Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bet J

steveb

DirectTV has added BETJ, formerly BET Jazz on channel 330. Last night they had Joey Defrancesco smokin' on the Hammond B3 on "Studio Sessions". This morning there showed several jazz combos. They show some blues and soul, but plenty of jazz. I can't get enough of this !

Steve

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that channel. That's all I watch whenever I'm home at my parent's house. Myself, I can't afford the ridiculously expensive service you need to purchase in order to get the channel.

I do believe that I saw that "Studio Sessions" show with Joey D. He was part of a killin line-up consisting of Victor Wooten and his brother Futureman, Derek Trucks, Jeff Coffin, and Oteil Burbridge. It was nasty. And a funny quote from Victor Wooten right before they played a smokin version of "Oleo" was something along the lines of "I'm gonna let Joey cover the bass line." And cover it he did.

Yea, that's a great network. I've had it for a few years with digi cable. Studio Jams is one of my favs, too. Joey's on a few episodes with different sidemen. Wasn't it cool to see Derek Trucks hang with those jazz greats??!! Some others that you'll see soon that are killer: Jeff Lorber with his band. Michael Wolfe's show is smokin'. Pat Martino with Bela Fleck. I could go on and on. Great concept for a show. Reality TV at it's best.

Studio jams is great.

I started this thread on Brad Mehldau earlier, triggered by seeing him on BETJ.

Lately they've been repeating Diana Krall at Montreux Jazz Festival.

I also enjoy watching repeats of Chick Corea's Rendezvous in New York.

They don't have a lot of quality programming though so there's a lot of fillers that aren't so good.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

I worked as a mixer for BET Jazz for 5 years and still freelance for them at times. In regards to content, it's likely to be much better now that their subscriber base has more than doubled overnight. :D

Unfortunately I have Dish. :rolleyes:

Brigog --

This is the Studio Sessions that I saw, what a line-up!

Jazzwee --

Lookin' forward to these shows

TinderArts --

Cool gig !

We don't see much jazz up here in the frozen Maine tundra, so I'm really enjoying BETJ.

Steve

Dang - that channel doesn't appear to be part of Total Choice, just TC Plus and Premier. :(

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

BET Jazz was one of the primary reasons I bought the digital channels line up from Time Warner.

I don't have time to watch much TV, but this is a good one for me. :thu:

Of course, trying to wrestle the clicker from the one who is stuck on The Home And Garden Network can be kinda tough. Sheeeeesh. :rolleyes:;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

BET Jazz was one of the primary reasons I bought the digital channels line up from Time Warner.

Yeah, that's why I got Digital cable from TW. That and ABC Family for Who's Line is it Anyway.

Of course, trying to wrestle the clicker from the one who is stuck on The Home And Garden Network can be kinda tough. Sheeeeesh. :rolleyes:;)

And that's why I got the DVR :D:cool:

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

And that's why I got the
The only problem with this was that early on, and I hope they got better now, the schedule on their website did not match the actual show schedule.

I remember setting aside the time to watch Chick Corea and the show did not actually start until a couple of months later (nowadays they repeat it on Thursday nights). So it was hard to know in advance what is actually going to show up. I stopped looking at the schedule after that.

The good news is that a lot of the shows are repeated so there's a good chance of seeing it. They don't do a lot of repeats of Studio Jams though and I happen to enjoy that one a lot. I'd rather they repeat that than having the show "More than Jazz" or even "Smooth Jazz". But I guess they are trying to expand their audience.

This has to be the closest thing to a "musician's channel" though.

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

They don't do a lot of repeats of Studio Jams though and I happen to enjoy that one a lot.

In my market, Studio Jams is one at least 3 times a week, and they're mostly repeats. There are some episodes that have been on 10-12 times already. I have my DVR set up to record every time it's on automatically, so I never miss one, but I only really watch it a couple times a month. The rest are repeats.

I think I'm going to change the settings so only new episodes are recorded.

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

[in my market, Studio Jams is one at least 3 times a week, and they're mostly repeats. There are some episodes that have been on 10-12 times already. I have my DVR set up to record every time it's on automatically, so I never miss one, but I only really watch it a couple times a month. The rest are repeats.

I think I'm going to change the settings so only new episodes are recorded.

Well that sums up my problem, I never know when it is going to be on.

I just contacted my Comcast agent and added BetJazz to my lineup. Costs $5.99...not too bad. I get Speed, Fox Movie Channel, and 4 Fox College channels...whoopee!

I hope to see some old school Chick Corea- Electrik & Acoustic Band, Brecker Brothers, Bela Fleck, Mark Whitfield, and others.

Play only what you hear within...if you hear nothing, play nothing at all

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

Studio Jams is on NOW! (PST).

I just turned the TV on and there it was...Didn't even check the schedule. So now I'll remember, Fridays.

Edit -- Well, all guitar today. Cool though.

I just looked at the last three that were recorded, and got Soul Sessions instead. Great music, but not what I wanted. So I did a search, and it looks like they've taken it off for a while. This was right after they changed from BET Jazz to BET J. I hope it's back soon.

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

I just looked at the last three that were recorded, and got Soul Sessions instead. Great music, but not what I wanted. So I did a search, and it looks like they've taken it off for a while. This was right after they changed from BET Jazz to BET J. I hope it's back soon.

I actually saw the same old Studio Jams. Not Soul Sessions. So at least we know it's on Friday (yeah the day I don't usually watch TV).

Good show too. Harmonica player and Bass Player were jammin.

Archived