Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sexy keyboards?

Dreamer

This could well be the silliest topic of the year, but here it goes:

Since so many of us have replied to the question "What else do you play?", and since right now on the Guitar Forum there is a (four page long) thread about sexy guitars... I wonder:

- Which, of the (many) instruments you play is the one you have developed the most intimate physical relationship with? And why? :o

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most intimate physical relationship

Well to be silly ill say...My Pipe Organ

but to be honest MY KAWAI K5000S and K5000W

out of a selection of around 12 keyboards

i find the workstation is easy to get round to do quick non computer editing of midifiles,sequences etc and to include the great additive synth thats built in

and the K5000S synth version to edit those additive synth sounds

and both have a good feeling keybed.

They allow me to quickly compose some interesting original music and allow me to modify my SMF quickly before a gig .

add to these my favourite sequencer............ is my AKAI ASQ10

out of aroundat least 6 sequencer collected over the years.

yes an oldy but still a powerful tool as good as it gets in those days

coming close to computer sequencing

i do not use computer sequencing or soft synths.

Ok, I'll bite. If this had shown up as first or early post I would have figured it was trolls again. But since we both shared part of our name (Dream aka BluesKeys) I'll go with this.

I would have to say my K Kawai grand. Why? Well, she's long and she's tall, sleeps with her head in the kitchen and her big feets out in the hall. Wait I broke into song for a minute, sorry.

Why? Ok, she is long all 6'10" of her. She's got great shape, like a one legged woman, butt up. She feels Good under my touch and she purrs when I stroke her, Sings when I start to wail and screams when I'm ruff on her.

And as Billy and Ray say,

she would always be there,

any day any hour

all it takes,

is the power in my hand.

This baby grand (well she grew up)

been good to me.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

It's a grand piano.

Imagine the possibilities. You play a little tune sitting on that bench together, you help her pick out some notes and share a laugh.

Then she sings a torch song standing on top of it, and you accompany her. You laugh some more.

Then you tell you want to show her the pedals under the piano. When you go under the piano, take some chocolates and a bottle of wine with you.

Jerry

yea good one...blueskeys

yes that will be applicable to me when dad plays keys in a harp band and passes he's grande onto me....perish the thought

but my dads yamaha baby grand is my favourite but as i dont own it yet i didnt include it

but it has special love to me as when we got it it was an abused baby from REDFERN RSL an australian icon once.....and it had stiletto heel dents all over it,and cigg burns,scratches and gouges...yes real history,dad did a refurbish enough not to lose its "used" charm but to neaten it up,but we didnt have to touch the action...to me its still the best piano ive ever played,its better than our Beale baby grande which dad had fully refurbished mechanically but was perfect cosmetically.

the yammy has the brightness i like,and the feel i like

the beal is soft,rather dull to me,appears dead after the yammy.

I recently looked at buying a cheap grand...a Tokai [another RSL buy] but it was very notchy and nonconsistant and i would not be satisfied with anything less than the yammy baby grande....but its not mine...but one day i will cherish my dads great yammy...and carry on the tradition of owning a piano with live australian RSL gigging history.

but till now i use it on my numerous visit to his place

sad though the baby beale is left silent...sometimes i feel sad for it.

http://www.hellodd.com/Kr/DD_Life/Music/Data/20050929135332%5B1%5D.jpg

Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I would say Yamaha Electone EL-900m.. I just can't have enough of it, every single minute spared, I'll surely have it a go.. hehehehe..

Sexy look, sexy sound, sexy touch, sexy vibe..

and it makes me look good whenever I'm with it..

-eevil-

hmmm...the keyboard I have the most intimate relationship with? Well, I haven't seen her or felt her in about a year, but it would have to be my parents upright baldwin. I started playing on it at the age of 5...makes me wonder if I was too young to have relations.

Play only what you hear within...if you hear nothing, play nothing at all

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

It's a toss up. For my live rig, I'd have to say my Hammond. I've loved the Hammond sound for as long as I can remember, and I have access to that sound any time I want to onstage.

