Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS--September 2006

ProfD

Alright, the time for a group Eric Moment has rolled around once again.

Gas bought an amp, Ed grabbed a K4, Mr. Nightime ordered a stand and copped Korg Legacy Collection to name a few.

What have you received and/or ordered in the month of September?

No proof of purchase and/or tracking slips necessary. We believe it even if you are a lying bastid. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought an amp stand and then took it back because it was too bulky and had a crack at a weld joint. I looked for a smaller stand and didn't find one to suit me so I think I'll make my own.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Prophet 600. An impulse thing... it was there, it was cheap. I have no practical use for it other than fun, but I do like to use it and a couple of other RAs I have as a reality check, so I don't forget what real analog really sounds like.

I just ordered a bundle of Sample CD's from EBAY.

It's all I have room for these days. I took 3 synths to a jam session yesterday and I thought, 'this is really more than I need'.

What's wrong with meeeeee??

Jupiter 50; Triton Extreme; Ultranova

Originally posted by BluesKeys:

I bought an amp stand and then took it back because it was too bulky and had a crack at a weld joint. I looked for a smaller stand and didn't find one to suit me so I think I'll make my own.

Jim, I'm not sure what kind of amp you use, but I have a DIY solution that makes my amps tilt great for under $5. I've written about it before - let me know if you want me to dig it up for you.

As for my Sept 2006 GAS, no new keyboard gear, but I did get a flat-screen TV. First new TV I've bought in probably 7-8 years.

Regards,

Eric

I'm scanning the topics and find that ERIC has posted in a GAS-related thread.

How come this surprises me?... NOT! :D

Eric, I'm waiting for the prices to drop on the HDTV units. And I want one that doesn't need an external cable-TV box.

I was going to replace the TV in my kitchen, but I can't find a small HDTV that has a built-in digital tuner.

Frankly, I've got a Tivoli Model One radio in there now - no TV. To tell you the truth, that's better. Sometimes I overload on TV and all the commercials at compressed volume levels.

But when the price comes down, I'm replacing the Sony in my den with HDTV. The TV I've got now is beautiful, but I figure I'll need to move up before long.

Gotta keep up with you, don't I? ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

I'm scanning the topics and find that ERIC has posted in a GAS-related thread.

How come this surprises me?... NOT! :D

Eric, I'm waiting for the prices to drop on the HDTV units. And I want one that doesn't need an external cable-TV box.

I was going to replace the TV in my kitchen, but I can't find a small HDTV that has a built-in digital tuner.

Frankly, I've got a Tivoli Model One radio in there now - no TV. To tell you the truth, that's better. Sometimes I overload on TV and all the commercials at compressed volume levels.

But when the price comes down, I'm replacing the Sony in my den with HDTV. The TV I've got now is beautiful, but I figure I'll need to move up before long.

Gotta keep up with you, don't I? ;)

Tom, I'm laughing out loud at your post. :D Thanks for finding me!

I actually watch very little TV - mainly DVDs and I sometimes get roped into something that my wife and/or kids are watching. We have a new den in our addition with one wall exposed brick that used to be an exterior wall. It was just begging for a flat screen wall-mounted TV. So I've been watching them closely for probably 6 months or longer, reading the reviews, watching the ads, etc. The prices are dropping pretty quickly...seems like the latest trend is going to be larger and larger plasma screens, so that is making the prices on other 'normal-sized' units drop.

The last TV I bought was probably in about 1999 and it was a fairly nice picture tube JVC - I think 32". The thing is a monstrosity in terms of weight and size. Barely anyone makes picture tube televisions any more. So I decided to invest in a nice new one and it does improve the TV-viewing experience quite a bit.

Getting back on topic, I do have some GAS for new keyboards...somewhere between the Yamaha S90ES or the Nord Stage Compact or the Hammond XK1, I'm sure I'll fulfill the craving at some point (but might be next year).

Regards,

Eric

I placed an order a few weeks ago for a Hammond XK-1 and a Motion Sound PRO-3TM. I'm awaiting arrival for both products. I haven't played the XK-1 yet but I plan to put it through it's paces and if I like it I'll buy it on the spot. I have never heard the MS product in person, but I got a very good deal on it. I'll flip it if I don't like it.

Based on my retailer's estimates, which are never accurate, the Hammond is expected sometime this week.

A full review of both products is forthcoming.

I bought my Oasys at the end of August; it arrived at the beginning of September. However, I still haven't played it yet, :freak: because I'm still waiting on parts to be shipped for my stand. :mad:

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by dp2:

I bought my Oasys at the end of August; it arrived at the beginning of September. However, I still haven't played it yet, :freak:

:eek:

because I'm still waiting on parts to be shipped for my stand.
And this is necessary to at least have a brief play of it because...?

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

I'm debating whether to upgrade from Sonar 3 PE to Sonar 5PE or maybe Sonar 6PE. I find it quite irritating that gas and money do not go hand in hand. ;)

I actually decided to given into my urges and upgraded to Sonar 5 Producer Edition. SO far all is well with no issues.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Hey Bluescreen - there's an epilogue to my Minimax - I had a problem with it (midi-generated noise in the output) and ended up returning it. Long story but I was very disappointed with the total lack of support by Creamware despite emails and an inquiry from the dealer I purchased the unit from. I hope that you're having better luck.

k

Hammond B3, Leslie 122 - is there anything else?

I finally got the missing parts to the stand last week.

More GAS: Reason 3 just arrived 2 days ago.

Yet more GAS: I still haven't finalized my decision on which firewire audio interface or control surface to acquire.

Also thinking about acquiring Garritan Jazz & Big Band. Anyone have any experience with it?

I was bit surprised with the quality of the barri(tone) sax and trumpet sounds. Although the trumpet samples still don't sound exactly like a real trumpet (especially the muted trumpet samples--which only sounded kind of like someone using Harmon mute), these samples sound considerably better than anything else I've heard. The soprano sax didn't sound bad either.

Archived