Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone Got The New Toto CD?

cnegrad

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Bestbuy.com to check it out. "Falling in Between" was released Feb 28 as an advanced Japanese version, and the US version was released today. Amazon.com gave it a pretty good review. I'm going to try to pick it and the new Earth, Wind & Fire CDs up in the next couple days.

I'm checking iTunes to see if either is available there.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

"Falling in Between" is available from iTunes. :thu: I listened to the 30 second snippets. It will be in my library before the night is over. :D:cool:

Willie Dixon

Sven

I don't know why the discrepancy, but I got my info from BestBuy.com

Thanks for the link, though. Gives me all the info I don't get from iTunes.

Funny, I thought that the song "Hooked" had some Jethro Tull influence, then I looked at the additional musicians and saw that Ian Anderson played flute. I guess my ears haven't gone yet. :)

"Taint Your World" ROCKS!!

This will be a staple in my truck for a long time to come.

Willie Dixon

I'm a long time Toto fan but this one didn't do much for me. Mindfields was really good and this one keeps going in that direction, with all the influences people are talking about, but in the end I can't say it's a very good CD.

I'll keep listening and maybe it will grow on me.

Originally posted by pJamStudio:

I'm a long time Toto fan but this one didn't do much for me. Mindfields was really good and this one keeps going in that direction, with all the influences people are talking about, but in the end I can't say it's a very good CD.

Thank you. I won't be the only one to be saying it's not spectacular like I was hoping.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by SynthLord:

I just iTuned the title track. I do like it very much. I'll be grabbing the rest of the album later.

Is that Doug from King's X in there? :)

Nice avatar, Lord nord

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

I went to see their concert i Oslo the other night, and I think Greg Phillinganes was doing well in the mix live :cool: I'm a long time admirer of David Page but Phillinganes frazing brought something new into their music.

Glad to see more norwegians here,mezzo! I was at the concert too, and Greg did a great job, but my dream is to have both Dave and Greg on stage. They are doing a 30th anniversary next year, and they are working on having Dave,Greg and Steve Procaro on stage togehter. I`m looking forward to that!!!
Yamaha S90ES, Nord Electro 2 61, Roland SH 09 and a Macbook Pro running Logic Studio with various softsynths and my precious; Scarbee EP´s

David Paich is currently focusing on family issues (his sister is undergoing a double lung transplant :eek: ), so obviously has more pressing matters to deal with.

He is looking forward to hitting the road again when his sister is out of the woods post-surgery.

(this info from the Toto website )

Having seen Toto in many incarnations (including with Steve Porcaro and David Paich back in the 80's, and last year with Greg Phillinganes), I can say I'd LOVE to see both Greg and David on stage together. Hell, bring Steve out on the road for one tour, just for old time's sakes. Anything to stop Lukather from wanking ad nauseum over every bloody song... :rolleyes:

Whoops... did I say that out loud? ;)

Originally posted by kad:

I noticed David Hungate is no longer on bass. Whatever happened to him?? :confused:

Ummmm... David Hungate left Toto in 1984.

He was an in-demand session player before and after his time with Toto. In fact, some of our Nashville folks may have worked with him, as he's done a fair amount of work in Music City.

Check it out here .

Hey Steve (Nathan), if you're reading this, I see you did Toby Keith's "Honkytonk University" album with Mr. Hungate (probably one of many). Any input to this point in the discussion? Is he as amazing as I've read (and heard)? :)

In the liner notes (For those who got the album from iTunes, click on the link that Sven gave earlier in this thread) Steve Lukather said of Taint your World "This is a our tribute to our friends Ed and Al Van Halen. They are very close friends and I had this lick and we just had to cut it. Its sounds like something they might do but it still very Toto as well."

I don't know, but it sounded more like Eric Johnson to me.

It's ben a while since I've listened to any Toto, and this album is growing on me. It's in my truck stereo right now, ready for my to listen to on the way to gigs.

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by pJamStudio:

An Update FWIW: I've listened to the whole CD 4 - 5 times since and I have to say it has grown on me. Steve Pocaro (sp?) has added some nice textures and lines, Grep Phillinganes also adds really nice keys (not so sure about his lead vocals though), and there are many unmistakeably Toto moments.

I'm still not ready to say it's groundbreaking or their best but I'll be listening to it. After all name another band out there that plays anything like this!

pJamStudio

First, I to went to see Toto in Oslo (as forum memberts Mezzo and Frode also did). Great show, probably the best Toto concert I have been to (this is my fifth i think....) Greg Philligans did great at the keys, adding some new attitude and energy to the band. Always liked his playing thru all those studio recordings he has done for various artists.

Second, the new Toto CD is great, I think it is better than Mindfields, better songs, more interesting arrangments, and cooler from a keyboard perspective. My favorite is the funky "Let it go" which Greg sings lead on. But this Toto album is not the Toto I grew up with. Poor me, grew up in the mid eighties with the Pop'ish side of Toto. (My favorite album is "the seventh one")

Check out the new album. should be worth it. And don't forget to catch Toto on tour if you have the chance, it should be an amazing evening.

Saw the concert in Oslo as well. The best Toto concert ever! I was just thrilled to see Greg P., he was great! I missed "the person" David Paich, but Phillinganes is great, and he looked cool as well. He´s a true keyboard star!

Nice to see fellow Norwegians here!

Stein Tore

Archived