Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

I don't really feel one way or the other about Coughlin.

The Coughlin extension is not, to me, an outrage. It's the Giants, young Messrs Mara and Tisch,

staying true the conservative Mara and George Young tradition. Tom got a one year extension, which means essentially he gets next year without being the proverbial lame duck. If the year is disappoitning and Cowher comes available, they're fire him as maybe they should have this time.

Coughlin, you all mus knowt, was Wellington Mara's man. He wanted him and had for a long time.

Okay with me. One more year of full committment to this QB too, I say. Let's see what he's got. The fat boy ain't going nowhere, and three years holding a clipboard is just about right for young QB. If Eli doesn't improve fast, he'll get his three years holding a clipboard soon too, though he'll be paid more handsomely for it.

I refuse to be part of a lynch mob, even though I think Eli is dogshit and that Tom burns a little uneven and may not, ultimately, be exactly what he thinks he is. Heh.

Go Chargers.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Tom Coughlin can find a better offensive coordinator and QB coach, he'll be fine.

Kevin Gilbride contributed significantly to the demise of Ryan Leaf. Leaf was a character risk to begin with, but Gilbride working with him in San Diego was like tossing gas onto the flame. Gilbride is one of the worst coaches I've ever seen when it comes to working with younger players like Ryan and Eli. His offense only works with well-seasoned veteran personnel.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Colvin must be to you guys what Shaun Phillips is to us - talented young OLB who finally got promoted this year after the vet OLB in front gave way.

Actually, Rosie Colvin has been in the league for years. He starred on the Chicago D that went 13-3 back in '02, then broke his hip. Pats picked him up for a song, and he was an integral part of the '04 edition that won the championship.

[qb]All fair statements. Trust me, I always hold my breath when opposing QBs throw in Florence's direction. Florence is the more spectacular athlete of our CB tandem, but he's also more of a gambler. Earlier in the season, he struggled with tackling but seems to have cleaned up his technique of late. Jammer is perceived as a PI machine but has garnered only 3 flags this year, which for him is a VAST improvement. Against your multi-WR sets, Florence moves inside to play slot WRs and Cromartie takes the outside. Cromartie has the most freakish upside of the three CBs but is also the greenest of a young group. I expect Brady to pick on Cromartie when available or Florence. Our SS Kiel has been a liability in pass coverage and is a reason TEs and RBs have made big plays over the middle against us. Phillips and Merriman were terrible in pass coverage last year, struggled some early this year (Merriman was dragged by Heap into the end zone for the winning Ravens TD), but have improved. Basically, your TEs will probably try to attack Kiel or backup MLB Cooper, who frequently spells the crafty vet Godfrey, but not really Edwards as he is our INT machine among the LBs.

The biggest matchup disadvantage in coverage, even for your LB's, is Ben Watson - he's a freak of nature. Unfortunately for us, that's kinda offset by the fact that he has decent hands, but not outstanding hands...

Sounds like it'll be a good battle between your OL and our front 7 then. Our OL similarly improved from having the same 4 guys together over 2 seasons. The one new guy is of course McNeill, who surprised everyone with his work ethic and learning as quickly as he did.

Indeed - the trench war in this game on both sides of the ball is going to be phenominal!

Not too worried, as the Chargers offense practices against a 3-4 defense (ours) on a weekly basis. I'm more concerned about him being confused and frustrated by the schemes you guys will cook up. The confusion and frustration is inevitable - the question is whether he can bounce back from it once it does happen.
Indeed. Nothing scarier to a rookie QB than the old 1-5 Nickel D. Just ask Peyton Manning - and he wasn't a rookie when we threw it at him!

[qb]Once again, thanks for the info! Did I mention I'm excited about this upcoming game?
LOL! Me too! :thu:

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

One thing that may have been overlooked is how the Patriots attack teams in the playoffs. Usually Belichick likes to take something away from the offense, in this case I think he will try and take away the Chargers running game, LT, and try to make Rivers beat them. I think it will be interesting to see if Pats do this, how do the Chargers respond. Can the Pats stop the running game? If yes can Rivers do enough to beat the Pats if the Chargers have trouble running the ball? I think these are some things to consider and watch to see how they unfold in the game.

Stacking the box against LT is the usual strategy for Charger opponents. We've been able to beat it because it leaves one less defender to cover Gates or a WR. The Chiefs and Raiders changed it up by gameplanning to stop Rivers instead, using man coverage schemes that confused the kid.

My guess is Belichick and his staff will use a mix of the two approaches, and make the calls unpredictable enough to give Rivers some fits. We were able to run on them last year because Seymour was playing hurt and I think Wilfork missed some playing time as well. The 2002 meeting in which LT rushed over 200, they had a 4-3 defense - no Wilfork, no Warren.

2002 was the year before they brought in FA Ted Washington to stuff the middle. Everyone, starting with KC and going right down the line that year, was able to rush on NE's defense.

That came to a screeching halt when Big Ted came to town. Too bad he grabbed the paycheck and ran to Oakland. No worries, though, Vince did just fine in his stead! ;)

Quote by Governorsilver:

--------------------------------------

If Tom Coughlin can find a better offensive coordinator and QB coach, he'll be fine.

Kevin Gilbride contributed significantly to the demise of Ryan Leaf. Leaf was a character risk to begin with, but Gilbride working with him in San Diego was like tossing gas onto the flame. Gilbride is one of the worst coaches I've ever seen when it comes to working with younger players like Ryan and Eli. His offense only works with well-seasoned veteran personnel.

--------------------------------------

I think Tom Coughlin is a hot head. He loses it all too often in front of players. He makes the players "sit in their seats with their feet on the floor" in meetings. It's one thing to be strict and to insist on being professional, but that to me is coming across like a kindergarden school teacher. I would insist that players show up on time for meetings, and let it go at that.

I don't see Eli making it at QB in NY, or anywhere. His mechanics suk and his team mates walk all over him. Like PLEXIGAS Burress. I'm so glad he's with the Giants now and not my Steelers. He has a lot of growing up to do.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I figured it might be fun, at least to me, to place our playoff game predictions on here for the rest of the playoff season.

Playoff Games This Week:

Indianapolis vs Baltimore - Baltimore

Philadelphia vs New Orleans - New Orleans

Seattle vs Chicago - Seattle

New England vs San Diego - New England

Side note, I am rooting for San Diego all the way. Myabe I should grow a pair and pick them but I don't want to jinx them. It seems every time I pick a team I want to win, they lose. I guess I'm hoping reverse psychology is true to form here.

Lastly I could see any of the teams winning and wouldn't be totally surprised. There are some good matchups this week.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Silver Dragon:

There's NO SUCH Things as a jinx, or "bad luck". That's all BS. Pick the Chargers if you're going to pick them.

I agree with your picks. The only game that would surprise me if the outcome is different is the Chicago/Seattle game. Grossman is lame, I think it would be an upset if the Bears win.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Picks this week:

Indianapolis vs Baltimore - Baltimore

The Ravens defense will pick Manning at least 2 times one resulting in a score.

Philadelphia vs New Orleans - New Orleans

This is a good match-up. Dawkins cannot cover all of the wide receivers simultaneously.

Seattle vs Chicago - Seattle

Grossman is inconsistent. Tommie Harris has been reduced to a cheerleader. Urlacher and Hester cannot do it alone.

New England vs San Diego - San Diego

The SD offense should be able to control the clock and generate points. Their defense should be able to put some pressure on Mr. Cool.

SDS, we agree on all but the last except through your reverse psychology. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Silver Dragon:

There's NO SUCH Things as a jinx, or "bad luck". That's all BS. Pick the Chargers if you're going to pick them.

I agree with your picks. The only game that would surprise me if the outcome is different is the Chicago/Seattle game. Grossman is lame, I think it would be an upset if the Bears win.

Mike T.

In reality you are correct. I guess it lessens the emotional blow for me if the team I wants to win loses. Its silly but I guess we all have our signature behaviors. :rolleyes:

- Rush

My struggle with this weekends games:

Weve heard and discussed every possible scenerio and matchup combination so far-

Chargers home record vs Pats road record, Chargers having the best offensive & defensive player in the league vs the best playoff coach and QB. Colts elite offense vs Ravens annialating D, Peyton's explosiveness vs McNairs calm. Drew Brees vs Lito Sheppard-less Eagles D.. Eagles hot streak vs Saints who have lost 4 of there last 5 at home.. Playoff home teams 4-0 last week. On and on and... I'm on overload!!

*clip protection engaged*

I think I'm just gonna sit my butt down, have some brews and enjoy these great games, as I have NO CLUE who's gonna win.

TROLL . . . ish.

I don't want to jinx my own team, and Griff and I already went over the various matchups (games within the game) between our respective teams so here are my picks for the other games:

IND @BAL - Ravens defense is awesome, but they've given up some big plays through the air. They'll slow down Indy's explosive offense, but their own offense will struggle to keep up. Colts win in a low scoring slugfest - probably a 16-14 type score.

PHI @NO - Garcia will rally his troops as best as he can, but the Saints offense will make too many plays with Lito Sheppard out. Saints take the barnburner.

SEA @CHI - Tough pick - Grossman's recently shaky ball security vs. an injury-depleted Seahawks. Not to mention the Bears have some injury problems themselves. Bears benefit from homefield.

Originally posted by meccajay:

I think I'm just gonna sit my butt down, have some brews and enjoy these great games, as I have NO CLUE who's gonna win.

:thu:

I'm right there with you. I have so many scenarios running through my head that I can't make my mind up.

Which teams will show up?

The veteran Seahawks who went to the Super Bowl last year or the out of synch Seaturkeys who had their butts handed to them on a few occasions?

The rough and ready Ravens who tear up people with their D or the offenseless team which can't score any points?

The all powerful Charges with LT or the old and tired Martyball team?

The 3 ring Pats or the receiverless team which got shut out just 4 weeks ago?

The best QB we have seen in the past decade version of Peyton or the past chockers of Peyton and Dungy fame?

The upstart veteran Eagles or the team that went 1-5 mid season.

The Cinderella Saints or the unproven young team?

So many questions. It's best just not to pick and sit back and watch the games unfold. Should be a great weekend of football.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Here we GO!

(can't even write that without Perry Farrell in my head, kicking off the groove to the Jane's Addiction song "Stop.")

Best damn football weekend of the year (best SPORTS weekend of the year??). This is the weekend fro the true fan. And honestly, I don't like the delayed Saturday start times. I'd much prefer the standard 1 and 4 EST, 'cause that would mean playoff football would only be 2 hours away and I wouldn't have to balance the night game with a visit from west coast in-laws tonight!

C'mon fellas, go ahead and make some predictions. Survival and Pick Em are behind us. :P

OTOH, I do understand the feeling of too many variables, just waiting and watching the games. Gotta love it!

Also, delaying the Saturday games force me to either get things done earlier in day or not at all. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by ProfD:

C'mon fellas, go ahead and make some predictions. Survival and Pick Em are behind us. :P

OTOH, I do understand the feeling of too many variables, just waiting and watching the games. Gotta love it!

Also, delaying the Saturday games force me to either get things done earlier in day or not at all. ;):cool:

I understand about getting things done, Prof D. I think I'll get nothing done today. I would also like to take this opportunity to change my pick from New England to San Diego. Of course if the Chargers lose, I will totally believe in jinx's all over again :D

- Rush

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Originally posted by ProfD:

[qb] I would also like to take this opportunity to change my pick from New England to San Diego. Of course if the Chargers lose, I will totally believe in jinx's all over again :D

As a Patriots fan I thank you for your support by jinxing your own team. :thu::D

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I dunno why, but I Love, LOVE the Colts as the dog in game one. I've been feeling this all week.

Final score: Colts, 20 - 17

My feelings on the NFC games are a bit more blase. Bears and Saints, sure, but who cares, really?

Saints, 27 - 17

Bears 17 - 9. Yep. 9. You heard it here first.

Then I like the Chargers to simply bull rush the mystique and win by 10 or more.

Chargers, 31-20

Originally posted by jackpine:

Baltimore

Philly

Da Bears

San Diego

Agreed. :thu:

That being said, I think any of the games (except for the Seattle/Chicago game - I don't think the Seahawks can beat the Bears in Chicago) could go easily go either way.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Almost halftime, game 1:

Hey, how about the maligned Colts D? Second in a row they're doing their job.

Peyton has not been sharp. I can't believe he didn't just lay it out there for Morehead of on that shoulda been TD, and, although none of the commentators said anything about, on the Ed Reed interception, Harrison had gotten behind the secondary. Peyton must've thought that Reed would be going with Marvin.

McNair's been bad but so what? His M.O. has always been to be bad for three quarters and great for one. Colts need a two score lead.

Go Colts!

(Love McNair, of course, but I have never ever been a fan of Billick or Ray Lewis...)

Dare I say it? The Indy D was...dominant? Can't believe I'm uttering the words.

Who alone on KC called it? Magpel alone on KC called it! Who drank abottle of wine alone while watching the game? Magpel drank a bottle of wine alone while watching the game...

I for one enjoyed watching the 13-3 Ravens lose at home in the playoffs. But that's neither here nor there. The story is the...sudden cajones of the Indianapolis Colts. Holding the Ravens to 6 points? Running out the clock with the running game? This is not your father's Colts...except for Marvin who once again had the look of a man who much prefers the regular season.

Awesome game though! And hey, for all the sh*t Peyton has taken for playoff failures, we must simply acknowledge that Steve McNair--a QB much less relied upon by his team than his Colt coutnerpart--didn't really show up today, couldn't make anything happen and made a few horrendous decisions. I love Steve, but fair's fair.

Great call for those who picked the Colts to win.

Baltimore's D showed up but their O could not put any points on the board.

Hats off to the Colts D for standing up and not putting the onus squarely on the O to win the game.

PD

Better team won, but props to the Iggles and especially to the positively ressurected Jeff Garcia, who was incredible and who should certainly be vying for starting job somehwere next year.

The Philly D, however, was whipped all night, and were it not for a 75 yard pass play and a 62 run, and an insane pitch call by a young head coach, this game wouldn't have been as close as it was.

The Eagles had every opportunity to win that game, for sure. They blew several key plays and were still given One More Chance at the end which went nowhere. New Orleans D was obviously a major factor as well....I definitely don't understand why Morninwheg kept running Westbrook up the middle...it kept not working, but they kept doing it. :rolleyes:

Excellent job by the Saints and the Colts. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by steadyb:

What, no props given to steadyb, who adopted the Saints as my other favorite team way back at the start of the season??? :eek::wave:

But you root for the Lackers which negates the Saints team adoption :eek::D

- Rush

Well.... O-2 so far.

I guess that's why they play'em.

I was going to just sit at home and watch my Bears play the Seahawks seeing as how I have a bigger TV than my local watering hole. Well my Packer friends were so insistent on me coming to the pub, they're putting up a video projector with ten foot screen in the dance hall.....

Could be a beer soaked day for me and my Bears. :thu:

Archived