Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Richie Beirach

Calumet

I used to study with Richie Beirach (whom I consider one of the great underrated jazz pianists) but haven't talked to him in a long time. He really has no web presence and it doesn't appear that he has any new recordings.

Does anyone have any recent info on Richie? I would love to get in touch with him again or, at the very least, find out how he is doing.

For those of you not familiar with him, he was Dave Liebman's main collaborator in the 70's and 80's, playing piano in Leib's group "Quest". He also was a member of quartets with Stan Getz, John Abercrombie and John Scofield.

In my opinion, his greatest record is "Elegy For Bill Evans". To my ears, this ablum is the best example of Beirach's unique sound. Burning and amazingly beautiful at the same time. I think its only available as an import, but it is worth the extra money.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Richie Beirach used to contribute to the very magazine attached to this fine forum.

Maybe one of the Keyboard principals will be able to shed some light on his whereabouts.

I haven't heard about him in years.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ahh, Richie Beirach. I agree that he's been very under-rated. I always loved his playing. But I too haven't heard anything about him in a long time, but I know he's still playing.

No web presence? He has a website . Did you try that? Look under the "tour" link, and there's a contact link at the bottom of the page.

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

No web presence? He has a website . Did you try that? Look under the "tour" link, and there's a contact link at the bottom of the page.

God, I am an idiot. :rolleyes: Guess I hadn't checked too recently.

Thanks!

Mitch

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

I actually saw him play once. I'm a guitarist, not a piano player, but always enjoyed his playing.

He was playing solo and did some standards and a couple of his own, like ELM, and even a couple of classical pieces. With great musicality and expression and imagination... a lot of Bill Evans in him but he was no clone! I was never bored. Technique? Well, he certainly sounded like he played well to me, but I'm no expert on piano technique!

Archived