Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Have you ever considered a musical 180 degree change in styles?

Blue JC

Hi folks. Have you ever considered changing to a completely different style of music than what is familiar and comfortable to you?

I play very urban music - Chicago-style, big, horn-band blues with a gospel-raised girl singer who can bring down the house. It's city music for want of a better term. It's very satisfying to play and I'm happy playing it.

My wife has become interested in bluegrass music in general and Alison Kraus and Union Station (AKUS) in particular. I got her a Banjo and lessons for her last birthday and tickets to AKUS for our anniversary.

To make a long story short, I took her to the concert and I can't seem to get this music out of my mind. I've always loved listening to roots music but this is something different. I want to play this music.

I find myself daydreaming about playing in this kind of band. It's entirely acoustic, freed from the tyranny of the drums (for the most part), involves improvisation and tight vocal harmonies which I love and the volume would help out with my Tinnitus immensely.

Have you ever wanted to make a complete musical left turn and try something totally different?

Best,

JC

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My style is so mixed up I don't really have a direction to change. One thing about bluegrass, very good musicians but very little if any keyboard.

I always thought that electronic musicians that use a lot of arps should listen to a good banjo player. They could seriously learn how to give arps more life.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

My 15 year old daughter, who is an up-and-coming singer/songwriter, listens to punk bands (Green Day, Hawthorne Heights, Flyleaf, etc), and I am a classic rocker. Not exactly a 180, but I swore I would never give that stuff the time of day. My, how times change with the right influence. I started listening to it for research for her project (her 1st solo CD is half finished), and now I listen to it for fun, and a distraction.

Whoodathunkit.

Jay

When I was a kid I was a straight-up hard rocker, and I played in an all-original hard rock band.

Today I'm primarily a blues and R&B player, and I play quite a bit of Latin and funk as well.

But it was more of an evolution than a 180 for me. And even when I was a kid, I had a lot of diversity in my interests. I grew up in a country music family, playing Southern gospel in church. So I definitely never made a change as radical as what you're proposing.

I do however, love playing new styles. It brings a lot of challenge, and keeps things interesting.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I'm basically a swing jazz pianist, I play the better constructed tunes from Gershwin, Cole Porter, Hoagy Carmichael, etc.

Most of my practicing is geared towards that end, improvising and playing what I call straight ahead jazz. I'm practicing more and more classical music, mostly Bach nowadays. My instrument back in college was classical organ and I'm toying with the idea of buying a two or three manual digital beast to practice on.

I'll still play jobs on piano and in a jazz piano trio of course, but I'll be spending more time on the classical stuff. At the moment I'm using Bach for my warmups instead of playing scales, arpeggios, patterns, etc.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

My instrument back in college was classical organ and I'm toying with the idea of buying a two or three manual digital beast to practice on.

Well that's not 180 degrees then is it, that's 360. The wagons have circled. :P:);)

I took a 180 about 20 years ago when somebody caught me off-guard by asking me to play in a Poulenc trio. Til that point, I'd had no interest at all in classical performance!

edited for grammar

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived