Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone moved enough by the roto-speakers shootout...

DafDuc

...in the new KM issue to actually go buy one?

I had no idea the Pro-145 was only 65 lbs. Sorely tempted, I am. Sorely.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the SE Roadbox III back in the Spring and while I used it a lot in the summer for some festival-type shows, I have not been carrying it gigs hardly at all for the past few months. It sounds great, but it is still big and heavy for frequent gigging. Someone could probably talk me into selling it for a serious bargain if I did not need to ship it. But I would like to try and hold onto it for those special gigs.

Regards,

Eric

Good article, but was hoping they would line-up the KBR3-D as well (which I use) .. but they probably reviewed that in some previous issues - I am thinking of going dedicated rotary and dedicated regular amp (all this goes to FOH in stereo anyway) - I think Hammond missed a bit by not putting internal mics for PA considerations in the new 3300 like MS does - The speakeasy Road Box looks way cool, but the 90+ lbs has me second thinking LOL !!

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I mostly just use the top (rotating) half of my Leslie 21 (the 2101, I guess). Easy to carry, not heavy, sounds great, and in a band, the missing bottom end is not noticed (and I can get it back via a direct feed to the PA, I mic the horn).

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

I'm glad to see the Leslie 3300 is fairly compact. It's only 7" taller than the Speakeasy, but the other dimensions are the same (though it's 25 bls heavier). I suspect the Leslie will sonically mate to the the XK-3 very nicely. Booker T liked it.

Busch.

At this point, I'm torn between a 122A and the Pro-145. The 122A looks a lot more solid, but weighs twice as much. My floor is already sinking a little. Hmm... maybe a wall mount...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I was a little disappointed that the article didn't draw any more conclusions than it did. As far as buying one, I'm kind of in Eric's camp... I'm on the move too much to use one more than a few times a year.

Sorry to say, but I was disappointed in the article, after being really excited when I saw the article listed on the cover. It felt like a superficial review of the topic, more oriented towards beginners. I'd agree with Hazerkeys and Bill H on this one.

At the risk of a bad pun (and unfortunate visual)...the article did not ignite any GAS.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

I remember that when KB did the last B3 shootout they reviewed some of the leslie options like the 771 and Motion Sound's twin rotor unit. They also mentioned that Roger Smith (one of the reviewers and Tower of Power's keyboardist) was using the B3p and twin leslie 2101/2121 units and promised to review this system "soon." Bored with waiting, I went and bought a 21 system and like it but was always curious to see what the KB folks thought of it and maybe could pick up a few tweaks and tricks from the article. Along comes the rotary review and only the top unit is even mentioned and Booker T says he likes the midrange of the 3300 better. Sigh.

Archived