Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: favorite after-gig music or silence?

Blue JC

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how far I'm driving. If it's a half hour or less I don't listen to music. If it is longer I will choose Jimmy Smith, or some kind of jazz.

Always a beer or three and when I get home a shot of Tequila or two. I am always to wound up after a gig. I will sometimes drive 3 to 4 hrs because I usually stay up for 2 hours after a gig, soI might as well drive.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

[qb] Silence. Pure, bliss-filled silence.

I usually listen to my tinnitus after gigs, actually. :(

- Jeff

I just figured out that it's reverb that worsens my Tinnitus. It's as if the delay lasts forever....

So I would say, light music to cover it up. Very light.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

On the way home I usually listen to the radio. If there's no jazz playing, I'll listen to the BBC news. The bass player I work with has a jazz program at midnight (Radio 4 Nederlandse Publieke Omroep, like PBS in the US) and if it's that late I'll listen to him.

When I get home, since I do not drink any alcohol on the job, I'll have several glasses of wine and watch the TV.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by InfoSal:

I only listen to myself playing before a performance because I don't want to be distracted by other peoples musical concepts. Afterwards I keep my custom "musician earplugs" in all the way home because any sound can increase my tinnitus. And I want to think about what I played not be distracted by the music of some other artist.

Do you also not read other people's comments so you are not swayed by their views? :cool:

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Silence. Pure, bliss-filled silence.

- Jeff

While we are on the tinnitus subject I have a weird question to ask everyone?

Do you hear piano better than organ?

When we play small clubs we rely on our own amps and use the PA strictly for vocals. No FOH. Its up to each of the players to adjust their own volume.

Recently everyone has been commenting that my piano is way too soft, my organ is way too loud, but my synth is just right (apologies to the 3 bears).

What gives? To me I hear them all at an equal level. It cant be a difference in throw since they are all coming through the same amp and speakers. This has been a recent occurance. Any idea?

I always run the organ hotter than I think it should be in relation to the piano. After many years of feedback from the FOH, everything is balanced when I do this. I suspect it's the percussive attack of the piano that causes this but I don't know for sure. I just know that it works.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Music? no.

I like to listen to Coast-to-Coast AM . Sometimes it's ridicules, sometimes mind-opening, but most often interesting. George Noory comes from a perspective that these odd ball things are possible/probable; much less the skeptic than I am.

Then it's off to a 24-hour McDonald's drive up for a large vanilla ice cream cone. That's my reward.

Busch.

After playing church music in a loud band, I'd go home and listen to symphonies or jazz sax players or bluegrass mandolin... Nothing crankin'! Or watch a movie.

But at other times I might want to hear loud rock'n'roll - it's a mood thing! Is it that way for you guys, too?

I'm with Eric. I play in a Christian Rock band, and listen to Vanden Plas, or Derek Sherinian, or some heavier prog stuff afterwards. Keeps me charged up. Since I play earlier in the day, I don't have to wind down to sleep. I recently started listening to Erik Norlander's stuff, WOW!. Right up the alley I have chosen. Artsy, rock, prog, all the things I like. BTW, I am in my 40's.

Jay

Nice to meet you Jay. By the way, since you are a cop, there is this traffic ticket I got....

Seriously, I may check out one of these artists one of these days soon! Not my standard listening fare, but hey, if I am quick to state that Christian musicians are too narrow minded, and I AM, I should practice what I preach!

Eric, music is music. It is what we decide to play. If you want to play boring music, so be it. I choose to play something a bit more on the loud side, and I try to challenge myself each time I play. Even after playing a song for a few months, I try to find new ways to find "my" sound in it. With the ever-changing rotation of worship music, you never really get bored with the songs like when I played covers in a bar band (as much fun as that was most of the time). Just listen to all of the remakes of some of the classic stuff. Everyone and their mother has recorded a version of Breathe. And every one is a bit different. That sounds like a good starting point. It doesn't even have to be that radical. Change a pad to a light piano part, or add an FM bell part sparingly. You get the idea. It's like beginning to write jingles. Start with a known product, and come up with variations on the theme already being used. It gives you an idea of reharmonization, re-arrangement, even full blown composition. Use the assets at your disposal, the variety of sounds at your fingertips, and have fun! Imagination is your best friend.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Jay

Originally posted by The Real MC:

The one thing I can't stand after a gig is when someone plays a slow-tempo-drawl country song on the jukebox. That stuff makes me sleepy when I'm trying to stay awake packing up!

Or that friggin' "Closing Time" that was so popular a while back. All the bars thought it was "cute" to play that at last call. I hate that song.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Silence. Pure, bliss-filled silence.

- Jeff

Same here. If playing in my home town I would drive home, then WALK to a fast food place about a mile away, then walk home with my food, then park in front of the TV and eat.

On the road I used to go for a walk after getting back to the hotel. I will never forget an ordeal in Columbus, OH. I took off from the hotel walking through the parking lot, across a street, and down a sidewalk hoping to find a store or restaurant open. By myself. On my trip back there was a helacopter and several police cars. It seems that someone had called in a strange young man walking in the area that might be breaking into cars. :rolleyes: The police were very nice and quite embarrased about the situation.

Back then I was a young country boy that did not know any better than to go out walking by myself at 3 AM in a city. :eek:

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Music? no.

I like to listen to Coast-to-Coast AM . Sometimes it's ridicules, sometimes mind-opening, but most often interesting. George Noory comes from a perspective that these odd ball things are possible/probable; much less the skeptic than I am.

Busch.

I liked it better when it was hosted by Art Bell.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived