Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

March 06 issue, In The Family

Dave Horne

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, why is this group (Eisley, Stacy Dupree) being featured in Keyboard? (You realize I'm approaching this as a ... keyboard player.)

I've been listening to a stream of their Room Noises CD (15 minutes or so into the CD) and any keyboard playing I hear is extremely simple. The harmonies are only diatonic and if anything is being featured it's just the vocals. If tame were a style of music, they'd be on top.

I was tempted to add their comments here, but I'll let you read them for yourself in the magazine.

The article was written by a Robbie Gennet. Is he a regular at Keyboard? Why do I get the feeling this is advertising/promotion in the guise of a feature article. (Does Keyboard pay for these articles, or does Keyboard receive money for publishing them?)

Come on guys, with all the great players on the West Coast, one might think their recently reviewed mobile phones are on the blink. :)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Horne:

...is extremely simple. The harmonies are only diatonic...

Hmmm... Although I know absolutely nothing about the group you are referring to, I really don't think that music has to be complex to be good.

I mean, I can certainly appreciate complex masterpieces from Bartók, Prokofiev and Ligeti, but there are also many wonders that were created out of simple harmonies.

link ...

While you listen bear in mind this is a featured group in a Keyboard magazine article. You be the judge.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Well, I just watched the Telescope Eyes video. I must say... I agree it's not really keyboard oriented. :D

It's just one of those myriads of typical commercial songs made for radio airplay as dictated by big musical companies rules ($$$). Not bad, but nothing really exciting either. In my case, just okay in the background while you drive to the grocery or something like that. But certainly not for a road trip.

IMHO, the problem is today's music industry, not those young artists. Everything is channeled since way too long towards several super-over-exploited styles. And it's just too bad. But that's an entirely different debate, I guess. :cool:

But hey, the link said the band's got vintage stuff. Could we hear a real Rhodes in the background? :)

I just listened to a little bit. I sort of liked it, but it's pure unadulterated pop. It's the kind of music that I enjoy when I'm in the right mood, but I tire of it very quickly. Keys no more prominent than in any other pop music.

It is hard to see what specific qualities make this band a choice for a feature in Keyboard. Herbie Hancock it ain't. :rolleyes:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Well at least they can be proud of their debut. I listened to them on itunes. They were cool. Good tunes, great vocals and production for that kind of young group. Sounded like something I'd hear on the WB. They hit a little harder than say The Weepies, but I like them, too. I can appreciate their sound. Then again my ipod goes from a to z. I'm open to a lot of things. The keys on that stuff are perfect for what it is. You could very easily over play on those tracks and it takes a great musician to be able to listen to the others and know what to play where. Not to get in the way of the vocal. Not as easy as you think. That's why they're in the mag. Now, why were you in there again....

Originally posted by Cydonia:

Bartók, Prokofiev and Ligeti, but there are also many wonders that were created out of simple harmonies.

Yeah, simple alright.

I mean, would it have hurt Bartók, Prokofiev and Ligeti to write most of their works using quarter-tone scales?!?

And boring Schönberg with his relentless, simplistic repetition of the same 12 tones over and over again! Why not 15 tones or 72 tones? An octave can be divided more than 12 ways, you know! Sheesh! At least Harry Partch invented his own instruments and his own tuning, but even he couldn't play them all at once! Bor - ing!!! :rolleyes:

:P:D;):wave:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I listened to more of their music and actually heard a chromatic note! They used a secondary dominant 7th chord.

(If we were in C major, this would be a C7 chord resolving to an F major chord. The chromatic note would be the Bb in the C7 chord.) That's about the extent of chromaticism I've heard so far.

Linwood is correct, this is a nice beginning for a bunch of 17 year olds. An article in Cosmo Girl, Elle Girl or Seventeen, I would understand, but ... Keyboard? :rolleyes: (Linwood, are you collecting all of their CDs for posterity?)

page 34 ... Stacy agrees and says, "That's what people tell me. They're like, 'Don't learn theory,' because then you make little squares or whatever. But none of us have learned any theory."

Keyboard, Keyboard-Lite, and now Keyboard-Teen.

(Linwood, are you collecting all of their CDs for posterity?)
I buy cd's like their's because I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I were working on a project and some one says , "I want it to sound kind of like Eisley." I learn a lot by having and open mind and listening and not judgeing things for what they aren't. I'm really interested in why records sound the way they do. What mics were used..that type stuff. Like you, I already know what the notes are. At 52, I'm still trying to learn, bro. I listen to a lot of groups, all ages/styles,I write a ton of notes in a years time in every style you can imagine, and still study with a mentor in LA every Wednesday. I'm still curious....don't feel like I know everything yet. And I'm happy for these kids that they got in Keyboard Mag. It feels so much better to be happy for someone.

"They're like, 'Don't learn theory,' because then you make little squares or whatever. But none of us have learned any theory."
Not to jump the shark on this thread, but I hate that attitude.

Learning theory isn't all about "this chord goes always to that one", or "this is correct voice-leading" unless you want to write in common practice style. For a pop musician, it's good to know theory when you hear something new that you'd like to exploit/explore.

"Wow, what an interesting passage in that old Soundgarden song! I wonder how they got there ... hmmm. Oh, I see. So if I alter the voicing this way I get a completely different mood. I wonder what this sounds like retrograde ... whoa, cool! Now a parallel mode change to myxolydian here, and a lydian break-down at the m7 there ... voila, I just wrote a new song!"

It's pop music, after all ... lots and lots and lots and lots of cross-pollentation. Learn some theory and you can pull it off without revealing who you ripped off. I'm talking to you, Oasis.

And I'm happy for these kids that they got in Keyboard Mag. It feels so much better to be happy for someone.
You're right, I should be more positive.

If their music can put a smile on just one person's face, then it will all have been worthwhile.

Originally posted by Rabid:

I think articles like this are directed to the average reader of the magazine and lets them know that there is hope that they may someday make it in the popular music scene.

Imagine the possibilities...American Keyboard Idol. :D

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Bor - ing!!!

:D:D:D

Originally posted by linwood:

...I learn a lot by having and open mind and listening and not judgeing things for what they aren't...

linwood, cut it out. :love::thu::D
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

link ...

While you listen bear in mind this is a featured group in a Keyboard magazine article. You be the judge.

I remember skimming this article, drooling over the Rhodes but overall feeling a lack of interest in this band for reasons I couldn't quite put my finger on. Thanks for the link, now that I've heard them play for the last 10 minutes or so I know that I'm not crazy.

I really dig the vocals, these kids have a great sense of harmony (Reminds me of Annek from The Gathering for some reason) but the music, especially the piano parts, are shutting my brain down more than one cell at a time.

I agree that for a bunch of 17 year olds this is pretty impressive. In fact I've heard many local bands with older members that wish they sounded that good, but I just can't get into it. Maybe it's an age gap thing?? One thing is for sure though, if these kids stick with music, there is definately a lot of potential here. Wouldn't mind hearing them again in 5 years or so.

I dunno guys, what makes this different exactly? Ringo's supposed to be the best drummer ever cuz he plays in the pocket....

Still, put Sonata Arctica on the cover of that bitch!

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Archived