Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Selling your CD on myspace

MidLifeCrisis

Anyone here selling their CDs from myspace?

A singer I work with wants to advertise/sell her new CD on her myspace page.

I went and looked around and cant find a clue on how to do this. Anybody got any experience with this?

I spent two hours searching so this is not a lame request without trying to help myself out first.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know for sure, but having a quick look at a few that are selling CDs from there, they appear to be doing it by using links to their own website and not on the myspace site itself?

[Just search for "purchase CD" and follow a few of the links]

Some then appeared to be using some paypal feature from their ownsite to get the dosh. [There are sites that let folk stick mp3s online and sell their CDs via it I believe, mp3.com used to do it, I don't know if they still do]

But I'd question the effectiveness before I stuck my music online and paid for a website or whatever other fees there are involved.

I'd have thought you'd shift more CDs after a gig with the gig being the advertising and "sample".

Unless you can reach the level where you're on itunes or similar, or your site is visited outside of a "herd" like myspace, why is someone going to look for random singers?

In numbers terms - I expect myspace et al to reach a level where the number of people that will create one means the odds are against you, even if folk actually are trawling through listening to random stuff in a genre they like, why will they buy one rather than just keep listening to the freebies? and how long will they have to listen before they come across that one particular singer amongst all the rest?

Similary, if you're going to have a website to throw fans at, and chuck the url in gig adverts and on the CD blurb etc, why direct folk to a site that's populated by a huge number of competing artists?

I saw that people are using paypal.

The girl has a buy now button on her website. She did not want a simple link back to her site, she wants a buy now button on myspace.

I don't know how to edit the html which constitutes your homepage.

I am not trying to justify her wanting to do this, I just wanted to help her out. I think she feels it gives her legitimacy is she has something for sale there.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

I don't know how to edit the html which constitutes your homepage.

Ah, fair enough.

Like this you mean? :-

http://www.myspace.com/akisscouldbedeadly

If so, just look at the HTML source for the above paypal button and compare with the same on her current site.

Then click 'edit' on her homepage and enter the code.

It looks like it's just a html form with a hidden field called "encrypted" that has an encrypted key in it, which no doubt your friend has her own if she's already using it.

If she's not using paypal, then paypal.com is probably the best place to get what you need.

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

That's what I can not find. There a lots of edit buttons but I cant find where you edit the home page html. Help me out here. I dont think I am insane. I've been looking all night.

AFAICT - at least from the example I posted, they've converted to a band profile with "http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=BandProfile.convert"

and then put the html in the "bio" field on edit profile...[you'd probably use about me on an ordinary one], although all the fields can have html in them I don't think there's a way to edit the whole page, just each section.

Changing background colour, fonts and so on needs a CSS style adding to the end of the bio or about me section.

Let's pretend you want to purchase my cd package that includes a cd/lunch box/t-shirt,shot glass, magnet and matches. I just tell you to send your $35.00 payment to my paypal account...which happens to be tony@roberts-specialty.com. I just assume people know how to use paypal to send money and tell me what size T they want.

Um, you could try my system and see how it works...

I did, I did! :D

The only problem will be for those who don't have or don't understand PayPal.

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Question: Have you considered selling them on CD Baby to get the ball rolling?

I don't know what they charge, but there is some good music on that site and you actually get to listen to some of the songs in their entirety (rather than the Amazon 30 sec. clip).

I have purchased several CDs from them and like the overall quality of service they provide. (I don't own stock in them.)

Just a thought.

Don

Don

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

She mentioned cd baby.

She wanted something up tonight since she is doing a radio interview tomorrow afternoon and wanted to announce it.

After great research I found that you can edit your profile. When people view your profile they can see your HTML. Only took me 4 hours to figure it out.

Anyway, it's done. I just love volunteering to help people out.

:rolleyes:

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by yabbadabbadoo:

and then put the html in the "bio" field on edit profile...[you'd probably use about me on an ordinary one], although all the fields can have html in them I don't think there's a way to edit the whole page, just each section.

Forgot to thank you for the tip. This pointed me in the right direction. :thu:

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

I just bought a His Name Is Alive CD off their myspace page. But it was a link to their website, with a paypal integration from there.

Came off without a hitch, except that I don't like the CD much - I should have read the descriptions more carefully!

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I just sent off 5 cds to cd baby. If they sell the five you then send them 10 and so on. They charge like 9% and can dirrect depost your share right into your bank account. Looks like a cool service. Guess I'll just put my feet up on the desk and wait for the dollars to start rolling in! Hah, it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Originally posted by Tony Bennett:

I just sent off 5 cds to cd baby. If they sell the five you then send them 10 and so on. They charge like 9% and can dirrect depost your share right into your bank account. Looks like a cool service. Guess I'll just put my feet up on the desk and wait for the dollars to start rolling in! Hah, it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I hope it works out. I have found some really good talent on their site. Recently, I found one called Prozak for Lovers. Check it out, it is really interesting. Lounge type covers of heavy metal songs etc. It is just the way they do it that is cool.

Hope you sell a lot. :thu:

Don

Don

Archived