Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone get usable organ sounds out of their ALESIS QS synth?

shniggens

I've been accused of having cheesy organ sounds, and it's true. :(

Anyone have any luck getting usable organ sounds of their Alesis QS?

Not looking to get an exact replica of a real hammond or anything, but just something adequate.

Please help!

:wave:

Amateur Hack

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by shniggens:

I've been accused of having cheesy organ sounds, and it's true. :(

Anyone have any luck getting usable organ sounds of their Alesis QS?

Not looking to get an exact replica of a real hammond or anything, but just something adequate.

Please help!

:wave:

I have never liked the organ sounds on my QS8. I use a VK8 as a top board and MIDI my QS8 as a second manual through to that. However given that, I have never tried to tweek them.

I always thought the QS had some reasonable tones - Keith's C3 patch is ok, there's a jazz organ patch that I used. American Organ is workable.

Its true, the top end is a bit screetchy and the leslie isn't great, but it sits ok in a mix.

If you're really concerned, there's Vintage Keys QCard that has some extra organ patches, and maybe you'd want to consider an external leslie sim, like the tube-based H&K Rotosphere?

+1 on the Vintage Keys card. There are more organs, and nicely done, especially if you run it through a good leslie sim/real rotary speaker. BTW, this was recommended by Erik Norlander also. Gave it a try, it works, they really come to life.

Jay

If you depend heavily on the QS for your sounds, you really should get both the Vintage Keys and Vintage Synths, as they really add a lot to the sound, IMHO...

So, +1 of the vintage keys as well.... they are a reasonable set-up from the stock samples.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by shniggens:

What about for the heavier stuff - Deep Purple and the like.

Try the PurpleB patch. It is a great Jon Lord sound. I used it for all my Deep Purple tunes and it rocked.

My QS6.1 came standard with those sounds.

Don't know why you need the QCard.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

For Deep Purple stuff, maybe you could route the audio out through a distortion/overdrive pedal?

A tube-driven one would be nice, as they have a nice warm tone and don't sound harsh like digitals often do.

While this solution may invovle the purchase of some new gear, since when has that ever been a bad thing? :D

Hi all,

The QS keyboards are now 10 years old, and the organs on their own likely don't quite hold up against the excellent current "clonewheels" like the Korg CX-3, Roland VK-8(m) and NI B4. I say "on their own" because with some outboard processing, you can get the QS organs to sound very, very good. The ultimate outboard processing is real Leslie speaker; the next best thing IMO is the Motion Sound gear. After that, any good overdrive and leslie simulator will help. Even old stuff like the Dynacord 222.

As far as the QS sounds themselves, there are individual drawbar samples in there as well as drawbar combinations (the first three draws, the first 4 draws, etc.), and with 4 oscillators per voice, you can customize a specific organ tone pretty easily.

For Jon Lord Deep Purple tones, don't use a Leslie or Leslie simulator and bypass the QS rotary effect -- instead, start with a cleaner, more pure organ tone, and generally one that uses only the first 3 or 4 drawbars. Then run that through a good tube amp or tube amp simulator and crank the living hell out of the gain.

My $0.02,

Erik

Originally posted by jay da cop:

+1 on the Vintage Keys card. There are more organs, and nicely done, especially if you run it through a good leslie sim/real rotary speaker. BTW, this was recommended by Erik Norlander also. Gave it a try, it works, they really come to life.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Oops ... looks like I just repeated myself with my post above. Oh well, hope it helps!

Cheers,

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

The best Hammond sound in my QS8, for what I play, is Ballad B, for that Al Green/gospel vibe. I programmed a patch with similar drawbar characteristics but with percussion and OD - sort of a cross between Keith's C3 and Ballad B. Those two settings got me through any organ needs when I gigged with just my QS8.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Archived