Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Superman Returns: Bleccchhhhhh (Spoiler alert!)

Dave Bryce

I saw this thread before seeing the movie and thought, Dave is a comic book purist. It probably just strays from the comic book Superman.

I don't know which was more offensive: Superman as a lovesick peeping tom unable to do anything, or Superman as Jesus reborn to a society who has abandoned religion. (Oh come on, I can't be the only one who read this into it, with all the crucifiction poses, scars, rebirth, etc.) What a waste.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why didn't I check in at mp.com BEFORE I went to the movies yesterday?!?!?!?!

I agree, Dave.

Except for the music - I don't think using the 70's themes was wrong or bad. It showed that it was a continuation of a series, or at least a respectful nod to the past.

But the rest of it? Inane.

And that's coming from a guy who could kind of enjoy Napolean D.

Regards,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Superman Returns. I totally agree about the huge gaping holes in the plotline.

I am surprised however that no one mentioned the surprise cameo appearance of Jack Larson as "Bo The Bartender". That was absolutely delightful!

(For those of you too young to remember, Jack Larson was the _original_ Jimmy Olsen in the black & white Superman TV series featuring George Reeves as Superman.)

That was the one shining moment in an otherwise mediocre film.

FWIW............

I watched "We Were Soldiers" starring Mel Gibson this last weekend. Awesome movie! If you have the opportunity to watch it I recommend you do so...

It is based on an actual 1965 battle in Viet Nam. Get the DVD. Lots of extra information on the DVD you need to watch to fully appreciate the movie as it was intended. If you get the DVD watch the "Getting It Right" B4 seeing the movie...makes all the difference.

:cool: Michael :cool:

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Sorry, but all the "Superman" and "Batman" movies are pure crapidy crap. Imho.

X-Men rule though. :D

America needs its superheroes, fictional or otherwise - I think they serve as inspiration, especially Superman.
May I ask... inspiration for what?
I am back.

Originally posted by cnegrad:

I am surprised however that no one mentioned the surprise cameo appearance of Jack Larson as "Bo The Bartender". That was absolutely delightful!

(For those of you too young to remember, Jack Larson was the _original_ Jimmy Olsen in the black & white Superman TV series featuring George Reeves as Superman.)

The old lady at the beginning (Luthor's "wife") was Noell Neiil - she was Lois Lane in the color TV series. IIRC, there was an earlier one in the black and whiote series - I think her name may have been Phylliis Coates...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Mainly influenced by your reviews, I still haven't gone to see the movie. However, they've just had 'Superhero Weekend' on one of my local channels, and I happened to catch a glimpse of Valerie Perrine (Lex's sidekick from Superman: the movie). Man, did that bring back deliciously guilty memories. I dunno - 70s women have always done it for me ;):D .

Archived