Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mono Tremolo or Stereo Pan Effect for Rhodes?

Jazz+

Which do you prefer for Rhodes, the original mono Suitcase "vibrato" (also known as tremolo) or do you prefer the later stereo pan Suitcase effect?

From the Rhodes Super site:

Classic Rhodes Effects

"The Suitcase Vibrato was the original Rhodes effect, built into all versions of the Suitcase piano (as well as Stage models with the Super Satellite & Janus I systems). The idea behind the Vibrato was to simulate a rotating speaker, although the actual sound was quite different. The first version of the Vibrato was in mono, a tremolo effect that varied the amplitude of the piano's output in a square-wave pattern. When the Suitcase amps went stereo in 1969, this pattern was translated into a panning effect. Front-panel controls were provided for Speed and Intensity."

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/effects.php

Note: Fender Twin Reverbs feature only Tremolo (Vibrato)

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I prefer the more subtle mono "Vibrato" (tremelo). I didn't like the stereo panning effect on my 1979 Suitcase Rhodes. My friend has an earlier Rhodes Suitcase with the mono "Vibrato". I find the stereo auto pan on the later suitcase models to be too much panning motion, it almost makes my head feel a little seasick.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I like the stereo pan, but in a mix I don't go 100% left-right. I usually put it off to one side, something like .1 to .4 or .2 to .5 if the rest of the keys are on the left.

Unless the keys are upfront and in the center, then I'll do more .2 to .8 or similar.

I'm sure you get the point. :)

The suitcase stereo vibrato rocks!

My Ensoniq MR76 has a interesting imitation, with one funny exception: the vibrato starts individually for each note. This is actually a very cool effect, though not the vintage sound at all. But they did get the sweep just right, which a lot of imitations don't quite seem to capture. I'm not sure quite what's special about it. I suspect it's a sine sweep rather than triangle, but it might be more than just that.

Jazz+ is right that it can be too much, but with good speaker placement or a depth control (which the original may not have had) it's very sweet. Yes, I've played the real thing, but long ago and never owned one, and don't remember the control details.

My Yamaha CP70 also had a stereo trem, but I never found any use for it. Pianos just shouldn't DO that! ;)

I had an old Stage model and always wanted the Suitcase or at least the preamp from a suitcase. I just knew it would make my playing better. Sad to say I never had either and my playing has suffered ever since. :(

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Bobsk8, I used the MXR100 Phaser as it was my only option.

Jeff, now you know the truth, will you still be my drinking buddy?

Sorry Tom, your invited too. Heck come on everybody lets have a beer. It's not just for breakfast you know.

cheers

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

When I had a Rhodes stage piano, I used to run it through the MXR Phase 90, but when I tried it through my Leslie 760 I forgot all about the phaser. Rhodes pianos sound great through a Leslie, that 3D animation is something else.

My rig circa 1977 was Rhodes Suitcase, with MXR 10band Eq, MXR Flanger, SMall Stone Phase shifter, Doctor Q envelope follower, MXR Distortion +, and CryBaby WahWah through the FX loop. (Didn't know about delay back then!) oh, with the Distortion +, no thirds!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

My rig circa 1973 was a Rhodes with MXR100 Phaser, MXR 10 Band EQ, MXR Compressor, Peavy head and 2 JBL 15's in a home made cabinet. Can we say No high's? I was so clueless. I always wanted a Morley Volume, Leslie, Waa pedal but never got one.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived