Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bobsk8

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need to have the image you intend to use available somewhere on the 'net, so it can be linked via HTTP.

You might look into sites like http://www.photobucket.com/ or http://www.imageshack.com/ , as they let you link directly to image files.

Remember to follow the guidelines in the FAQ about image size (both screen size in pixels as well as file size in kilobytes).

Sven,

Curiosity makes me write this: :confused: I have checked out photobucket, shutterfly, etc., yet wonder if the terms and restrictions are being complied with.

One of the restrictions forbids use of copywritten material. Not only in this forum, but many others I have seen logos, pictures, etc. that I know are not licensed to the individual using them. ;)

The first thing that they would probably say is that they are not getting any financial remuneration from the use of the image. Ask anyone who has used (as an example) the Harley Davidson logo how much trouble you can get into, even if you don't get money for it's use. :eek:

I am not trying to be the police nor do I honestly care myself about the use of these images, but as you usually have information to backup your advice, I would like to know your take on image usage. :wave:

Thanks,

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

I am new here and only recently taught myself how to make my own avatar and get it to show up with my posts. My ISP provides free webspace to all of it's customers and I think that's probably pretty common. I made the graphic and uploaded it to a "personal webpage". Comcast stepped me through the creation of the page and (for now) it has nothing on it but my various avatar creations. Pretty simple really. Perhaps you can do the same.

Originally posted by fulcrum:

Don't you need to have 100 posts before you can upload an avatar? I did.

I think this used to be the case, but one day the rain stopped, the clouds parted, and the sun came out. And standing on a ray of sunshine was our own Dave Bryce offering us the key to post avatars at will even if our post counts were infinitesimal.

He then opened his mouth and spoke, "And for you misguided people who enjoy blowing things to smithereens (Botch.), for $19.95 and a small shipping and handling fee, I'll increase your post count into the thousands. Even better, I'll take all the post counts from one sign-in name (Botch) and add them to another sign-in name (Botch.) and make it whole again... as it should be in the kingdom of dB."

And so it was done.

People in the kingdom of dB were overjoyed. They rejoiced and had a big party made up primarily of cats who were domiciled on the Left Coast (the one with earthquakes). Guests came from far and wide (the East coast - the one with hurricanes) and brought with them gifts aplenty. One tall, handsome, and wealthy guest even brought an unlimited supply of fresh, hot Krispy Kreme donuts because he knew that the revelers would soon succumb to the Monster of Munchies and require high-caloric fortification. ;)

They partied as if there would be no tomorrow.

And all was well in the world. :)

http://fleecefarm.com/images/bbutterflies.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

People in the kingdom of dB were overjoyed. They rejoiced and had a big party made up primarily of cats who were domiciled on the Left Coast (the one with earthquakes). Guests came from far and wide (the East coast - the one with hurricanes) and brought with them gifts aplenty. One tall, handsome, and wealthy guest even brought an unlimited supply of fresh, hot Krispy Kreme donuts because he knew that the revelers would soon succumb to the Monster of Munchies and require high-caloric fortification. ;)

Tom, please give me a puff of what you smoked today. :cool:

Originally posted by Desert Rat:

I am not trying to be the police nor do I honestly care myself about the use of these images, but as you usually have information to backup your advice, I would like to know your take on image usage. :wave:

Don:

I'll fire off a quick reply to this before I hit the sack (it's been a long day ;) ).

I would suggest that the use of an image in this forum as an avatar would, if one were to stretch the point a tad, qualify as ' fair use '.

Not sure how much water that argument holds, as I'm pretty wiped out... I'll have to jump back online tomorrow at some point and see if I still agree with that. ;)

Desert Rat,

Providing a link to a publicly available image on the web would not violate any copyright IMHO. The reason is that you DID NOT COPY the image. The image still resides in its original location. Just as you are free to go to that website and view the image, the link is no different. An avatar is nothing more than a reduced website. I don't think this even stretches any point. If this were not allowed then "doing hyperlinks" would be illegal.

Now if you save a copy of the image on your local disk, or if you modify an existing image that is not in public domain, then strictly speaking one could be in violation.

That theoretically can be enforced by the owner if (a) said owner even recognizes the modified image, or (b) is aware of such use, © such use is worth pursuing due to economic gain.

Having said that, there are many avatar sites that fully state that you are allowed to link to their avatars.

My humble (educated) opinion.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Jeez Gas, get that fugly hairy lobster off my screen. It's bad enough that I have to look at it on science sites! Now I'm gonna have nightmares. Thanks! :mad:

- Jeff

Tom,

don't worry, because your search is finally over.

I think I have found the perfect avatar for you:

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/03_Marzo/08/Fdg/PETA.jpg

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

I think this used to be the case, but one day the rain stopped, the clouds parted, and the sun came out. And standing on a ray of sunshine was our own Dave Bryce offering us the key to post avatars at will even if our post counts were infinitesimal.

He then opened his mouth and spoke, "And for you misguided people who enjoy blowing things to smithereens (Botch.), for $19.95 and a small shipping and handling fee, I'll increase your post count into the thousands. Even better, I'll take all the post counts from one sign-in name (Botch) and add them to another sign-in name (Botch.) and make it whole again... as it should be in the kingdom of dB."

And so it was done.

Fulcrum stands and applauds the story and the storyteller, meanwhile using his sleeve to wipe his tearing eyes

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

I would suggest that the use of an image in this forum as an avatar would, if one were to stretch the point a tad, qualify as 'fair use'

After reading the wiki, I would agree. :thu:

Don

Don

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

Desert Rat,

Providing a link to a publicly available image on the web would not violate any copyright IMHO. The reason is that you DID NOT COPY the image. The image still resides in its original location. Just as you are free to go to that website and view the image, the link is no different. An avatar is nothing more than a reduced website. I don't think this even stretches any point. If this were not allowed then "doing hyperlinks" would be illegal.

Now if you save a copy of the image on your local disk, or if you modify an existing image that is not in public domain, then strictly speaking one could be in violation.

That theoretically can be enforced by the owner if (a) said owner even recognizes the modified image, or (b) is aware of such use, © such use is worth pursuing due to economic gain.

Having said that, there are many avatar sites that fully state that you are allowed to link to their avatars.

My humble (educated) opinion.

Jazzwee,

I feel the same way as you. However, I have had a bad experience where my web site was linked to a rather questionable website without my permissionand it provided some interesting consequenses. It would be unlikely that we would say anything here which would cause the originator of the image to get upset (unless they don't like sheep...or sheep jokes). :D

I am just working with an image which doesn't link to a particular website, but is very identifiable by it's creator. And, yes, it does have ® attached, hence a registered Trade Mark which may have more implications. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Don

Don

Archived