Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Cowher handed in his resignation.

ESPN is now reporting the news that Art Shell will be done tomorrow. It is unclear if he is resigning or being fired.

Thats 5 coaches this week. Hopefully the football gods will smile on the Tampa fans and make Gruden #6 sometime soon.

I wonder if the Raiders'd take Chucky back...there was good chemistry there - at least there seemed to be...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild game. I was of the mind that if Grammatica had kicked that FG, Seattle probably would have gotten Josh Brown a crack at the win. They would have 1:10 or 1:15 to do it and had been moving the ball well.

I hate it when teams--even teams I hate--lose on career-defining individual mistakes.

BTW that was a big mark overturn on the play before the botched hold, huh?

First game was bizarre too.

Go Giants&Jets

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

Go Giants&Jets

The only place the Giants and Jets are going today is home... :evil::D

In all seriousness Mags - good luck to yer G-men...should be a good game.

Go Iggles! :thu:

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

[The only place the Giants and Jets are going today is home... :evil::D

db you obviously don't have to twist my arm to hard to concede that you're probably right about that. I expect a good NFC east type game, though, that is if the Giants D can get themselves off the field with any regularity.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Well, the "experts" at ESPN picked the Chiefs and Cowboys to win yesterday.

Chiefs? Win in the post season? :rolleyes:

Good one. :D

Re: Dallas - I don't know how anyone who saw them play in December could have picked them to win - especially after that loss to the hapless Lions at home last weekend with the division championship on the line.

Sure, they made a game of it...but in the end they just couldn't put it away. :P

dB

Pats and Jets was a good game until the last 5 minutes. I also expect the 2 half to be very entertaining between the Gmen and Eagles. Not sure who I want to win since I'm indifferent to either team. I know Dave and Mags have their teams playing so I'll just say I'm looking forward to a competitive and entertaining 2nd half.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

What a great game! :thu:

Could've easily gone either way... :cool:

dB

I was doing the "I can't watch" thing during the last FG. I imagine half the stadium was too! What a good win for the Eagles, and kudos to Tiki Barber for a fantastic career. I'm glad the Eagles won't see him again! :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Tough loss for New York after overcoming second down and thirty yards for the game tying touchdown. Props to both teams for a game well played.

After having watched Madden and Michaels fawning over Brett Favre in what may have been his last game, I was surprised that Fox didn't even interview Tiki Barber after what was certainly his last game. Instead of focussing on Barber's great career, it seemed like all Joe Buck could do was pick apart Eli Manning. Personally, I'd much rather hear John Madden's abundant praise than Joe Buck's constant negativity. YMMV.

Best of luck to Philadelphia in the next round and to Tiki Barber in his post-NFL career.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Looks like another hot playoff season so far!

- So much for degrading the Colts D and taking them lightly. Anythony 'Booger' McFarland's a great late season aquisition for that D line. No more running on the Colts at will. That said, Herm shoulda pulled the trigger on Trent Green and played Huard the 2nd half.

- E-A-G-L-E-S ! ! Giants played pretty hard, with a hobbled Shockey gutting it out. Even Eli stepped up in the 4th quarter after a nice toungue lashing by coach Gilbride. I'm sure Gilbride reminded him that at the rate Eli was playing Gilbride would be unemployed at the end of the week! Speaking of which, who do you want as there next coach Mags?

- Props to the Falcons picking up Petrino from Louisville, who specializes in offense and left handed mobile QB's. Also, ex coach Mora looking very nice on the NBC pre-game show.

- Does everyone feel like I do, that somehow we all kinda took the Patriots too lightly. In any event, that Chargers/Pats game next week should be epic! Ali/Frasier epic!!

- It's hard for anyone not to love Brian Westbrook.

- Props to Sean Peyton for getting coach of the year. Not looking forward to my Eagles going to New Orleans next weekend to face him and his offense. On the other hand, since the reinvention of Jeff Garcia, every playoff game is like a gift at this point.

- I felt kinda bad for Dallas at the end of that Seattle game. I guess it's because I still have asoft spot for Parcels. Also, poor Tony Romo! A couple months ago he was the next Montana, now he's lost 4 out his last 5, and credited with the biggest post season fumble since Ernest Byner!

TROLL . . . ish.

The NYG hung a little tough, but it would not be a true NYG loss if there weren't at least one catastrophic loss of composure, and in this case it was easy to spot: inexplicably and completely unnecesaarily, they burned two time outs on that tying TD drive, and that allowed Philly to run the clock out on their last drive.

Too bad 'cause for the most part our maligned D hung pretty well -- lotsa stops even though Westbrook had a big day.

New regime, please. If we have to suffer for a while so be it. Give the prince one more year to look and act and play like a viable long term starting QB. Good that Tiki's gone! Let's see how Eli handles the extra responsibility! Let's really find out what we got here!

First off, congrats to all the playoff winners!

I hope Romo doesn't become another Mark Wohlers. What a sad way to end a season, messing up the hold for a field goal attempt. What a bizarre end.

I thought the Eagles would beat the Giants, but I must credit the Giants for playing them tough.

The AFC Divisional Round matchups were as I figured they would be: Colts @Ravens, Patriots @Chargers. Many thought the Chiefs would just run over the Colts. My problem with that hypothesis is that the Chiefs were a poor road team all season, and I saw no reason for this to change, going into a loud, hostile stadium against an explosive offense. A real surprise for me was the below-average (for them) play of Manning and Harrison - the two were clearly not on the same page for good portions of the game. They will have to play like their old selves to win in Baltimore. Another was the Patriots margin of victory over the Jets, considering how close their regular season games were. I thought the Patriots' greater playoff savvy would be the deciding factor, but not to the tune of a blowout.

Both AFC games will be exciting to watch:

Colts @Ravens - Old Baltimore team vs. New Baltimore team with all the emotional implications. Manning and his star receivers vs. the Ravens' fast and hard-hitting D. The Colts D is familiar with McNair and Mason from their Titans days - who has the advantage in their matchup against the improved Ravens O?

Patriots @Chargers - Some people are pegging this as an automatic win for the Pats, based on their 3 recent Superbowl wins, Brady-Belichick's playoff record, etc. On the other hand, the Chargers have won 2 straight against the Pats and LT had great rushing numbers in those 2 wins. Can Brady exploit our weakness at pass coverage in the middle? He has the TEs to do it. Can the our Front 7 disrupt him enough? Will Marty continue to let our offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron, have free reign or will he force us to turtle up? How will Rivers respond to the playoff atmosphere and amount of pressure the Patriots are sure to dial up against him?

I watched ESPN2's recap of the Browns-Broncos "The Fumble" game. What irony for Earnest Byner in that even though he moved on and continued to have a good NFL career, even winning a Superbowl ring with the Redskins, he's still remembered more for "The Fumble" than his Superbowl win.

Marty's Browns were unusually pass happy in that game, due to falling behind early.

Governer, very true about Byners success. I lived in DC at that time, and he was a welcome addition and contributed heavily to that Redskins superbowl team.

Also ironic is that the bigger fumble in the Dallas game may have been the one by Terry Glenn.

TROLL . . . ish.

Quote by Meccajay:

-------------------------------------------

I felt kinda bad for Dallas at the end of that Seattle game. I guess it's because I still have asoft spot for Parcels. Also, poor Tony Romo! A couple months ago he was the next Montana, now he's lost 4 out his last 5, and credited with the biggest post season fumble since Ernest Byner!

------------------------------------------

Yep, it suks to be Tony Romo right now. John Madden mentioned that the ball looked "shiny". It could very well have been slippery. According to Peter King, the NFL has 12 balls in a box on the sideline the Ref's use for special teams plays. Great, they take a brand new ball out of a box and put it in play for a game winning/losing kick. Duh! How stupid is that?

As a Steelers fan, I'm no Dallas fan, but I feel really bad for Tony Romo.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Why did the Giants stop running the ball? :confused:

Tiki and Brandon could have punished the Eagles on the ground. That would have opened up a better passing game for Eli.

After all, NYG only had two real receiving threats, Burress and Shockey.

Guess Jacobs' fumble in the last game kept him on the bench.

Brian Westbrook is the most underrated RB in the NFL. Yet, he continues to get the job done every week.

I believe the NFL hates to see a cat retire in his prime. Guess they figure a football player should only retire when he is all broken up and/or no longer of use to the league. :rolleyes:

At any rate, Coughlin is so fired. Will Gilbride get another chance to be a head coach?

Actually, Coughlin's militaristic approach might suit an Oakland Raiders team which seems to be in lack of discipline.

I asked in the NCAA thread but what do you all think of Bobby Petrino getting the Falcons head coaching gig?

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Patriots @Chargers - Some people are pegging this as an automatic win for the Pats, based on their 3 recent Superbowl wins, Brady-Belichick's playoff record, etc.

Ummmmm...

May I ask who?

Everyone I've heard talk, every post I've read online (other than yours), all point to this being a gimme for the Chargers...

I like the earlier comparison - Ali/Frazier - 8-0 home team vs. 7-1 road team. The aging, but wiley veterans vs. the young upstarts. Experience vs. youth, all over the field. Gonna be one for the ages, and while I'm HOPING the Pats win, deep down inside I have no idea how it's gonna turn out....

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

At this point, no team has my respect more than the Chargers.

And no coach has my respect more than Bill Belichick.

The Chargers / Patriots game may be this year's real Super Bowl.

Should be a great matchup. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Quote by Griffinator:

-----------------------------------------

May I ask who?

Everyone I've heard talk, every post I've read online (other than yours), all point to this being a gimme for the Chargers...

I like the earlier comparison - Ali/Frazier - 8-0 home team vs. 7-1 road team. The aging, but wiley veterans vs. the young upstarts. Experience vs. youth, all over the field. Gonna be one for the ages, and while I'm HOPING the Pats win, deep down inside I have no idea how it's gonna turn out....

-----------------------------------------

Griff, don't forget, the PATS have a SECRET Weapon. MARTY is the coach of the Chargers. If he trys to play MARTYBALL against the Pats, he'll be back in the television booth next season. :D

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Patriots @Chargers - Some people are pegging this as an automatic win for the Pats, based on their 3 recent Superbowl wins, Brady-Belichick's playoff record, etc.

Ummmmm...

May I ask who?

It seemed like the majority of the TV analysts/commentators almost immediately predicted Patriot domination after the Patriots win and before/during the Giants-Eagles broadcast. This ESPN poll currently reads 51% Patriots, 49% Chargers: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs06/series?series=nwesdg

I, too, am very excited for this game. Here's to no injuries for either team.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Griff, don't forget, the PATS have a SECRET Weapon. MARTY is the coach of the Chargers. If he trys to play MARTYBALL against the Pats, he'll be back in the television booth next season. :D

Mike T.

That's a big question indeed. Will Marty continue to stay out of offensive coordinator Cam Cameron's way?

Archived