Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes & Wurlitzer Plug-In Combines Sampling & Modeling

Geoff Grace

I mentioned this in the AES thread , but no one seemed interested. Frankly, I'm surprised. I would have thought that a lot of folks here would be interested in a Rhodes and Wurlitzer plug-in that combines sampling and modeling technologies. Maybe this thread will attract a little more attention. ;)

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Velvet Delivers Vintage Electric Pianos to Pro Tools

I'm guessing few of you followed the link above, because this plug-in only works with Pro Tools.

Even so, the following may be of interest:

Originally posted by Digidesign:

Dynamic Modeling

Most virtual instruments use either a sampling technique (every note is real) or a modeling technique (the behavior is more realistic) to emulate sounds and maintain performance efficiency. Velvet employs proprietary dynamic modeling, a unique combination of optimized sampling and modeling techniques, allowing it to achieve incredibly accurate recreations of classic electric piano sounds with superior playing feel and dynamic response. You can even pull off sounds youd normally only hear when playing the real instrument, from the faintness of the lightest pianissimo to the note splat of the strongest fortissimo.

Hint: if you click here and the java script links, you can learn more and watch a video demo of the plug-in in action.

Thoughts anyone?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice - any idea how much? I don't have a PT rig and I aleady have all 3 versions of LL and Mr. Ray and just ordered Scarbee KGB at half-price so I'm good. But it was very nice!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Originally posted by midinut:

Nice - any idea how much?

$249

Oops! I see Busch started a dedicated thread at almost the same moment I first posted about Velvet in the AES thread. Sorry for starting this redundant topic. :o

Originally posted by Steve Nathan:

Geoff,

The sounds in the video all have an abundance of high freq fizz. Is that for real, or just a problem with the audio in their video?

I'm not sure I'm hearing what you're hearing, Steve. I'm noticing some mild artifacts occasionally, but nothing dramatic. I'm certain we're not getting uncompressed 24 bit sound from this video though. It's probably best to audition the plug-in live and judge from that experience.

Best,

Geoff

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

I could not find any demo sounds or video. What a confusing website.

Moe, click here , then follow the Media link, then click on Introducing Velvet - Accelerated Video to watch the video or on Velvet audio examples to listen to any of the twenty MP3 demos.

Steve, do you hear the 'high freq fizz' on any of the MP3s?

Best,

Geoff

I've got Velvet on order. It's schedule to ship at the end of the month. $249.

Digi has made some excellent acquisitions in the last few years. M-Audio, Wizoo and most recently Sibelius. They acquired the Wizoo group (now known as A.I.R) less than a year ago and they've already released four plugins.

The guy playing keys in the video, David Lebolt, heads up Digidesign.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I've got Velvet on order. It's schedule to ship at the end of the month. $249.

Busch, I thought you'd be among the first to try Velvet. I look forward to reading your impressions. :thu:

Digi has made some excellent acquisitions in the last few years.

Agreed. I'm eager to see what they do with Sibelius.

They acquired the Wizoo group (now known as A.I.R) less than a year ago and they've already released four plugins.

Yeah, good stuff X-Form and Strike certainly grabbed my interest.

Best,

Geoff

Steve, do you hear the 'high freq fizz' on any of the MP3s?

I didn't see the mp3s until now. The fizz I heard is only on the video. The mp3s sound much better. Still not sure about the wurly, but the various Rhodes type sounds (can we still say Rhodes without being sued?) are pretty impressive.

As I do not own and cannot currently afford a Pro Tools setup, I skip all threads that start out with "...Pro Tools ONLY plug-in...", and I suspect many others do as well.

I was disappointed when the Bomb Factory stuff became unavailable to the rest of us.

The rest of this thread is very confusing -- is this a Pro Tools ONLY plug-in or not?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Velvet is an RTAS plug-in which means it runs on both high-end (HD) and low-end (LE and M-Box) Pro Tools systems and only on those systems.

However, its combination of sampling and modeling technologies would be of interest to me even if I couldn't use this particular plug-in because I've long felt this was a very promising way to achieve both realistic sound and expression. If this product helps to usher in a new age, it will be of benefit to us all.

Best,

Geoff

Archived