Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by meccajay:

Defensive player of the year- Shawne Merriman. 15 sacks and he missed 4 games?!! Sorry Jason Taylor! Honorable mention to Champ Bailey.

Here, I gotta disagree. Champ Bailey is the only true "shutdown" corner in the league. One way or another, if you throw it to his side of the field, you're going to regret it!
Well Merriman is still my choice.. He or Champ or Jason Taylor are all great choices. If either of those guys win, I'd be fine with it.
TROLL . . . ish.

AFC is win-and-in for Den and NYJ--both of whom actually enjoy pretty viable lose-and-in scenarios as well.

NFC scenario is...well, it's worth a direct quote because it all combines down to a strength of victory rating. The pathetique NYG, who have gone from 6-2 to 7-8, are not precisely win and in:

N.Y. Giants can clinch a playoff berth with:

1. A win and clinch strength of victory tiebreaker over Green Bay OR...

[edited out sdome bizarre, tie-based scenarios]

N.Y. Giants clinch strength of victory tiebreaker over Green Bay if:

1. Detroit or Minnesota lose

2. Any two of the following results occur: Arizona loss, Miami loss, San Francisco loss, Carloina win, Houston win, Tampa Bay win.

That's some strange sh*t right there.

Luckily, I'm a passionate eneough football fan to easily overcome the NYG embarrassment and move into the playoffs with interest undiminished (augmented, even, as the Chargers have long been my 2nd team).

If the Giants get in and lose in round 1, their season is still an official failure and farce--no more so than Seattle's, really, but who wants that? If however we get in and win a road game, I'd say some pride, and maybe Coughlin's reign, will have been salvaged.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

So, which teams will be in need of a head coach after this season?

I would guess Arizona, Oakland and Pittsburgh.

Considering the success of Mangini and Payton, the Bidwells may look for a younger head coach. Someone that may have a better chance of connecting with their young team.

Art Shell may get a reprieve if he can come up with a damn good plan for revamping the O-Line and overall team management.

I don't think Bill Cowher will get fired. He'll retire.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

...However, there has been a probably unsubstantiated rumor that Charlie Weiss is looking to leave ND and head coach in the pros, in which case I would drop Coulghlin on half a heartbeat of a nervous mouse on meth.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by Magpel:

...drop Coulghlin on half a heartbeat of a nervous mouse on meth.

LOL John! Has anyone ever told you that you have a way with words? :D

Best,

Geoff

Geoff, I think words have a way with me...

Don Banks\' Votes for Associated Press\' NFL 2006 Awards

That said, I have one of the 50 votes in the Associated Press' coach and player awards, and here's how I have my ballot filled out pending the results of Week 17:

MVP -- Tomlinson, based on both his value to the Chargers' 13-2 season and his overwhelming record-breaking performance.

Offensive Player -- Drew Brees. His 4,372 yards passing lead the league, and his NFC-best 26 touchdowns and 96.1 rating make him deserving of an honor all his own.

Defensive Player -- Shawne Merriman. The San Diego linebacker is the most disruptive defensive force in the league. His four-game suspension hurt him, but as the current rules are written, it did not disqualify him.

Comeback Player -- Chad Pennington, because no one has overcome more to enjoy renewed success. Pennington's two shoulder surgeries beat out Brees' one.

Offensive Rookie -- Marcus McNeill. Deserving skill-player candidates for this honor were everywhere. But the job turned in by the Chargers' offensive left tackle is even more impressive and should not be overlooked.

Defensive Rookie -- DeMeco Ryans. The Houston linebacker was a play-maker from start to finish in 2006.

Coach -- Eric Mangini. The Jets started the season with a question mark at quarterback, no discernible running game, and the youngest head coach in the NFL, who had never been the top man anywhere but for a semipro team in Australia. Kudos to Sean Payton of the Saints, whose turnaround was inspiring, but Mangini is going to go 10-6 and make the playoffs in the NFL's best conference.

Despite what I said earlier about the Defensive Player Award, I find Banks' votes to be solid - I can't argue with any of them.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Don Banks\' Votes for Associated Press\' NFL 2006 Awards

That said, I have one of the 50 votes in the Associated Press' coach and player awards, and here's how I have my ballot filled out pending the results of Week 17:

MVP -- Tomlinson, based on both his value to the Chargers' 13-2 season and his overwhelming record-breaking performance.

