Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard in Movie "Groundhog Day"

Sawdust

So, here's an odd piece of trivia about which I'm curious. About 80 minutes into the movie Groundhog Day (starring Bill Murray), the main character is seen playing an electonic keyboard on stage.

Does anyone know what keyboard model he is playing?

Also, the piano sound sounds good...is the music we hear in the movie possibly coming from this keyboard?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sawdust:

Also, the piano sound sounds good...is the music we hear in the movie possibly coming from this keyboard?

Almost all sounds in movies are added during sound mixing. This extends to sounds like footsteps (foley) and sometimes dialogue (Automatic Dialogue Replacement) where the actor will re-record his/her lines.

IIRC, in the era when actors would suddenly break out into a song in the middle of a movie, it was very common for someone else to do the singing.

do you all watch in movies (and sometimes TV programs) to see if the keyboard is actually plugged in? Sometimes the A/C plug is missing, while the 1/4" cable isn't and vice versa. They will have fully decked out mics, however, for all the other instruments!
Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

I love how in Spinal Tap the keyboards don't even come close to synching up right. I believe the rest of the band played their own instruments, but it seemed that the keyboardist just kinda faked it.

But yeah, I love when cables aren't plugged in, but I love even more in old bad movies starring the likes of Arch Hall Jr. when there is a guy playing an acoustic guitar alone on a beach to his girlfriend and suddenly there are keyboards and backing vocals. Apparently Arch Hall has a magic guitar... did the Korg Oasys come out in a 6 string version? Gotta love it!

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

What I always liked, aside from instruments not plugged in on TV shows, is the old movies where there is a horn player and he's taking breaths during a phrase, or playing while there is a space in the part he's trying to mimic. Almost as good as the prop guitar where the player isn't coming close to the chords or strumming that is actually happening.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I was actually just watching this movie as this post first appeared. So I wondered to myself, to fill in the context of time in limbo...

How many piano lessons do you think he had to play as he did at the end of the movie?

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Thanks for the quick ID of the keyboard. The movie-makers pr'y chose it cause it had a nice matte black finish that fit the scene.

Jazzwee: That character in the movie must've had a LOT of Groundhog Days to learn to play so well as well as to ice sculpt and everything else. :-)

The American version of that joke (since we don't use the word "root" for the same thing you do down under):

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. "Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

Archived