Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sven Golly's leaving screwed me

zoomer

This is a reply to the Sven situation...Before this flap occured, I asked on the board how to hook up a pedal to control the Volume on a Roland rd700sx. (The manual to me is incomprehensible)

Sven graciously offered to help, said he would download the manual and walk me thought it.

So, based solely on his offer for help, I purchared ($60.00 US) a Roland effects pedal.

When it arrived, I send him a private e-mail asking for help. Next thing, he sends me an e-mail saying that he cannot help me anymore because he is upset at the board for whatever, and is leaving.

I am left hanging dry with a pedal I cannot figure out how to use, and $60.00 short, all because

Sven made a promise to me, and backed out. I am not this board, just a private individual he promosed to help thru the board.

A person of integity would have fulfilled his promises and comittments regardless of staying or leaving the board. Bottom line is that Sven broke his promise to me, thus he screwed me. Moderator, (and others), please keep this in mind if and when Sven ever wants to come back.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you kidding me?

Maybe someone else would help you out if you didn't act so deserving of personal attention and hand holding.

Maybe instead of attacking Sven you could just humbly ask your question and see what happens...

"A person of integity"

A person of integrity might actually consider the other guys perspective. Sven apparently has had his feelings hurt. He's a private individual, not an employee of this forum or the magazine.

Your problem could no doubt be helped by any number of people here, but you've put everyone off with your self centered rant. Karma...more than a keyboard.

Good luck.

According to the marketing info at Roland:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?dsection=d_downloads&ObjectId=666

"The RD-700SX is fully equipped for the gigging professional. Both 1/4" and XLR outputs provide compatibility with all popular types of mixers and amplification systems. And for the utmost in performance expression, the RD-700SX offers inputs for damper pedals and two-function assignable foot pedals. Use the tandem MIDI outs and USB I/O for MIDI control and data backup/exchange. The RD-700SXs customizable Master Control features allow it to serve as the master for other MIDI instruments. And for audio/visual-minded musicians who want to play graphics (via Edirol video equipment), the RD-700SX is V-LINK compatible."

In order to get the manual, one must either be a registered owner or register now so I don't have the manual.

There are two function assignable pedal inputs. There most likely is a global menu of some type and in it there is a set of choices for pedal one/pedal two. Nothing you do will make it explode. Somewhere in that same global menu there is probably a reset option in case you do something you can't figure out how to reverse. The manual may not be in the king's english, but it also is not in (pick your own difficult language). Maybe working your way through this on your own will help you learn how to decode the manual. Also, one of those pedal inputs probably defaults to volume so you probably only have to plug it in one of the inputs. 50/50 chance of getting it right the first try.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by zoomer:

This is a reply to the Sven situation...Before this flap occured, I asked on the board how to hook up a pedal to control the Volume on a Roland rd700sx. (The manual to me is incomprehensible)

Sven graciously offered to help, said he would download the manual and walk me thought it.

So, based solely on his offer for help, I purchared ($60.00 US) a Roland effects pedal.

Effects pedal? What kind of effects pedal? :confused:

If you wanna control the volume of the piano, you have two options:

1) A continuous control voltage pedal, or

2) An actual volume pedal

The first one plugs into a compatible jack on the back of the unit, where the second one has the audio out of the instrument plugged into it.

In the case of the first option, you need (something like) an EV5 pedal - is that what you got? If that's the case, you just need to plug it into the appropriate jack on the back of the unit (the FC1 jack, I figure). My guess would be that it would default to volume control, and should therefore work out of the box. If not, I'd try the other FC jack (there are two, yes?). If neither of those do what you want right away, I imagine there's a menu in the instrument that lets you change that. Calling Roland tech support would probably be the way to go if you can't figure that out from the book.

If you decide to go with plain ol' Actual Volume Pedal - then, you just run the audio outputs of the piano into the pedal, and the outputs of the pedal to your amp, and you'll be good to go....

Hope that helps some. :)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I am sorry to hear that Sven has been pissed off by something on the board. He knew what he was talking about.

Is that an EV-5?

Plug it into the input marked FC-1 and it should just work. Down you should get lots of volume. Up you should adjust the knob on the side until it gets soft.

If this don't work, come back. I could not find the manual online to check but usually FC-1 on most synths (when their is a sustain input as well) does volume by default.

In general the control pedals can be assigned to Midi CC (control channel) numbers. If memory serves, volume is channel 7. If you can work out how to assign CC numbers to a pedal make sure FC-1 is assigned to CC no 7. Its possible CC 4 will work too.

I'm not a whiz with this keyboard, but if you look at page 84 in the manual, it shows how to change the assignment of the pedal (for both FC1 and FC2) from the EDIT menu. In particular, pay attention to #3 in the "How To Make Settings" section.

You want to send CC7 (maybe it shows CC07?) information. Page 161 shows the CC (Control Change) messages available.

And yes, like Dave wrote, you want to use a continuous control voltage pedal.

Good luck. :)

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

The default for FC1 is SOFT and FC2 SOSENUTO (i.e. the RD700SX is a stage piano first and foremost). These can be changed to volume #7 or expression #11, globally or on a SETUP by SETUP basis.

I believe this can be done as simply as pressing SHIFT while moving the pedal. That should take you to the appropriate settings page. I can't check it out as my RD700SX is in the van at the moment.

Also, lay off Sven. He's one of the most helpful people around and owes you nothing.

Busch.

Did the person/store who sold you the RD700 and the pedal offer any help? If not, they got a free commission and someone uninvolved gets the blame.

I think a volume pedal is something you should learn on your own. Otherwise, all keyboards are over your head.

I'm new here and I agree with most of the posts here. If you are just hooking up a "volume" pedal it isn't very difficult. I don't know about the Roland keyboard but there are two different ways depending on if it is a stereo connection you desire or just mono. Either case you just use a 1/4" cord from your keys to the input of the pedal and a 1/4" cord from the output of the volume pedal to your amp.

I agree that all you had to do was ask and I am sure someone here would have been more than willing to help you............ You might just try that next time.

Gear: Korg TR-61, w/EXB-SMPL & 64mb SIMM, Peavey KB3... Computer: PC, AMD 64 3500+, ASUS A8N-E mb, 1-gig OCZ 3200, DVD-RW, nVidia 6800GT, 100-gig SATA hdd, SoundBlaster X-Fi, 200w JBL sub, Vintage (1974) Bose 901 run through a VSX-456 home stereo.

Thanks for all your help, but Sven promised me that if I bought an effects pedal, he would then help me get it working. After buying the pedal, he then said he would not help me. Simple as that. If Sven had done that to any of you, you would not be happy either.

For your information, actions like that are NOT personal integrity. To question my integrity simply because I report someone on the board who has misled me is ridiculous.

Also, I am NOT acting "so deserving of personal attention and hand holding". I am simply warning others to be careful in the future about purchasing items, spending money, or whatever, based upon someone's promise to help who now has a history of breaking those promises.

And yes, I am an idiot when it comes to somplex computer and electronics. That is why I came to this board for help.

Lemme guess... you just turned 13? :rolleyes::freak:

Get over it, Dude. Sven doesn't owe you anything.

Does your mama still wipe your butt? :confused: Do you post it in an international public forum if she misses a spot?

Go play in the street.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Well, you still haven't answered anyone's followup questions. Are you actually here to get your problem solved?

I count 7 courteous and informative posts - have you treid any of their suggestions?

Please consider responding to these questions:

• What "effect" pedal did you buy?
  • What are you trying to acheive?
  • Why haven't the suggestions presented to you worked?
  • Can you direct us to the thread where Sven said he'd help you so we can get a better understanding of what Sven was going to help you with?

... I send him a private e-mail asking for help. Next thing, he sends me an e-mail saying that he cannot help me anymore because he is upset at the board for whatever, and is leaving.

This does not sound right at all. Sven might tell you to Google, or search, or read the manual, but I cannot imagine him telling anyone he will not help. If I am wrong I apologize, but it makes me questions whether you really had any contact with Sven.

What I am about to say I mean in an honest, nice way. If you cannot hook up a simple pedal to your keyboard, then consider staying away from synths and take up electric guitar. Or better yet, bass. Only four strings on a bass. A good music store will even put replacement strings on for you.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Yes, I am here to get my problems solved. Thank you.

The effect pedal is a Roland EV5. As my original post explains (look in the first sentence), I am trying to achieve using it as a volume pedal to control the volume internally rather than use a conventional in-line volume pedal so as to cut down on hum noise. No, I have not had a chance to try all the above suggestions.

Finally, I do not know how to direct people to the original post...it is on this forum someplace. Locating it to find out what Sven was going to help me with is not necessary, as my question has not changed: I want to hook up a Roland EV5 effects pedal to a Roland RED700sx to internally control the volume.

PS--the Roland RD700sx is not a synth, at least it is not promoted as such. It is a Stage Piano.

We know... :idea:;)

I guarantee that the answers you need are in this thread. If that's what you're looking for, it is here.

There are several people here who are willing to help you, but you only seem to want to complain bitterly about how you've been wronged by Sven. You might wanna consider rethinking your approach.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The irony in this situation is that Sven was trying to teach people who don't want to take the time to do any research for themselves and he left over a misunderstanding about how to improve the situation in which Sven volunteered to help out and improve.

Now we are asking him to come back, while someone who wants someone else to do his research is saying Sven screwed him. :(

Bottom line is that Sven broke his promise to me, thus he screwed me.

Hey Zoomer,

Bottom line is my wifes broke her promise to me and thus 'never' screwed me and that must have happened thousands of times and after spending time and money. Just get over it and stop complaining.

Now there are 2, maybe even 3, threads that need to be deeply buried.

This whole Sven thing is entirely, completely, and absolultely ridiculous. Should he come back, sure? But this drama, episode, and soap opera has reached far beyond the point of absurdity.

Enough already! I....can't...take it anymore (said in the voice of the venerable Captain James T. Kirk).

Seriously folks, are we all in 5th grade? Time to move on.

Originally posted by garrafon:

Now there are 2, maybe even 3, threads that need to be deeply buried.

This whole Sven thing is entirely, completely, and absolultely ridiculous. Should he come back, sure? But this drama, episode, and soap opera has reached far beyond the point of absurdity.

Enough already! I....can't...take it anymore (said in the voice of the venerable Captain James T. Kirk).

Seriously folks, are we all in 5th grade? Time to move on.

+1

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by garrafon:

William Shatner walks into a bar carrying Leonad Nimoy and the bartender says "hey buddy, you have a big Spock on your shirt."

Honestly, who the F cares is Sven screwed you or not... if you spent as much time trying to find the answer as you did complaining about it, you'd have figured out how to use the pedal already.

Also, why does everyone care so much about someone ceasing to post on a message board??!?!? Man, it's not like someone died or your wife left you - get over it an move on. It's just keyboard talk on an internet forum - life WILL go on.

Archived