Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light My Fire - Key

burningbusch

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cnegrad:

I like beer! :D

As a beer snob I agree.

OT... Which Blood Sweat and Tears is the favorite? The one Al Cooper envisioned and created for the first album? The blues band with a kick ass horn section? He had worked with Paul Butterfield and wanted to take it a step further.

Or the Horn band that pumped out all the hits that no doubt were fun and memorable tunes after they booted Al, the founding member?

Maybe this should be a poll.

I was never a fan of the Doors but they do lay a fabric into our lives or at least those of us from the 60's and 70's. They were a back drop for the drug culture and all the bands that fit that era. They certainly had an impact on the public and if it was simple music, well then, so be it.

I read somewhere that all musicians have the same notes to deal with and play. The difference between the wanna be's and the real players is the space they leave between the notes. Sounds to me like simple is better? KISS method works for me.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by gangsu:

Bananas make me nervous. :o:D

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Do sheep like beer and bananas? :wave:

OK. I get it.

A house doesn't have to fall on me.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Great thread. Im not going to get into the like it/dont like it arguement im just going to explain a few reasons why I love the doors....

Saturday night I played in a blues bar in Kilkenny to around 300 people. With this band I do two doors numbers, the first was "riders on the storm". I had the entire bar at my fingertips, a 10 minute rhodes solo to myself and rapterous applause at the end. When we played the opening bars of "break on through" the place errupted into a dancing and jumping frenzy, I could even see the owner of the bar going mad behind the counter!! A lot of the popular doors songs were simple, easy to get and had a grab you by the balls and pay attention feel to them, they're just good blues rock songs in my opinion and even people not deeply into music can recognise them.

Ive also just finished "light my fire" Ray Manzereks book about the doors and their experiances. Jim was a drug/drink fuelled madman that lost his life to drink in the end but came out with some great poetic takes on life and a 60s inspired desire to be free, not succomb to the irrelevance in the scale of things of every day life and I think their music meant a lot to a lot of people at the time and still today.

Great band, some great mainstream blues rock songs and a huge collection of unknown besides and album tracks that never got airplay but are classics in my book. Love street, spanish caravan, moonlight drive and many more. I think they were one of the first real prog bands as well...

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

Everyone can have their opinions, but, my overwhelming experience is....break out a Doors tune at a bar....get a great response.

There is WAY more to music than structure, voicings, etc. There is power, emotion, danceability, etc. For those who cannot see beyond the numbers or, stated otherwise, cannot see the forest through the trees, I feel sorry for you, for you are missing out on one of the most amazing aspects of the musical journey.

Some music, although perhaps not the most technically challenging or interesting, can evoke an incredible response in the listener. That alone is invaluable and often properly overshadows the technical simplicity of the song.

Originally posted by garrafon:

There is WAY more to music than structure, voicings, etc.

Even if it's simple, it relates to that, right? (i.e., they probably follow "the rules" to a large existent.)

Most good but apparently "simple" songs have all sorts of tricks in them which pull out the magic from well-worn structures. Sometimes it's just down to the placement or sudden "surprise" element... but the surprise could just be a diatonic chord that hasn't been "met" before.

Originally posted by garrafon:

There is power, emotion, danceability, etc. For those who cannot see beyond the numbers or, stated otherwise, cannot see the forest through the trees, I feel sorry for you, for you are missing out on one of the most amazing aspects of the musical journey.

:thu: +1000.

I might have even liked the Doors for a few minutes during my teenage years. I grew up ... and so did my taste in music. (Believe me, I played a lot of shit in my youth. It's nice now not having to play anything I don't want to play.)

I'm sure if that music has any worth we'll hear a CD of those tunes by Diana Krall, Jamie Cullum, et al.

As far as I know, the piano greats (I know this is a Keyboard magazine and not a Piano magazine) have not made any tribute albums of the Doors.

