Synthesizers/Roland/U-220/Audio/Factory%20Patches/45%20Future%20Pad.mp3

Archived