But my real baby is my 1890 pump organ. She has a place of honor in my music room, and gets played whenever I want a real back to basics moment. All the stops work, both pedals are operational, and there are no holes in the bellows. Tone wise she sounds very much like the organ in Clapton's "Tears in Heaven."

Plus it was my Grandmother's and I inherited it. I practiced my first lessons on that organ 43 years ago. It's been the one constant in my musical life.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Well... my question was not about just keyboards: in fact, after seeing how many of us play at least another instrument, I was wondering what's the difference in terms of physical relationship.

Example: when I play my guitar, I have a very strong physical relationship with "her": I hug her, I hold her tightly against my body, I stroke her strings, and the way I stroke her is exactly what determines her reply, so I was wondering: is it possible for a keyboard player to have the same kind of interplay with an acoustic piano? Or an electronic keyboard? Or a Hammond organ? :confused:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dreamer:

...when I play my guitar, I have a very strong physical relationship with "her": I hug her, I hold her tightly against my body, I stroke her strings, and the way I stroke her is exactly what determines her reply... :confused:

And you folks think I'm out to lunch when I bring up the subject of SHEEP. :rolleyes:;)
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My vote would be for Michelle Pfeiffer. ;)

Otherwise, whatever grand piano that's available for me to play. Hasn't been one in many years, unfortunately.

I was pretty attached to my Yamaha CP70, which was my main piano for almost 20 years, but I wasn't sorry when I donated it to a church. The Ensoniq MR76 is overall a better piano though I don't have any emotion about it.

These days, it comes down to two guitars: the Martin HD28 I've had for 25 years and is a lovely instrument, and a hand-made fat blond jazz archtop with Bartolini floater, which my wife gave me for my 40th birthday. The former I could part with if I found a better replacement, but not the latter. Picture below, and it looks better now with a rosewood pickguard.

http://learjeff.com/studio/Jubal-sm.jpg

My PC2X will expire from heat death and too many one-nighters in 7 or 8 years just like the PC-88 before her and the KX-88 before her and on and on.

My Wurlitzer Upright Piano, Hammond B3, Leslie 122 and Martin D4 guitar all stay home where it's safe and warm and I can visit them anytime. When the moment is right...

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Cydonia, :D . :wave:

Hey, by the way, thanks for reminding me about the Rhodes thing, I almost forgot I had Rhodes samples in my PC2XL. So last night I rediscovered the joys of scrolling through patches and jam a little for a while. :)

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Well... my question was not about just keyboards: in fact, after seeing how many of us play at least another instrument, I was wondering what's the difference in terms of physical relationship.

Example: when I play my guitar, I have a very strong physical relationship with "her": I hug her, I hold her tightly against my body, I stroke her strings, and the way I stroke her is exactly what determines her reply, so I was wondering: is it possible for a keyboard player to have the same kind of interplay with an acoustic piano? Or an electronic keyboard? Or a Hammond organ? :confused:

yes Dreamer i get it hence my two posts

the first the K5000 was my music making indulgence but I had to post the second about my dads yammy baby grande as that really is the instrument I feel part of....sought of makes me feel like I have some soul when i play more than any electronic instrument....thanks for reminding me of that....must get to dads for a play.

oh but I still feel sad for his Beale baby grand...I think we should get the old tuning key out and give those strings a going over.It needs to be reminded it is still loved.

most physical connection I get is when playing my hammond, and I can't wait until I move back to Sweden from Oz where 'she' is waiting for me (way too heavy to move country with)...

For synth, the old trusty Yamaha cs80 (same story as with the hammond) and the more slightly modern SY99 (maybe because I know that one inside out)...

Of course, the old accoustic piano (a Nordiska Pianofabriken) that my granddad bought after visiting the factory and hand picking it has a cerain place as I spent countless hours.. but in terms of what truly gives me a musical 'hard on' (hey, I didn't start the sexy thing in the thread).. it is the hammond and the cs80.....

Originally posted by Pursuitboy:

Nothing is sexier than a Kurzweil PC2X.

Notice how Mariah touches the keyboard.

Did Kurzweil really put out an ad with Maria Carey?

The truth now

No - that thing's fake as can be...

Archived