Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vince Guaraldi

jazznovice1

I am very new to jazz. However, I am a big fan of Vince Guaraldi's pre-Peanuts music. In particular, his 'in person' and From All sides that featured Bola Sete on guitar with its Brazilian influence was wonderful. I was wondering what artists had a similar style. I really love piano jazz and I really love the samba type rhythms in late 50's and early 60's jazz. Any suggestions?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a matter of fact,

Vince was Cal Tjader's pianist for many years. Look up some of the old Tjader recordings like At the Blackhawk or Latino. They all have Vince on the keys, and are great.

Vince also did some work with Mongo Santamaria.

Lots of good jazz stuff on Emusic, including a big Tjader selection, but watch out for their greedy policies. For instance, they cancel out your unused downloads at the end of the month -- you paid for them, but they don't exist anymore.

regards,

--kwgm

• 1 month later...

Last night, ABC aired one of the Peanuts X-mas specials.

It was not "A Charlie Brown Christmas" but his sound was definitely there.

Charles Schultz and company were brilliant in letting Vince Guaraldi do his thing with the music.

Time to break out one of my favorite VG tunes i.e. "Christmas Time Is Here". :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by area51recording:

Speaking of that tune, does anyone have the changes for the bridge? I tried busting this out the other night and damn if I couldn't remember the bridge changes....

Try this one:

|DbMA9| Gb9 | DbMA9| Gb9| Ami7 Eb9|

|D7(#9) D7(b9)| Gmi7(b5) C#9 |C9 Gb|

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

You must listen to Luiz Eça an his "Tamba Trio".

He was a realy genius. Maybe you know him as the "The Dolphin" composer on Realbook.

But playing the piano, he was "something". He was the great musician when bossa nova whas borning in 60's. Absolute virtuosist.

Originally posted by ProfD:

Last night, ABC aired one of the Peanuts X-mas specials.

It was not "A Charlie Brown Christmas" but his sound was definitely there.

Charles Schultz and company were brilliant in letting Vince Guaraldi do his thing with the music.

Time to break out one of my favorite VG tunes i.e. "Christmas Time Is Here". :cool:

You might dig my organ trio's version:

Christmas Time Is Here - organissimo

More free holiday music fer yer listening enjoyment:

Clicky!

Originally posted by B3-er:

You might dig my organ trio's version

I do. :thu:

How close does your XK get to the real deal?

Keep it greasy mayne! :cool:

PD

Originally posted by ProfD:

Originally posted by B3-er:

You might dig my organ trio's version

I do. :thu:

How close does your XK get to the real deal?

Keep it greasy mayne! :cool:

The XK is close enough that I haven't missed my B3 in a live situation since retiring it in early June. I love the XK System.

The organ on that recording is my 1954 C2 that's in my basement studio, going through a Leslie 21H.

Thanks for the compliments. We were hoping to record more tunes this year, but things are pretty busy. We've had a tradition of recording 2 Christmas tunes per year for the past 3 years or so and giving them away free.

• 8 years later...

Archived