Look, if you like that music, fine. If the crowd you play for likes that music, fine. Just don't tell me that it's well constructed. It's really cheap music. The lyrics are bad, the harmonies are mediocre ... but it has a good beat, I'll give it 8 and half Dick. :wave:

Shouldn't we be setting our sights just a tad higher, guys? Is mediocre music from the 1960's really worth three pages of posts?

(I did try to find Jim Morrison's grave while in Paris recently. I did not find his grave but I did locate the final resting place of Camille Saint-Saëns. She was a fine keyboard player - organ and piano ... a little before Morrison's time however. :D )

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I might have even liked the Doors for a few minutes during my teenage years. I grew up ... and so did my taste in music. (Believe me, I played a lot of shit in my youth. It's nice now not having to play anything I don't want to play.)

I'm sure if that music has any worth we'll hear a CD of those tunes by Diana Krall, Jamie Cullum, et al.

If we grow up, we might listen to a player who (presumably) plays in a similar style to Dave...?

I'll be one to say that The Doors music is worth more than others.

Not the most complex music in the world, but as a group, very very good. Riders On The Storm, Light My Fire, LA Woman, Break On Through, Love Me Two Times -- all those songs with cool keyboard. Man I LOVE it!

My just newly former band played Riders On The Storm and LA Woman. Great songs.

Check out me on keyboard playing Riders On The Storm with the band here - http://www.putfile.com/stepay/media

Note that it's a live version, so I hit a couple clams, but overall a pretty good recording I think.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by soundscape:

If we grow up, we might listen to a player who (presumably) plays in a similar style to Dave...?
I know I've improved. If at 56 I were still playing the music of the Doors in clubs, I would be living that quote from Dick Cavette ... setting one's sights low and missing.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Look, if you like that music, fine. If the crowd you play for likes that music, fine. Just don't tell me that it's well constructed. It's really cheap music. The lyrics are bad, the harmonies are mediocre ... but it has a good beat, I'll give it 8 and half Dick. :wave:

Sorry Dave.

Great rock and roll doesn't have to be well constructed, well produced, have great lyrics, harmonies, and structure.

Ain't that a bitch? :rolleyes::D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

You need a hook that people sing in the shower.

This is true.

I just posted about the Dire Straits song.

Now I can't get the damn thing outta my head. :rolleyes:

"I Want My MTV" ...That's a great hook.

dammit :mad:;)

I did not find his grave but I did locate the final resting place of Camille Saint-Saëns. She was a fine keyboard player - organ and piano ... a little before Morrison's time however. :D )

Saint-Saëns wasn't a she, as you can see on this picture.

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~san/saint-saens.jpg

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Sorry Dave.

Great rock and roll doesn't have to be well constructed, well produced, have great lyrics, harmonies, and structure.

Ain't that a bitch? :rolleyes::D

Got another one in agreement with this. Some rock and roll songs are just magic, and if you tried to decipher why, you'd be stuck. The Doors had that magic.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

You need a hook that people sing in the shower.

This is true.

I just posted about the Dire Staits song.

Now I can't get the damn thing outta my head. :rolleyes:

"I Want My MTV" ...That's a great hook.

dammit :mad:;)

:D

You got it... and I can hear that song instantly, from the that guitar riff (hook) through to "I want my MTV" (hook)... even though I haven't heard it in a while.

Originally posted by J_tour:

Camille Saint-Saëns [...] She was a fine keyboard player - organ and piano

She? Really?
http://bcev.nfrance.com/SaintSaens/Saint_Saens_2.jpg

:)

Sorry Dave.

Oh, now I get it. We have lowered expectations for some kinds of music. Why didn't you just say that. We can shut down a good portion of our brain to make the experience more ... acceptable.

On the other hand, Billy Joel has written many first rate rock and roll tunes - excellent lyrics (stories actually), well constructed tunes with harmonies that actually make sense. (I happen to know that Oscar Peterson was one of his idols growing up. Could that help to explain why Joel's standards seem to be much higher than The Doors?)

Archived