Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Macbeth M5

Dave Bryce

I'm in love.

I spent what must have been an hour playing on the Macbeth M5 , and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy one of these. What a beautiful piece of equipment. Brilliant layout, great package...and the sound....ohmigod. It's just freakin' awesome. The thing just had the most fat, ripping, sizzly alive sound of any synth I've played in years.

I've been wanting to get a modular for a while, and I think this may fit the bill very nicely. :thu:

Ken Macbeth is a truly great guy as well. I'm very pleased to have met him. I'll bet I can get him to stop by here...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, that's a nice unit. It reminds me of the old 2600 Arp series, except with a whole much more.

How would you compare the sound of the unit as opposed to some of the other analogue synths around?

Erlic

Originally posted by Erlic:

Damn, that's a nice unit. It reminds me of the old 2600 Arp series, except with a whole much more.

Yep, it looks like an ARP, but it doesn't sound like one.

How would you compare the sound of the unit as opposed to some of the other analogue synths around?
Well, it had it's own sound fer sure...but if I had to compare it to anything, it'd probably be a modular Moog.

Man that thing is sweet. :love:

dB

No, no, Dave. Please. Have pity.

The M5 has been an object of desire since coming out. In fact, it's quite similar to the all-analog synth which I had started to design. Only, it has been designed by an experienced engineer, and it looks solid and beautiful.

I don't have any money! I don't want to know how good it sounds. I don't want to know that such a thing even exists! :freak::D

Now I'll have to spend some time with my friend's Modular Moog, just to keep me sane for a while. You're merciless!! ;)

Joking aside - I'm sure it's great. Get it and tell us everything about it!

Given that the M5 is ALL analog, I'm guessing that you'll have to "play" it from the front panel, or for note-oriented music, from a CV keyboard. Can you play it from, say, the CV outs of a Voyager?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Given that the M5 is ALL analog, I'm guessing that you'll have to "play" it from the front panel, or for note-oriented music, from a CV keyboard. Can you play it from, say, the CV outs of a Voyager?

From the Macbeth website:

"1 Volt/ Octave interface. +5V Gate"

Moe

---

Nice one Noah! Not in my budget right now though.

That Macbeth M5 looks nice. Any chance of some demo MP3's dB?

All this talk of modular analog synth design has my engineering juices flowing again. I have some ideas from where I left off designing synths in the 80's, plus a bunch of more recent ideas for implementing things inexpensively using custom analog CMOS/Bi-CMOS (= poly analog @ the right $$).

This would be my ideal next startup company! Ah well, we can dream can't we? You never know though....

:DTR

Originally posted by synthetic:

Dave buys ADAMs, Dave becomes the ADAM distributor. Dave buys an Evolver, Dave becomes Sales and Marketing for DSI. Dave buys a Macbeth...

...and has a ball with it. :cool::idea::D ) but I'll be more than glad to put up a few after I do.

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by Dave The Rave:

That Macbeth M5 looks nice. Any chance of some demo MP3's dB?

Not until after I get it ( :idea::D ) but I'll be more than glad to put up a few after I do.
Actually, there are already some audio demos on the Macbeth website....click the link in my first post. There are also some more demos on Analogue Haven\'s web site .

dB

Dave: when you played the M5, what did you use to control it? Based on the specs, it doesn't seem to have any MIDI inputs or a MIDI-to-CV converter. Did you use a CV keyboard or other controller (a sequencer, perhaps), or a MIDI keyboard with a CV converter?

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I'm in love.

I spent what must have been an hour playing on the Macbeth M5 , and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy one of these. What a beautiful piece of equipment. Brilliant layout, great package...and the sound....ohmigod. It's just freakin' awesome. The thing just had the most fat, ripping, sizzly alive sound of any synth I've played in years.

I've been wanting to get a modular for a while, and I think this may fit the bill very nicely. :thu:

Ken Macbeth is a truly great guy as well. I'm very pleased to have met him. I'll bet I can get him to stop by here...

dB

Originally posted by Richard Lainhart:

Dave: when you played the M5, what did you use to control it? Based on the specs, it doesn't seem to have any MIDI inputs or a MIDI-to-CV converter. Did you use a CV keyboard or other controller (a sequencer, perhaps), or a MIDI keyboard with a CV converter?

Ken had a Kenton CV/MIDI converter hooked up to it, and was driving it with an M-Audio keyboard, if memory serves.

I toyed with the idea of getting a CV keyboard for mine...but I'll probably get a Kenton too - more control, doncha know. ;)

dB

Holy crap, even the MP3 demos convey something that I just don't hear with soft synths or other digital emulations. (Tech editor starts scheming about getting his greasy paws on one of these...)

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

(Tech editor starts scheming about getting his greasy paws on one of these...)

Seems to me you need a review unit. Maybe Ken Macbeth can help... ;)

The question is - what are you gonna do when you don't want to give it back? :evil::D

http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com/M5%20Side%20On%202%20ba.jpg

:thu::cool:

dB

Archived