Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I bought a MO8

NoLights

I'm still not 100% sure if this is the right thing to do -- but I've got 30 days to return it (once it arrives here). I had considered a new S-90ES, but the added length was a deal-breaker (it won't fit into my VW Jetta wagon and I'd need to buy a new hard case-- and with the MO8, I can use my existing S-90 SKB case).

I'm replacing a three-year old S-90. Basically, it's an incremental move. I like the MO8 for its soundset, the familiar keybed (I won't miss aftertouch), the additional Master slots, more real-time control and lighter weight. I use a Motif 8ES in my home studio (it doesn't leave home), so things will be a bit more compatible.

It's not one of those giddy, yippee purchases (like when I bought my Nord Electro -- or a Motif7 back in 2002. Gigging is a business (fun, not too profitable, but still a business). So maybe this is one of those decisions that just makes sense. And the purchase price will be softened by tax deductions and the eventual sale of the S-90.

It should be here in a few days. I'll let you know more when I've had some time to play with it.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a little FYI on the MO8. Ive put a bit of time into comparing it with the S90es myself. One difference among all the others that have been covered that I think I found that I havent really seen mentioned yet is based on my actual experience with the MO8. Im not so sure it is able to read as many formats as the S90ES. I was experimenting (in the store) with my thumbdrive loaded with various sounds. And was able to load a various banks into the MO8 but many of them it did not recognize. The S90ES however can pretty much recognize MO6/8 and Motif sounds/formats.

I have not totally confirmed this. Possibly with the M08 editor all formats would be possible.

However if my preliminary research is correct. The MO8 is NOT as 'expandable' as the S90ES as far as loading 'new patches' to it.

I could be totally wrong.... But if not, something to consider. Although you have the Motif ES8 so you probably dont care and I just realized I typed all this for nothing....

Alhtogh with the S90ES you would of course get the 'much improved' piano. - which was the biggest deciding factor for me to choose the S90ES over the MO8

Additional Master Slots? It is still 128, isn't it?
Hmmmmmm. I seem to remember early on - back when the MO was first announced, that it would have 256 Master slots. I just checked the Yamaha site and...it says 128. You may be right -- I got some homework to do.

I'm not too worried about formats - also, there's always someone creating that kind of software -- like the people at MoBros.com .

And... yeah, the Motif 8ES/MO8 piano isn't the best -- but in a classic rock/funk band, I mostly just want to get heard. There's not a lot of nuance when we play (shudder) Old Time Rock 'N Roll. It may only be a hassle on occasional jazz duo/trio gigs (but they're getting few and far between - and I play a lot of Rhodes anyway)At home, I can load in anything - or eventually go with software.

Maybe the 'business-like' way I've made this decision is just a sign that I'm growing up.

Nah. I'm 55 - why start now.

Very interesting move. I actually thought about doing this myself (replacing S90 with MO8), based on the identical dimensions and ability to use my S90 case - one of the deal-breakers about the S90ES.

What stopped me short is the amount of time required to re-program the MO8 - particularly Performances and Masters. The S90 data is barely compatible with the ES engine (aside from Voices, which I think require a translator like Maxx90). Combine that with the incremental improvements and no growth in polyphony and I decided to hold off on it.

I do think the MO8 is a pretty cool board and I wish you luck with it! Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Eric

nolights:

Do you feel like you're missing any important preset sounds from the ES? I am thinking of selling my motif es rack + 61key controller and getting a MO6 and I'm just curious as to how the new presets compare to the ES cause frankly all I care about are the sounds.

Before you ask, YES I have downloaded and looked at the data list for both the ES and MO but I just want to know your personal opinion and whether or not you can actually notice the MO's weaknesses in practice. I think you're one of very few people that own both the ES and the MO so your opinion is of great value here.

Thanks.

I find myself tempted to buy a MO8. I've always loved the Motif ES sounds, especially the pianos, EP's, basses, etc. But I've owned Tritons, (Studio, Extreme) since 2002 and been completly spoiled by the touch screen and the OS.

It's one of the easiest synths I have every worked with.

I find myself a little hesitant about tackling the Yamaha Motif interface,etc. It has a rep for being somewhat difficult.

But the attraction of having the ES sounds in an 88 weighted keyboard in the mid 40Lb range is giving me gear lust. And I got a price from an online store I deal with of under 1200.00 for the MO8.

I'd like to hear from Motif owners, especially if you've gone from Tritons to Motifs, to allay my fears of having to cope with the Yamaha interface. Thanks, Ewall

Hi Bloodsample...

I don't have the MO8 yet... it arrives on Monday :thu: I'll set it up next to the 8ES and see how they compare. My guess is that ...given the same waveROM, you could probably re-create any Motif ES patches in the MO. I don't know if you can directly import them, or if you'd need a software utility. With my S-90, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do much of the re-creating (including 128 Performances) by hand.

The only time you might hear a problem between ES and MO patches is in complex patches or programs that use lots of effects. The MO has 3 insert effects, the ES has...IIRC, 8.

Ewall -- I started with the Yamaha interface with the Motif7 when it first came out. Yep -- when you first start with it, it can be pretty daunting. I'm no techie-geek, so it was especially painful for me. What helped was the instructional DVD, the info at motifator.com and mobros.com . There was a guy in the UK that had a kind of Motif school on-line... that really made things clear. And, the forums at motifator.com are pretty good - with Yamaha guys regularly checking in and answering questions.

So, if you decide to take the plunge, you won't be doing it alone.

Before the Motif, I had a Roland XP-80... and that interface was just as bad...if not worse...than the MO, and there were fewer resources.

Oh... don't get too excited about the weight. It's more like 46 pounds. Light by Yamaha and Roland standards, and a tad heavier than the Korg Le88.

Ewall -- 1200 for a MO8? Yikes :eek: Now you tell me. I got mine for $1450 and thought I was getting the deal of the century.

Archived