Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitars a Class-A Drug

Cliffk

Seriously, nobody has to reply to this; I just needed to say it to people who'd probably get it.

Last night a neighbour popped in to test-drive a new Gibson guitar he'd bought for a friend (he knows I've got amps). Now this dude is the quietest, most unassuming bloke you'll meet, but guess what happened when I put the amps on? He became a bloody raging 'guitar-god' :rolleyes: .

He says (in the most inauthentic 'American' drawl I've ever heard): 'Let's groooove some blues, man'. Whaaat? He then proceeds to do his best B.B. King/Chuck Berry/erm...White Snake vs The Who impersonation - all over my tiny living room, and ugly!

To sum up, I'm convinced electric guitars should be put on the taxonomy of drug categories. They do strange things to a person's character.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by cliffk:

To sum up, I'm convinced electric guitars should be put on the taxonomy of drug categories. They do strange things to a person's character.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1130991/2/istockphoto_1130991_crazy_guitar_player.jpg

Please, define "strange things".

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

CLIFFK,

It's getting bad, I made a comment in public in a work space(day gig, computers) about 8-10 years ago.

My piano teacher expressed a view about "modern guitar" being masturbitory compared to say Charlie Christian.....And on the day after I bought a guitar for myself (I have functional knowledge of guitar) I was recounting a story about noticing an article in Guitar PLayer mag in the store asking, 'Is the Art of Guitar Dead'... cause of Green Day sort of bands and such and said this outloud to another musician (a flute player, also a computer guy)....

I said...."Yeah it's like everthing is about "Play Guitar"" in a post modern sense of reducing alot of musicianship, Guitar musicianship.......to him! And eating up alot of record Sales (GReen DAy) even for Clapton or LArry Carlton let alone Charlie Christian and other musics....... the demise of "true" culture....... the post modern dilemma!

That was the real conversation (fairly deep) regardless of what instrument(vocals too) you play ....

We'll the FN corporate world and American society being what it is now a-fn-days..... And the "sky rocketing" of my local fame status....

playing piano/organ in my Guitar Hero band.... Some how sh%% gets around....

People will actually come to my gigs.....look directly at me and say "PLay Guitar" and mouth it like some scene from Caddyshack....

Total Power oriented 'sheep'....... Not a clue..... Musical neo-cons!

That would be OK but Rodney's gone.....

and oh do I miss him man!

Excuse the expression but it's (guitar) like any other Power Nipple nowadays.....!

Front runners rule and no time for the side show........ Their loss!

I love playing piano..... and I love listening to guitar ( strummiong it occasionally to) but these post modern social/power brain farts are getting annoying here in grand old US of fn A!

It's all part of the Abuse Cycle of America

these days!

There are actully less "things" to be these days..

When the fish stinks, it stinks from the Head!

I'm not jealous just dumb founded on how I'm being played as jealous in some "geared up" "Modern Times" remake.......

As far as I'm concerned all the arts are in decline on a social basis and this just makes all so evident to me on a personal level....

I do what I do because I love to do it......

I 'm not ramming it down anybodys throat but if anybody wants to see it that way

LET THEM!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

The music in my family came from my granfather and he was a guitar player.......

I feel any instrument is a worthy instrument if your into it. PERIOD!

The average person just seems to be getting further and further away from what it is to be a good musician...... I think less people actually play these days (computers effect on socoety, video games etc)......

What people don't understand is that if you put in the work....... they can't take that away from you! AND THEY WANT TOO! BUT THEY CAN'T!

Invalidation is a major part of the GAME...

So an ICONIC image (ala Guitar Hero) is very important!

Sorry to sound so jaded.....I'n not jadded really!

I'm just flabbergasted at how "low brow" and far afield some of this has become also!

tony

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Originally posted by cliffk:

Just his antics, and he's not even that good, though he's the kind who's learnt the most popular licks from the most famous songs, and poses and prances manically when executing them. I was just taken aback, is all.

Pity you had never seen a guitarist play before, or the antics would not have taken you so aback. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Pity people can't differentiate between wanking and showboating (what it sounds like this guy was doing) and genuine emotional expression. I move around on stage a little, toss my hair (isn't that what it's for?) a bit, and make some of the most ghastly faces while I'm playing. Am I wanking and showboating? Not really, it's just what comes over me when I play. Not even conscious, really. I'm locked into the music, and I express it not only through the guitar, but unconsciously through the rest of my body as well.

I'm not the most accomplished guitarist out there, in fact I'd rank myself in the "mediocre" category slightly below folks like Angus Young. But I love to play, and it shows when I'm playing.

Oddly enough, I used to do the same thing when I played keys for a band long ago - had to be more careful about the dancing around part, didn't need to be knocking over my rig...

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

CLONK

Hahahahaha. :D

If you can buy this thing for real, do you get chiropractician discounts with the instrument warranty? ;)

I wonder how a guy looks like playing on the lower one... *LOL* :cool:

Back on topic, in my case, gimmicks are only for show, like prog rock gigs. When I play in more classical events, or if I practice or record, I never do gimmicks or gestures. Everything comes from inside, to the fingers.

So I'm probably boring visually. :)

Griffinator,

I really don't have trouble with the musicians (good dues paying guitarists) as much as I do the whole guitar enchalida in general these days (espically the non-musicians) and I think even my guitar player bandmates and friends will agree (though not about their non-musician fan bases). It's very competitive for them and "stupid macho" "stupid/ego" driven alot of times.....

a they are driven to have to be stupid.. stupid.. Stupid Cool!

It's (modern guitar) much more of an 'idomatic' art form(espically the pure rock form), and very different than 600 years of piano legacy no matter how boring anybody might think that is!

Make your own rules and sound and the image that goes along with that all is cool 'to a point'but when it becomes the WWF wrestling.......well just call me BO-BO-BRAZIL!

My brother in law (guitar player/vocalist) one day put a guitar on me, stepped back and said "Ok, now your a star".....even he knows it!

Thats the stuff I think Cliff is talking about...

Most people nowadays would think Charlie Christian was a term used in some generic term like Joe Blow for your generic Born Again (not to offend anybody)!

anthony

Sorry I ment IDIOMATIC:

idiom

One entry found for idiom.

Main Entry: id·i·om

Pronunciation: 'i-dE-&m

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French idiome, from Late Latin idioma individual peculiarity of language, from Greek idiOmat-, idiOma, from idiousthai to appropriate, from idios

1 a : the language peculiar to a people or to a district, community, or class : DIALECT b : the syntactical, grammatical, or structural form peculiar to a language

2 : an expression in the usage of a language that is peculiar to itself either grammatically (as no, it wasn't me) or in having a meaning that cannot be derived from the conjoined meanings of its elements (as Monday week for "the Monday a week after next Monday")

3 : a style or form of artistic expression that is characteristic of an individual, a period or movement, or a medium or instrument ; broadly : MANNER, STYLE

sometimes I just wish a guitarist would look deep into my eyes, caress my shoulder and say..

"how did those 8th notes feel to you, ha!"

I'd just cry, just cry with joy!!!

Archived