Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Girl from Ipanema...

daBowsa

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.garotadeipanema.com.br/galeria67.jpg

Helo Pinheiro, the original "Girl from Ipanema".

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Well, the name was an intellectual property of the authors of the song (Tom Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes); however, she has her own website, called

www.garotadeipanema.com.br and apparently there is still a controversy regarding the name with the heirs of Vinicius de Moraes.

My opinion is that she received already a fair share of celebrity for the song; after she became "famous" she did a lot of things in her life, including being photographed twice for Playboy (the second time with her daughter).

If you visit her website, you will understand what I mean... :rolleyes:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by daBowsa:

...48 times!

http://eguren-zone.blogspot.com/2006/09/garota-de-ipanema.html

That is crazy! It's now up to 50 versions!

I work with a guy who plays accordian (among other things) and just yesterday we were talking about that song, and I told him that it had to be the accordianist's "Freebird" (as in people in the crowd yell "Girl From Ipanema!" instead of "Freebird!".

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I work with a guy who plays accordian (among other things) and just yesterday we were talking about that song, and I told him that it had to be the accordianist's "Freebird" (as in people in the crowd yell "Girl From Ipanema!" instead of "Freebird!".

"Lady of Spain" is the accordionist's Freebird, Wipeout, and Mustang Sally rolled into one.

acctjm

Everytime I hear the tune I think of the Blues Brothers riding the elevator up to pay the tax bill after that wild chase scene. The Muzak is playing GFI and it is the longest elevator ride. I just have to laugh .....

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I don't know about most recorded song, but Ipanema is definitely up there. I think "Yesterday" by Macca would be the all time covered song.

The original version of GFI remains by far the best, I really can't abide by any others, except back in the 80's I heard this heavy metal version (sounded like if Van Halen had done it, with DLR on lead vocals) that blew my socks off.

Speaking of elevator music, in the final gunfight scene in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" Brangelina are serenaded by a version of GFI while riding the elevator. Seems GFI is the classic "elevator music" song.

Originally posted by Mú Carvalho:

The problem is,

Vinicius de moraes probably was drunk when Helo apears to him and he wrote the lirycs.

Well... he was a known alcoholist and so you are probably right... but I think that the young Helo (at the time she was barely 15) had that kind of magic that blossoming girls sometimes have: that definitely must have struck a chord inside him. :love:

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Well, the name was an intellectual property of the authors of the song (Tom Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes); ....

This surprises me, since you can't copyright a song title. I can write an original song and call it "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts CLub Band" and not get sued by Michael Jackson or whoever owns the song these days.

Archived