Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

rack ventilation?

dalpozlead

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most modern digital synths don't give off much heat. If you have a power amp in the rack that can be an issue. The Receptor puts out a lot of heat. Many vintage analog synths had heat issues. I don't know if that's much of an issue with the new versions.

If you can get some ventalation going (back, front, top) that helps a lot and you can always use fans.

Busch.

No worries, dalpozlead.

Compressors, EQ units, and reverb/effects units don't draw much current. They usually don't heat up too much and can be stacked one on top of the other without a space between.

Amplifiers usually have fans that draw cool air from the back and push it out the front. Some ventilation may be needed there, but it depends on the amp.

Sound modules usually don't heat up too much.

Furman power conditioners used to use incandescent bulbs, but now use LEDs. They run pretty cool.

One thing to keep in mind though. Unless you've got a roadie or your rack is on casters, instead of buying one large rack, try two smaller racks and save your back.

My old Anvil cases are eight-spaces each. That's about as big as I want to carry. If I had to do it again, I'd probably purchase four or six-space racks instead.

Plus, if you can get away with it, buy racks that have less depth. These are usually meant to hold effects devices that are shallow anyway.

In the end, the less weight you have to haul around to each gig, the more you'll enjoy performing.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

My old Anvil cases are eight-spaces each. That's about as big as I want to carry. If I had to do it again, I'd probably purchase four or six-space racks instead.

Yeah, I'm looking at some Road Ready cases. The 6RU is 8 lbs lighter than the 8RU. Not huge, but it could just be the straw that...

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Most modern digital synths don't give off much heat. If you have a power amp in the rack that can be an issue. The Receptor puts out a lot of heat. Many vintage analog synths had heat issues. I don't know if that's much of an issue with the new versions.

If you can get some ventalation going (back, front, top) that helps a lot and you can always use fans.

Busch.

I agree. I used fans when I used a rack but someone else told me they don't give off much heat and/or don't use a whole of current. I stopped using a fan and never had issues. I don't use a rack anymore but while I did never had any issues or worries about this.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

You can easily see just how much heat is put out per unit by looking at the watts information. If that information is not shown on the unit itself, the owner's manual will give it. Most equipment that runs hot (amplifiers) will usually have a fan or will explicitly state for you to leave space above or below it.

If you're going to buy a rack case, consider ordering yours with rack rails in the front and the back. Very often you can 'hide' equipment you don't need to look at and keep the more important equipment on the front side.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by learjeff:

Put the units that run hottest at the top (leaving any gap above them).

That's easy to say, but not as easy to do for a heavy amplifier - unless you mount it with rear rails. Most racks do not come with rear rails.

I put my (old) amp on the bottom space (it weighs at least 1,000 pounds) :rolleyes: , yet left at least two spaces or more above it for ventilation in my 8-space rack. The unit above the amp was an Alesis 3630 compressor. If it got really hot from sitting over the amp, it's no great loss. :rolleyes:;)

Learjeff, BluesKeys wants to buy us a holiday brewski. cnegrad wants to buy us another one because ...you can't fly on one wing. ;) Pick a day.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I currently have three four-space racks for stage, and yes indeed... life's much easier than when I had it all in a 12 space.

Some power amps inhale (my Yamaha) amd some exhale (my QSC). They need to be separated so that hot air doesn't just recirculate between them. Other than that I've had no rack heating problems.

ITGITC,

Have you thought of trading up to one of those very light weight amps? Crown and QSC make models that are very light weight though very powerful.

As I stated many times, I just buy an amp for its output and more importantly, its weight (as any well designed amp is colorless). For $700 (or less) you can buy the QSC PLX1804 (13 lbs.) or the Crown XTi 2000 (17 lbs.) - both units put around 500 wpc into 8 ohms.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Between powered speakers and keyboards with every sound you could ever want onboard, racks are not loaded with heavy, heat seeking devices.

I surely do not miss the 12 space rack including a Crown DC300. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

ITGITC,

Have you thought of trading up to one of those very light weight amps?

Dave, don't you remember? I bought a PLX 1804 a few weeks ago. I wrote you and told you how much I liked it. You asked me about the Speak-on connectors and their wiring.

I love the amp.

It's got a fan that I'm not crazy about when I use the amp in my studio. But it's really a bargain - 600 clean watts into 8 ohms at 13 pounds.

And I'm sure that it makes those Bose you're using sound great, right?

Take care Dave.

Tom

Originally posted by ProfD:

Between powered speakers and keyboards with every sound you could ever want onboard, racks are not loaded with heavy, heat seeking devices.

I surely do not miss the 12 space rack including a Crown DC300. :cool:

When I was on the road we has a rack with a Yamaha 2201, 2-Crown DC300A, and a Crown D150. It had four handles, because it took all four of us to lift it.

Now I have one 8-space rack with my Crown XLS402, a compressor, a multieffects unit, and a Furman. I've got space left over, but have no desire to put anything there. It's heavy enough as it is.

The Crown pulls the air from the front. Even at our loudest, I've never felt it get even warm to the touch.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

ITGITC,

Have you thought of trading up to one of those very light weight amps?

Dave, don't you remember? I bought a PLX 1804 a few weeks ago. I wrote you and told you how much I liked it. You asked me about the Speak-on connectors and their wiring.

I love the amp.

It's got a fan that I'm not crazy about when I use the amp in my studio. But it's really a bargain - 600 clean watts into 8 ohms at 13 pounds.

And I'm sure that it makes those Bose you're using sound great, right?

Take care Dave.

Tom

Tom, I really don't have a memory problem. You mentioned something about a 1000 pound amp in this thread and I thought, oh, maybe it was someone else. (You did write about your old amp - but that went right by me.)

Most of the time here I just respond to the 'text' and not to the 'person'. I also write many e-mails in general and not just here so I rely on saved messages for my .... memory.

Most of the time here I just respond to the 'text' and not to the 'person'. I also write many e-mails in general and not just here so I rely on saved messages for my .... memory.

Dave, no worries. :)

Heck, I save everything. One reason is because I'm sentimental. The other is that I just know that if I throw it away, I'll need it the next day. :rolleyes:

I guess you don't celebrate Thanksgiving in The Netherlands on Thursday, but here's to ya nonetheless. :thu:

Tom

I guess you don't celebrate Thanksgiving in The Netherlands on Thursday, but here's to ya nonetheless. :thu:
Thanks! We don't do Thanksgiving but the Dutch have extra days for Christmas and Easter.

Tomorrow is the national elections in the Netherlands. (I just edited this post. My wife told me that the elections were Thursday but I now see from _her_ voting pass that it's tomorrow. If you're Dutch, vote tomorrow ... vote early and frequently.)

Archived