Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage Sound

GREGHUX

I gig fairly regularly but have never really been happy with my stage sound. I want to upgrade my AMP and possibly speakers but not sure what to buy. As far as keyboards go, I use a Yamaha P150 for piano and SY85 for organ sounds. I lug an old Yamaha powered desk around at the moment to drive some Carvin PA speakers and was thinking of upgrading the desk to a Yamaha EMX312 but was dissapponted recently - I actually purchased one and returned it - to get the volume I required meant turning up the channel quite high and since their is no independent gain control, ended up quite noisy for the volume I needed.

So what do others use or recommend?

Greg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Greg :wave:

Did you check out the first 3 sticky threads, top of page 1? ;)

Have you considered running stereo keyboard amps, powered PA speakers, a rackmount mixer, etc.?

There are several possibilities for upgrading your speaker system.

Do a search on threads here as your situation is not uncommon.

Come back with more specific questions and we will help ya.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

No I didn't - but I will. Tried a search for 'stage sound' but didn't come up with much (and I'm at work so a bit slack on the searching I'm afraid). Will check out your sticky's.

Yes I'd considered powered speakers, but I already have some decent passive ones so am a bit reluctant.

Well, if you want to stick with the passive speakers, consider a separate power amp and the rackmount mixer.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

ProfD,

Try using a BBE 362 or the like at the end of an effect chain right before the speakers. Really! There 99 bucks!

If you do, don't put the treble/bass controls past 12 o'clock. You may want to keep the treble control at like 11 o'clock.

It makes a difference!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

LB, I'm hip to the BBE and do recommend it when cats need an outboard processor.

It would certainly work out along with the power amp and rackmount mixer. Definitely $99 well spent! :cool:

PD

greqhux,

As ProfD and I said the BBE. That coupled with a good stereo 15 band EQ really does it for me....

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Originally posted by Legatoboy:

"Try using a BBE 362 or the like at the end of an effect chain right before the speakers. Really! Their 99 bucks!

It makes a difference!"

I've used one with guitar in the past but how would you characterize the difference it makes in a digital keyboard rig? Is anybody else using one of these? Thanks.

Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Originally posted by lowerhodes:

I've used one with guitar in the past but how would you characterize the difference it makes in a digital keyboard rig? Is anybody else using one of these? Thanks.

The BBE gives a keyboard more presence by boosting certain frequencies in the highs and lows.

It is an EQ effect but switched in/out, you can hear the difference.

PD

Yamaha EMX5000 plus a pair of JBL JRX112M wedges works great for me. I think they discontinued the EMD5000, though, so if you're interested better snap one up quickly. The replacement has nice features like one-knob comp/limiter on each channel, better DSPs for FX, and a built-in feedback eliminator -- great features for a typical PA but stuff I have no use for in a kb rig. And it costs $400 more. :(

Learjeff - I've seen a number of your posts and your rig description is 'close' to what I had in mind. I may consider the Yamaha EMX512 which is relatively cheap here (Australia). I have a lot of faith in Yamaha gear - and they have a 5 year warranty.

http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/proaudio/poweredmixers/emx/default.asp)

I tried the EMX312 but the preset gain meant that the volume was dissappointing unless I turned up the channel level control significantly - which resulted in too much background noise. I assume the EMX5000 has proper gain control on each input?

What keys do you play / sounds? Digital piano is most impostant to me, followed by (simulated) Rhodes and (simulated) Hammond/leslie.

Greg

• 2 months later...

Time to breath some life into this thread!

Still looking for a system for stage. Now I have an opportuniuty to pick up a JBL Eon 15 Gen 2 powered speaker quite cheap (secondhand but in excellent condition). I've seen a lot of +ve stuff on this site about the speaker. My main requirement is that I get a great piano sound on stage. And I'd like it to be stereo, so I may need to buy another one of these. In some other post, the 10" version was used in someone's rig. So are the 15" Eon's a good way to go? What about the 10" types? And how do these stack up against other powered speakers such as the Yamaha MSR400s (which are considerably cheaper in Australia).

BTW: My main keyboard is a Yamaha P150 for piano.

Second try here. I just somehow deleted everything I wrote.

take two

I just picked up 2 EON G2 15" use. I have had two very different gigs with two very different bands.

My Thought's

The EON's are great for my RD700 piano. It has never sounded better, or richer and it certainly cuts, yet stays in the mix well. The EP's on it I am still tweaking which is to say I have never been a huge fan of them anyway but now I am starting over trying to get the sound I like. My Motif6 sounds great on Horns, Synth, and Strings but again the EP's are suspect. I am most concerned with my VK8m organ module. I have only played 2 gigs and have not had the chance to really work on it but I find the organ TOO CLEAN. I have been trying things like adding overdrive and leakage to my settings and I think with some time I will find the right balance. But it means either resetting my presets or tweaking on the fly. Last night I had the leakage way up on one lead and my guitar player gave me a look like "is something wrong with your rig?" I guess I went overboard that time.

I have not had time to work with this set up and have a two week break in gigs. I plan on setting up this rig and working out the details. I also plan on A/B ing the EON's and my KC500/KC300 rig.

If I get that far I will make notes and post them here.

Overall I like the G2's even though they and another trip to my already cumbersome load in/out. I found the EON's warm and the Mackie's to be two bright, but that is just my 2c worth.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Well I just purchased myself a second hand EON15 G2 (looks new) and so far it checks out OK. In fact it certainly is the best sounding speaker I've ever had for this application. I'll be looking out for another 'cos in my opinion, stereo is important.

On thing I did notice is this. There is a TINY amount of 50Hz hum (in the USA it would be 60Hz). Anyway, being a second hand unit I'm very cautious (and it did come with a warranty). Those of you who have these, can you confirm this is normal? Like I said, its not much - certainly would not notice it in a live situation. And the hum is obviously associtated with the power amp, not the built in mixer, cause its level is independent of the preamp/mixer volume control (stays at this level whether the volume controls are at their lowest or highest levels). Like I said the hum (and some hiss coming from the horn) it at a VERY low level. I need to be within about a foot of the speaker to hear it.

Archived