Offensive Player -- Drew Brees. His 4,372 yards passing lead the league, and his NFC-best 26 touchdowns and 96.1 rating make him deserving of an honor all his own.

Defensive Player -- Shawne Merriman. The San Diego linebacker is the most disruptive defensive force in the league. His four-game suspension hurt him, but as the current rules are written, it did not disqualify him.

Comeback Player -- Chad Pennington, because no one has overcome more to enjoy renewed success. Pennington's two shoulder surgeries beat out Brees' one.

Offensive Rookie -- Marcus McNeill. Deserving skill-player candidates for this honor were everywhere. But the job turned in by the Chargers' offensive left tackle is even more impressive and should not be overlooked.

Defensive Rookie -- DeMeco Ryans. The Houston linebacker was a play-maker from start to finish in 2006.

Coach -- Eric Mangini. The Jets started the season with a question mark at quarterback, no discernible running game, and the youngest head coach in the NFL, who had never been the top man anywhere but for a semipro team in Australia. Kudos to Sean Payton of the Saints, whose turnaround was inspiring, but Mangini is going to go 10-6 and make the playoffs in the NFL's best conference.

Despite what I said earlier about the Defensive Player Award, I find Banks' votes to be solid - I can't argue with any of them.
While I can't fault any of his selections, I want to offer some other options, I guess a devils advocate of sorts :evil:

Offensive rookie - Colston- New Orleans; great year, stats and a big part of the Saints success.

Young - Tennessee; Has any rookie meant more to his team or thrived in what was thought to be a lost cause?

Honorable Mention - Hester - Chicago; Fun one to watch.

Coach - Sean Peyton - New Orleans. While Mangini is certainly deserving, my vote goes to Peyton.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Here's a guy I'd wished I'd seen play at least once.. I've heard nothing but great things about him!

Regarding Merriman, I pick him simply beacuse the steroid event appeared to be an accident, something he was unaware of. It's doesn't appear to be something he intentionally took outside of it being a supplement. If this happens again I'll know better, but as of now I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because it's not like he grew tremendously between seasons like some baseball players, he's always been very big and very fast.

Regarding Mangini, good choice, he's a very good coach. I just think Peyton was a better one this year. They both had some players, but unlike Mangini, coach Peyton didn't know what he had as a team other than an exciting rookie, and a rich mix of vets who'd underachieved and free agents. You already know what the Jets are capable of if Penningtons healthy.

6 in one hand I guess..

TROLL . . . ish.

If you think steroids are an accident, you are living with blinders on! People will always try to beat the system. The system gets better, then the people who try to beat it take it to the next level.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Originally posted by DanL:

If you think steroids are an accident, you are living with blinders on! People will always try to beat the system. The system gets better, then the people who try to beat it take it to the next level.

Its difficult and I believe impossible to say with absolute certainty. While I believe the great majority are purposeful, I can't believe there can't be instances where players make an honest mistake. I don't know whether this is true or not in Merriman's case. I think we need to look at each case individually and then make a decision.

- Rush

And likewise, Geoff, sorry to you, now that the Packers are all but eliminated. Pretty good year 1 for McCarthy, wouldn't you say? I'm also of the mind that Favre will not belabor his decision this offseason. That was pretty tortuous last year. For PR reasons if no others, he needs to be clear and decisive. IMO, I watched him play several games this year, and it seems to me he's got plenty of football left.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Tiki!

Congrats, John.

Best,

Geoff

Tiki!

Congrats Magpel. Tiki thrashed us pretty good.

Considering that was his last regular season game, I don't feel so bad.

Still think we should have done a better job in the defensive game plan.

Do you still feel that Coughlin should go? ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by ProfD:

Tiki!

Do you still feel that Coughlin should go? ;):cool:
Well, the NYG are a famously conservative organization that changes slowly, that doesn;t yield to fine/media pressure. That's the Mara way, especially the George Young way, the Accorsi way too.

Decent coaches are not to be fired lightly. Still, there have been many warning signs in Coughlin's brief tenure here. The first, and worst, was the absolute no-show performance in a home playoff game against the Panthers last year. Not sure if you remember what a pathetic performance that was. The D had an excuse. My grandmother and I, for example, were starting at OLB. But the offense, the vaunted offense, did not cross the Carolina 40 all day. Shockey, Tiki, Eli, Plax, Burress...wow.

Then this year--form 6-2 to 7-8 with all manner of profligate, wasteful losses that never should have happened, gutless performances, countless undisciplined mistakes from a veteran, talented team--there are many kinds of bad; this was the kind of bad that pointed directly at the coaching staff.

I think, objectively, that Coughin will be back, and that a playoff win will seal it.

And likewise, Geoff, sorry to you, now that the Packers are all but eliminated.

Thanks, John. At least I didn't start to get my hopes up until last week, and I remain hopeful for next season. I guess there's still the faintest glimmer of hope today, but a whole lot of games have to go a specific way for Green Bay to replace New York in the last Wildcard spot and that's just one step away from impossible, so why go there?

Anyway, I think the Giants are better team than their 8-8 record would indicate; and it'll be fun to watch Tiki in the playoffs one last time. Last but not least, it's a nice consolation prize that if my team didn't make the playoffs, then at least yours did. :cool:

Pretty good year 1 for McCarthy, wouldn't you say?

Actually, "pretty good" is exactly the way I'd describe it. He neither exceeded nor fell short of my expectations.

I'm also of the mind that Favre will not belabor his decision this offseason. That was pretty tortuous last year. For PR reasons if no others, he needs to be clear and decisive. IMO, I watched him play several games this year, and it seems to me he's got plenty of football left.

I think we'll hear from Brett once his off-season ankle surgery has healed. My guess is that if he's good to go, he'll come back and see if this young squad really lives up to the potential he thought it had. (You may recall that Favre said last summer that this may be the most talented team on which he's ever played. Talented, but inexperienced of course.)

If tonight is Brett's last game, then I'm glad that it's going to be televised nationally. I just hope he finishes the season with a win.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Giants are a dangerous team and with the weak NFC I could see them pulling a Pittsburgh though I could also see them losing in the first round. Hard team to figure.

Its interesting but Marty Schottenheimer is apparently on the hot seat. His job is apparently going to be based on the Chargers performance in the playoffs. If they don't make it to at least the AFC championship game, he could be let go. My guess would be they will see the Pats or the Jets in the first round. Both could present problems for them.

- Rush

Originally posted by jackpine:

Eat steroids and you don't get awards. Makes sense to me.

Originally posted by DanL:

If you think steroids are an accident, you are living with blinders on!

Shawne Merriman = cheater.

No awards for cheaters.

Hooray for the Detroit Lions!!!!! :cool:

Not only did they assure Da Iggles of winning the division, but their victory also locked up the first place draft pick for the Raiders. :)

...and I got to watch Dallas get beaten at home for the second week in a row...by one of the worst teams in the league.... :evil:

Doesn't get much better than that..... :thu::D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Hooray for the Detroit Lions!!!!! :cool:

Not only did they assure Da Iggles of winning the division, but their victory also locked up the first place draft pick for the Raiders.

...and I got to watch Dallas get beaten at home for the second week in a row...by one of the worst teams in the league.... :evil:

Doesn't get much better than that..... :evil:

dB

Yeah, it was a pretty good weekend for me too.

I even see the Oakland (t)Raiders getting the first pick as a good thing -- they'll blow even more of Al Davis' money on whatever bust they end up picking. :P

Nice win for my Niners. It's been a real up and down season for this young team, but I'm really hoping for good things next year.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Wow! Did anyone else see the post-game interview with Brett Favre? It sure seemed like he's decided to retire. :(

If so, this wasn't a bad way to go out -- four straight wins, the last of which was a decisive victory over the best team in the NFC. Tonight's victory also means that Favre has still only had one losing season in his career (in 2005).

What an emotional football day it's been for me! First, both of my favorite teams (the Packers and the Broncos) were eliminated from the playoffs. Then, Green Bay had an unexpectedly wonderful game against the Bears; and finally, Brett Favre all but announced his retirement.

In the remote chance that Favre decides to return in 2007, the Packers have plenty of room under the salary cap to bolster this young, talented squad with top-notch veterans. It would sure be great to see Brett go out the way John Elway did; but sadly, I don't think Favre will stick around to try for that ending...

Congratulations to John (Magpel) for winning this year's Pick 'em Pool, and congrats those of you whose teams made the playoffs. I'm rooting for a Chargers/Saints Super Bowl. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived